Greasing and Wheel Bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Greasing and Wheel Bearings

Hoping to get some advice regarding greasing the wheel bearings on a 2020 13' Scamp. We got the Scamp a year ago and managed a few trips totaling less than 2,000 miles.

We just took it out from storage behind the garage, have a trip coming up in a few weeks and I am wondering if I need to grease the wheel bearings. My guess is that I should.

Would someone be able to point me to a youtube video or website that explains what I need to do/steps I need to take since this part is new to me? Last summer I knew this was coming up so my grease gun is already loaded!

Thanks in advance for your FGRV wisdom!
MSFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
On a brand new rig that is barely used you shouldn't need to grease your bearings for 5 years. Others will disagree but seriously they are not that fragile.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Lippert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFrancis View Post
Would someone be able to point me to a youtube video or website that explains what I need to do/steps I need to take since this part is new to me? Last summer I knew this was coming up so my grease gun is already loaded!Thanks in advance for your FGRV wisdom!
Scamp says, “New trailers with EZ-lUBE hubs will run hot for the first couple of hundred miles until the bearings seat.” So, I’m not sure how to tell how hot is too hot.
On mine one side was much hotter than the other. I inspected / packed and re-tightened both and they now run about 30 degrees above ambient
temperature.
AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:18 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Use the correct grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFrancis View Post
Would someone be able to point me to a youtube video or website that explains what I need to do/steps I need to take since this part is new to me? Last summer I knew this was coming up so my grease gun is already loaded!
Thanks in advance for your FGRV wisdom!
It is no longer the big job that it was. You should inspect the brakes/bearings now and then but new grease is now very easy. I have used this for about 10,000 miles on my Scamp.
https://smile.amazon.com/Timken-GR22...6379194&sr=8-8
AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I agree that new sfuff will last a long time but it bugs me till I stick my nose in there and see for myself that everything is as it should be.
I don't have a vid source for you but I'm sure there are lots.
You'll feel at ease rollin down the highway knowing you got greasy bearings, lol
Fred
Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
I own a Casita 2019 and for peace of mind, I paid to have it done. For me it was $50. Well worth it. I also had them adjust the brakes.
Enjoy your camper. They are great.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Easy rule of thumb: Drive at highway speeds for 50 plus miles, stop, and feel the wheel hubs on the trailer. If you can hold your hand on them - they will be warmer than ambient - you're good to go.
As others have said, no need to add grease until 10 to 20 thousand miles.
Do you keep a log of trailer mileage?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
When I picked up my trailer new from the dealership I checked the hubs when I got home and they were barely warm. I checked them again after traveling about 100km on our first trip, still barely warm. Subsequent checks during the season gave the same results. At the end of the season I removed the wheels to check for any play in the bearings and also how much grease was present. Everything was good.
The EZ-lube hubs make it easy to add additional grease to these bearings. I've checked mine many times but only added grease once as the bearings always had sufficient grease. Properly greased and sealed wheel bearings shouldn't need to be greased very often and should last a long time.
One exception I've seen is regarding boat trailers which are often submerged during launch. It's not so much that the water washes out the grease from the bearing as it is that the water penetrates the bearing seals and contaminates the grease. These small drops of water cause the bearings to corrode and subsequently fail.
Unless your wheel bearing have been submerged in water they should be good for years. By all means, check them on a regular basis but don't be surprised if everything is good.
As an aside, I've heard reports of too much grease being a problem. Pumping grease into a wheel bearing that is already full may impair the seals and cause them to leak.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Look at your paperwork. Mine is every 12 thousand miles. I did over that last summer.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #10

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Some owners of new Bigfoots have reported wheel bearing failures on new trailers. Little to no grease in the bearings. On a trailer that is new to you, or brand new, the bearings need to be greased.

Charles
Old 03-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #11

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
It's not a big job, But! If you don't know what you are doing. It's easy to mess up the inner Bearing when taking it out. Have someone show you how to do it the first time.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14' Burro WB
Illinois
You should inspect yearly. I have a 2013 Escape 19. I inspect yearly and usually end up repacking about every three years. I packed them in 2018 and inspected them every year. Last fall, 2020, I did my inspection and they were clearly in need of repacking. It showed no evidence of a seal failure and no grease streaks. Yet, when I did an inspection one was in really bad shape. I ended up replacing all the bearings with a good USA bearing.

I use Mystic red wheel bearing grease and have never had trouble. So, I still recommend inspecting annually. You can never tell when something is up until you look. I am really glad I did.