Gravity water fill burping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Gravity water fill burping

We do most of our Scamping without hookups. This means we often fill the water tank by hand (one gallon at a time). If I am very patient, a rare thing, all goes smoothy. But usually I am in a hurry and the water burps back at me as I fill the tank and the ground gets muddy and my shoes get spotty. I make sure the tank vent is open but I think the filler hose is somewhat kinked from the factory and incoming water and outgoing air seems to collide despite the vent. I am planning to replace the whole hose and external water fill contraption. Has anyone experience similar issues and found a solution? Maybe I need a larger diameter vent hose or a kink proof filler hose.

Thanks in advance, john

I know it is heresy, but here's a pic of another rig I admire. I expect it gets very high MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0111.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
John, I find this filler very handy. It's just a clear vinyl tube with a shutoff valve that attaches to your hose. You can pinch the tip to better fit in the guards found in the filler neck. It sure beats holding a 5 gallon jug over the opening whenever you have the luxury of a hose nearby.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you have the old "urinal" style filler, it is a simple matter to switch to the one which Scamp is using now. It has a screw on lid and fits the nozzle on the green plastic jerry can sold by Walmart in the camping section.
This makes an excellent no spill, rapid fill system which also allows an extra seven gallons to be ready at the rear bumper when needed.
The filler should be available at any local RV sales place.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0116.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Are you sure the overflow/vent tube is clear? Insects can crawl up in there and plug it off. Good to see that Scamp is using the newer style filler.
wc
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Shaker siphon hose. Fast and burpless.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
overfill valve

I had an old vw one time that would do this very thing got to checking and the overfill valve was full of mud!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Are you sure the overflow/vent tube is clear? Insects can crawl up in there and plug it off. Good to see that Scamp is using the newer style filler.
wc
This suggestion might be what you need to inspect. I had the same problem, slow filling and "burping". I cannot blame any insects, the vent/overflow was kinked at its highest point, underneath the bench. I had to remove the clip with two screws that was forcing the small hose into too much of a bend. It had to be that way from the factory. No problems now.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #8

Name: Warren
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Washer machine hose filler

I replace washing machine hoses on rental properties on a regular basis. The old hoses, especially if rubber, can be cut in half and will make excellent filler hoses. the end connection will connect to a hose and the cut end can slip into the filler port. Since the water going through the filler hose is not in contact but for a brief second, I do not worry about any contamination from the piece of hose.
W Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
The problem Ihad was just like you have described. I fixed it by sliding a small diameter tube down into the filler about tube about two feet long. The original vent tube exits in the “urinal” style filler, which is usuall under water, so this new tube is pulled up above the opening/water fill so that there is no more burping under water as the air is escaping. When I had access to water from a hose, I would attacth the hose via a small barbed fitting to this new vent tube, and fill the tank via it. The original vent tube will work properly with this method as there is no venting done under water.
I’m glad Scamp has addressed this issue on it’s new units.
Best of luck with whatever choice you go with.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #10

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
I had the same issue with my Bigfoot. I found that by making sure the longer side of the bevel cut end was up the problem all but went away.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Look in the troll hole over the water tank. With the inlet to your right. The top of the water tank on the left side of the tank is the overflow vent. That hose runs down through the floor. Make sure that hose is not blocked or pinched closed. That hose lets air flow out the tank as you fill the tank with water and when tank fills full excess water will flow out that vent and drain under the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #12

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
We do most of our Scamping without hookups. This means we often fill the water tank by hand (one gallon at a time). If I am very patient, a rare thing, all goes smoothy. But usually I am in a hurry and the water burps back at me as I fill the tank and the ground gets muddy and my shoes get spotty. I make sure the tank vent is open but I think the filler hose is somewhat kinked from the factory and incoming water and outgoing air seems to collide despite the vent. I am planning to replace the whole hose and external water fill contraption. Has anyone experience similar issues and found a solution? Maybe I need a larger diameter vent hose or a kink proof filler hose.

Thanks in advance, john

I know it is heresy, but here's a pic of another rig I admire. I expect it gets very high MPG.
Buy a funnel with a large opening and a long flexible tail on it about 10 inches long that will fit into the fill tube. Sometimes used by mechanics to fill oil after an oil change. Seems like the water burps unless it can go in further in the filler tube. Found this trick and have had no problem for years. Another reason can be if the filler is downhill then the water won't run right. We carry our funnel in our water bag with hose, etc. Our funnel is square at the top.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post

Thanks in advance, john

:sounds like either the Vent tube over filler hose, or overflow has a bee nest or something blocking one or the other, empty your tank again get a small air compressor and pump all hoses with Air one at a time, it will either blow whatever is in there out.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote