Great Fraying Fibreglass, Batman! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Wink Great Fraying Fibreglass, Batman!

Here's a little safety tip. While working around the opening to the forward storage in our 76 Trillium, and drilling a mounting hole there, I started noticing that familiar itchy sensation on the backs of my hands and forearms, just like working with fibreglass bats without gloves. Checking more closely, I realized that I'd inadvertently exposed a tiny bit of the inner glass strands. What's more, closer examination revealed that there were more exposed strands around the unprotected inner edge of the compartment access holes. Checking the rest of the trailer, I find that all of the compartments that have swinging doors have a good edge molding protecting the edge from damage but the access holes to the storage areas under the bunks do not. I checked the inside surfaces of all the compartments and they are solid and just fine.

My advice? Check these edges, and if they aren't protected, cover them with something. I plan to run a brush with fibreglass resin on it along the edges and then install some edge molding, like the door cabinets, just to be safe. Also, if you're going to drill holes, make sure you clean up well afterwards and coat exposed edges with something - resin or even shellac. You don't want those sharp little bits of glass floating around!

Why was I drilling holes? I was mounting the frame I built to keep the top bunk safe for our grand kids. That's why I'm extra safe!

Randy
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote