Green Propane Bottles, REFILLABLE? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have seen the refillable green 1 pound probane bottles. Looking at an all electric Egg but need to use some sort of cooking when not pluged in to 110v. These bottles are 2x the price of the non-refillable and it would take about 50 bottles to realize the cost savings with the adapter and LPG tank cost.

Has anybody done this?
Is it worth it?
Is it Safe?
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 88 Cadet
The green bottles are non re-fillable in Canada, but apparantly they are in the US. I would argue against trying it yourself. Why would you not consider a 20lb tank (or even a 5lb tank) for this?
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There is an old saying, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should." The green propane bottles are considered "disposable," not "refillable." You MAY be able to refill, but there's no guarantee to be leak free. The only way I'd ever transport a refilled green propane bottle is out in the open. Not in my trailer and not in my tug. I have friends that nearly lost their 5th wheel to refilled green propane bottles being transported in the "basement." Toooooo scary for me. I'd get a 5 lb. made-to-be-refilled propane tank and be safe: http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-1005...l/dp/B000243QA0
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
I carry a 10 lb tank for the outdooe stove and table top BBQ. On the weekend I made a new tongue mount to carry it from some eyebolts and a 1/8 X 1" strap. With a hose I can have my stove anywhere up to 8 feet from the trailer or it only takes a minute to move the tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	004__640x427_.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	28557
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
I have seen the refillable green 1 pound probane bottles. Looking at an all electric Egg but need to use some sort of cooking when not pluged in to 110v. These bottles are 2x the price of the non-refillable and it would take about 50 bottles to realize the cost savings with the adapter and LPG tank cost.

Has anybody done this?
Is it worth it?
Is it Safe?
You can buy the refilling hose from Harbor Freight.
Wally P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
You can buy the refilling <strike>hose</strike> Kit from Harbor Freight.
Harbor Freight Propane Bottle Refill Kit
According to Harbor Freight:
"Use this handy solid-brass coupler to refill your standard 16.4 oz. propane bottles from your portable 20 lb. (or up to 40 lb.) tank. [b]It's safe and legal, so you no longer have to dispose of, or pay for, those small propane bottles. Also works the other way around if you'd like to use the 16.4 oz. bottles as reserve LP."
Old 06-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
1. Has anybody done this?
2. Is it worth it?
3. Is it Safe?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
5# bottle $32
5# fill-up $15

The 1# bottles are $3 now (in Podunk Jctn . .$5)

With the stove, lantern and heater, I will go thru a bottle a day when boondocking

So you do the calculations.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
It cost me $8 last fall to fill the 10 lb tank and $16 last week to fill the 20 lb one.
And I can use them on the back yard BBQ when ever it runs out of fuel in the middle of cooking for company.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:

Has anybody done this?
Is it worth it?
Is it Safe?
Hi James,

A friend bought my husband and I one of these as a stocking stuffer a few years ago so that we could save our bottles. My DH has tried it several times, but we have given up. Sometimes it fills the 1lb bottles fine, sometimes they end up leaking everything that you put in them...which could be dangerous, and sometimes it just doesn't seem to work at all! Overall it has been a waste of time for us. We gave up.

Good luck!

Crystal B.
Crystal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I'm not too curious about refilling the little greens, but I would love to know if anybody has used either the Harbor Freight adaptor or any other adaptor to use a green tank to get by when your big tank runs out?
Just had my main tank run out this weekend while camping, but I still had a full green tank. Could I have gotten by with one of these little do-dads? Just wondering...

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane