grey tank under sink - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
grey tank under sink

In one of the threads there was a picture of a blue tank that sat under the sink, and could be removed and emptied. I have searched the threads, but don't know how to get that specific. Does anyone remember this, and/or know what it was or where to get it?
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Eric, are you sure that it was a grey water tank and not a fresh water tank. Some small trailers use a 5 gallon tank for fresh water that is hand pumped at the sink. I would think another 5 gallon tank could be plumbed to the drain quite easily.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 PM   #3

Illinois
I think there were two of them, so probably that was the case -- a fresh water and a drain. Any idea about where they could be gotten? I could use a 5 gal bucket until I am able to get the new one shipped, but would rather have something sealed.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Eric, measure height, depth, and width available under the sink, then go to a sporting goods store, or a 4X4 off-road shop to see what they have. I believe that both the fresh water and grey water jugs will have to have an air vent for them to allow the water to flow out or in. Most air vents are simple openings that have either a plug or a screw off cap. You would have to seal the vent and the opening for filling the jugs, while you are traveling. Once you set up camp you simply drop the suction hose into the fresh water jug and on in the grey water jug.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I didn't use anything costly for mine. I simply cut off my drainline and dropped it down into an old empty plastic jug that I had sitting around the garage. I dumped it before I left the park. I believe you could do a similar thing with fresh water. Just sit a jug under the sink with your hand pump intake line in the jug. Just don't travel with them in place. No worry about them spilling that way.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That blue jug is a widely sold product, it is a 7 gallon blue water jug. Product name Reliance Aqua-Tainer 7G/26L

You can buy it online from many sources including Amazon and Ebay. Sporting goods stores that carry camping equipment and places such as Walmart also frequently stock this product.

Before you invest in it some things to consider:
A full 7 gallon container can weigh quite a lot so you will want to empty it before it reaches full capacity. Besides that you need to set up the waste system to be sealed with a proper trap to prevent odors from coming up through the sink drain and/or properly vented to the outside or you will likely develop an odor problem if you leave the dirty water in there for very long. In the long run other than for short weekend trips you would be better off investing in putting in a proper grey water tank under the sink with a trap such as a Hepro valve going into the tank, a vent tube coming out of the tank to the exterior and a drain tube with valve shut-off ability connecting to a waste line fitting that a exterior hose screws onto. You can order those tanks from various online sources and have the inlet and outlet ports installed on the tank where you need them to be located. It also helps satisfy the requirements for being "self contained". That permanent poly tank size that will fit under the sink will likely cost you between $60.00 to $120.00 depending on where you source it from. Plus the cost of the trap, waste lines, drain valve, exterior vent fitting and the outlet port. But if you have the funds it is a worthwhile upgrade to do. But some folks have a preference for the portable tank. Either way works, it just depends on budget and what works best for your needs.

I have a bad back so heavy lifting is not good for me and I want to make longer trips in areas that require being self contained so those two factors are driving my personal renovation plans for handling grey water from the sink towards investing in the permanent poly tank under the sink setup.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I looked at doing the same thing at one time. Reliance makes narrower 6 gl. water jugs. They also make a 3 Gal jug see below.
Eddie

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...6Z4M60DACMEW48
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #8

Illinois
Thanks, these were what I was thinking of until I can get the permanent grey water setup. thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The Reliance Aqua-tainers are great. Square, stackable, and come with a spigot. The 7 gallon version is often cheaper. I like its threaded vent cap. If you want to carry less weight, just fill half way.

If folks in Texas & Florida had one or two of those filled and stacked in a closet. There would have been less panic for bottled water. They make great gifts. Take a grease pen and write an expiration date one year out. Then refill. If used after expiration date, consider a bit of bleach, halazone tablets, or a serious purifier.

However, for a fresh water/grey water application similar to yours, I bought a pair of these. Home supply stores sell clear tubing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L7JXUVS
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
In one of the threads there was a picture of a blue tank that sat under the sink, and could be removed and emptied. I have searched the threads, but don't know how to get that specific. Does anyone remember this, and/or know what it was or where to get it?
The Blue 7 gallon containers are at Walmart. If that jug is what you are thinking of using, you could just drill a hole in the lid and run a drain hose (made from braided vinyl hose in 5/8" or 3/4") from the sink into it. A tight fit in the hole would be nice. Put a loop or a low point in the tube to act as a trap. Loosen the vent cap to vent the air and you are good to go. To drain it just unscrew the cap and lift out the jug.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if you want tall and narrower containers there are some suitable, food grade Jerry Cans that have a screw cap on the top plus a vent on top and a molded in threaded bung area at the bottom. It comes with a spigot. That lower bung would allow you to attach a hose to it and drain it to the outside without removing it from the cabinet. One of the nice things about choosing Jerry Cans is there are a lot of hold down brackets on the market for them. That will allow you to secure it in place inside of the cabinet so it does not shift around. Of course you can also take advantage of its shape by running a strap inside the open area of the upper handle.

The link to this company that ships from California has good sturdy plastic cans that are food grade and have that lower bung to use for a drain port. You can use them for fresh water or for your grey water. They even have one in black which might work nicely for solar heating shower water.
https://www.jerrycan.com/product-cat...ry-water-cans/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Raspy has the right idea. In the Reliance Aqua-tainer, the spigot is threaded into the cap, which also has threads. To save drilling, remove the spigot from the cap, save it for later, then find a hose that threads snugly into the spigot threads.
Like Raspy said, unscrew the cap containing the hose, then remove the jug to either empty, or fill. A tube threaded into the fresh water jug should be able to feed an rv hand pump like the Valterra Rocket
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-RP80...XG/ref=sr_1_1?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote