Greetings! We need help figuring out the year of our Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Name: Jini
Trailer: 1977 Scamp for daughter Meagan
Virginia
Registry
Greetings! We need help figuring out the year of our Scamp!

The previous owner lost the title and it wasn't required in Georgia, he said. On the bill of sale, he listed it as a 1977 model. Our Scamp has elephant skin and tilt-out windows, not jalouis. They are rounded, not square corners, but the center pane of the front and back windows are the only pieces that open. The side windows open as one piece. The door has a larger oval/oblong window. Would anyone know what year our Scamp is? The window style makes me think it might be newer than 1977. Here is a photo...

BTW, our elephant skin was badly mildewed. We discovered a great trick, almost NO work! With a sponge wipe Dawn dish soap over the affected area. Then spray chlorine bleach on the soap which is sticking to the wall. In about 5 minutes, your mildew disappears! Rinse everything with water until suds are gone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200516_164845 (1).jpg  
Harley Jini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jini. to FiberglassRV.

Your trailer is right in the ball park for 76-77 Scamps, those tilt out windows were only used for a couple of years.

IF you need some assistance in window repair, check out this thread by Jenny. It's 10 years old, so some of the part numbers may have changed, etc.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ows-42049.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #3

Virginia
Registry
Thanks Donna!

I've noticed you are a real Scamp Guru on this site! Nice of you to answer so fast! Happy Trails,

Jini and Meagan
Old 05-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jini View Post
I've noticed you are a real Scamp Guru on this site! ...
I see someone has been paying attention.. (and even not posting until today).
Yes, there are a few members who knowledge is priceless. I wish they would all get together and write a book!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Have you found the VIN?

Quote:
The previous owner lost the title and it wasn't required in Georgia, he said. On the bill of sale, he listed it as a 1977 model. Our Scamp has elephant skin and tilt-out windows, not jalouis. They are rounded, not square corners, but the center pane of the front and back windows are the only pieces that open. The side windows open as one piece. The door has a larger oval/oblong window. Would anyone know what year our Scamp is? The window style makes me think it might be newer than 1977. .
This is from the Scamp web page.

Q. How do I identify the year of my trailer by serial number? A. Trailers built between 1971-1982 used a non-standard number. The serial number started with E and was followed by four or five numbers. Some of the earliest trailers may only have had three numbers. The number following the E was the year of manufacture. E7 would have been built in 1977.
Starting in 1982 Scamp used the appropriate 17 digit serial number. Years from 1982-1989 the 11th digit is the designated year number as follows. So the 11th digit of the serial number will match up to the year code as noted below.
1982 C
1983 D
1984 E
1985 F
1986 G
1987 H
1988 I (Scamp did use “I” which is a not valid number)
1989 J & K (Switch to K in mid year)

AND

Q. Where is the serial number? A. The serial number is located on the tongue of the trailer on the door side of the trailer. It is stamped into the top of the 3″ x 1 ½” tubing. Most serial numbers will have 17 digits starting with “1S7”. Some older serial numbers will have 5 digits and start with an “E”. There were a few trailers made in the 70’s where the serial number was stamped on the top of the tongue opposite the door.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #6

Virginia
Registry
Looking for our VIN

I'm going to get some paint remover tomorrow. I think I know where to look. The frame has been repaired, so I'm hoping the VIN hasn't been buried... Thank you all SO MUCH for your help! What an AWESOME group you are!

Jini and Meagan
Old 05-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
Vin

Quote:
I'm going to get some paint remover tomorrow. I think I know where to look. The frame has been repaired, so I'm hoping the VIN hasn't been buried... Thank you all SO MUCH for your help! What an AWESOME group you are!

Jini and Meagan
Running the plate will give you the vin also.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #8

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Congrats on your new-to-you Scamp! I love those older ones.
Do you have any inside photos you can share?
Old 05-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #9

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:

BTW, our elephant skin was badly mildewed. We discovered a great trick, almost NO work! With a sponge wipe Dawn dish soap over the affected area. Then spray chlorine bleach on the soap which is sticking to the wall. In about 5 minutes, your mildew disappears! Rinse everything with water until suds are gone.
I'm glad to hear that YOU didn't disappear along with the mildew. Never, ever mix chlorine bleach with any other cleaning product. It's hazardous to your health!

Nice little Scamp, BTW.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #10

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Quote:
The previous owner lost the title and it wasn't required in Georgia, he said. On the bill of sale, he listed it as a 1977 model.
While some states don't require a title other states do. Some states don't even require a tag, but when you leave the state you can run into problems. Not sure about Virginia but I went through a similar issue with no title here in Tennessee. It took me four months and a half dozen certified letters to get my Boler (last registered in Georgia and sold without a title) tagged and titled. If you have contact with the PO in Georgia you need to press them to apply for a lost title. Even if you have to incentivise them with say a $100 it would be well worth the money. Other wise you will more than likely have to send certified letters and get inspections in the hope that the state will title your fantastic plastic. Check with you local county clerk to see what they may require to get it registered and tagged.

How ever it works out good luck.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #11

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Cute Scamp. I own a 2010 19' 5th wheel I just purchased. I was going to suggest contacting Scamp with the VIN number stamped on the tow bar but see others more knowledgable than myself seem to have given you the perfect answer. Happy camping and Boon Docking.

Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
NOD

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
California
Scamp serial number

The serial number on my 1977 Scamp 13' is on the tongue on the opposite side from the door.
NOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #13

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Running the plate will give you the vin also.
Hopefully, but not always. When I bought my 1975 Scamp the dealer I bought it from messed up the paperwork and it came back as a 1995.

My serial number is on a plate riveted to the tongue about six-inches from the body on the side opposite the door, and it starts out E5, proving it's a 1975, but the second time the supposedly corrected paperwork came back from the DMV it said F5.

Only because I persisted, and finally took the trailer to the DMV to be inspected, did I get the correct serial number on my paperwork.

Just because it says so on the DMV records doesn't make it factual.

Oh, and congratulations on your new to you Scamp. They are treasures!

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
NOD

California
Scamp S/N

Interesting that Harold's S/N is on a plate riveted to the frame. On my 1977, it is stamped directly into the frame. It was nearly impossible to see until I sanded several coats of paint off the top of the frame rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp SN.jpg  
Old 05-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #15

Redding, California
Registry
Here's the ID plate on my 1975 Scamp. Notice:

GVWR = 1250
GAWR = 850

MO/YR of Mfg = 5-75
Serial Starts with E5

I haven't sanded the frame to see if the serial number is also stamped into it.

--Harold
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp ID Plate.jpg  
Old 05-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #16
NOD

California
Plate

That’s cool, Harold! Nothing like that anywhere on my trailer (wish there was). I did verify with Scamp Trailers that mine is a valid number - perhaps yours also has a stamp on the frame. Alternatively, someone could have fabricobbled that on mine!
Old 05-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #17

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOD View Post
That’s cool, Harold! Nothing like that anywhere on my trailer (wish there was). I did verify with Scamp Trailers that mine is a valid number - perhaps yours also has a stamp on the frame. Alternatively, someone could have fabricobbled that on mine!
I'll have to check and see if I can find a stamped number, but I doubt it exists on my trailer.

I have a feeling that stamped numbers replaced the riveted plate because stamping numbers is cheaper and met the current (at that time) minimum legal requirements. I used to have a 1963 (titled as a 1964) Volvo that had a four digit serial number on the title. The number really only identified the year made and sequence of manufacture. (It was the 32nd Volvo P1800 made in the time span between Apr 1963-Aug 1963)

17-digit serial (VIN) numbers were mandated in 1981. It would be interesting to see what Scamp used as ID plates or stampings for 1981 and later trailers. (Or, in fact, all years.)

I added my Scamp to the FGRV Registry, including a photo of the VIN plate.

--Harold
Old 05-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Registry
From the Scamp page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
17-digit serial (VIN) numbers were mandated in 1981. It would be interesting to see what Scamp used as ID plates or stampings for 1981 and later trailers. (Or, in fact, all years.)
https://www.scamptrailers.com/ask-scamp/faq-s#
Trailers built between 1971-1982 used a non-standard number. The serial number started with E and was followed by four or five numbers. Some of the earliest trailers may only have had three numbers. The number following the E was the year of manufacture. E7 would have been built in 1977. Starting in 1982 Scamp used the appropriate 17 digit serial number. Years from 1982-1989 the 11th digit is the designated year
Old 05-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #19

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
https://www.scamptrailers.com/ask-scamp/faq-s#
Trailers built between 1971-1982 used a non-standard number. The serial number started with E and was followed by four or five numbers. Some of the earliest trailers may only have had three numbers. The number following the E was the year of manufacture. E7 would have been built in 1977. Starting in 1982 Scamp used the appropriate 17 digit serial number. Years from 1982-1989 the 11th digit is the designated year
I've seen that info on Scamp's website. It would be interesting to have a Scamp only registry with VIN info, that could be sorted by year model, registration year, and other information. I've seen such registries for Model A Fords and E-Type Jaguars.

Unfortunately the registry here at FGRV is not useful for such information. Even searching for just Scamp 13s is impossible. Because terms aren't standardized there are over 465 search variations, and that doesn't include "models", which include such terms as "13' Scamp", "13 Standard", "13 times the fun" and a bunch more which may or may not refer to Scamps.

Tags
scamp