Grey water tank in 78 boler HELP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #1

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Grey water tank in 78 boler HELP

The original water tank is a light weight plastic or other material

Tank needs a repair. Have a steel replacement but want to fix the old tank as well would save the steel tank as future backup as it is a lot heavier.

The sink drain has a 90 degree elbow flush with floor inside. is it glued to the tank or does it just go into a tank seal? Do not want to do any extra harm to t he original boler tank.

Please let me know. Tank is main concern.

Also will be replacing some other plumbing parts as the plastic has become brittle at the side drain 2 way 3" X 3" flange X 1 1/2" flange. The 3" shut off is also brittle and about to fall apart.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
The grey water tank in our 1978 Boler 17 had several obvious impacts on the front side that leaked. Also leaked on the side where the retractable step struck the tank many times. This tank is polyethylene so most adhesives will not work.

I was able to successfully patch all of these leaks using West System G/flex 655 Thickened Epoxy Adhesive.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Valterra 3" Hub x 1.5" Hub x 3" Bayonet Cap

To replace both the grey and black water shutoffs at the same time, you can use an assembly such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T80-...805170&sr=8-31
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:42 AM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Apple crumble good, Drains crumble bad LOL

Have a replacement steel tank but it is not ready. Repairing the original tank till steel tank is ready. Tank patches started. Really bad shape will not last long but will get us through our camping till replacement tank can be made ready.

From door side:
Original boler tank has 3 connections
- Low 1/2" high threaded hole tight into the far top left corner, threaded for sink drain abs to screw into from inside trailer. Steel tank connection is close to this location. Will remove pipes and see if I can make it work or change it.
- No Hole for shower Top left side corner of tank again flush screw connection for shower drain. Needs to be added to new tank.
- The steel tank has drain in a spot that will work with some changes to the abs drain alignment.

Steel tank will not install as is would have to make a much larger hole slot hole to fit and no shower connection so changes first then install.
Till the steel tank is ready will use the repaired plastic tank. It is not going to last long though deterioration of the material it is made of is to great.
While original tank is out will measure location of holes on it for changes to the steel tank.

The drain pipes at side can be crumbled with my hand. Have new 3" flange for screwing into the toilet black water tank base, 90 degree elbow, 3" flange, and gate shut off, 3x3x1.5 Y pipe will be in today and small 1.5" shut off flange to tank drain. Will install after tank is back in place.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:43 AM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
The grey water tank in our 1978 Boler 17 had several obvious impacts on the front side that leaked. Also leaked on the side where the retractable step struck the tank many times. This tank is polyethylene so most adhesives will not work.

I was able to successfully patch all of these leaks using West System G/flex 655 Thickened Epoxy Adhesive.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
fixer upper lol

Just finished the last layer. Put cloth on in layers using fiberglass tools; let it set a bit and only then next layer. Used a/b apoxy resin with cloth fibers mixed in says makes cloth is used to make it stronger and it adds some stiffness needed in some spots, clear PVC cement (white did not work for some reason) with cloth main product used purchase large cans. Other products tested as well and not used. Tank is ready with a little time to set. Did use some of the marine product.

The deterioration of tank material says not my forever tank LOL

Will craft it into sink, then shower drain and finally the tank main drain.

Replacing almost every part of the abs. The original abs is past shelf life and will brake and crumble easy. Some of the abs was replaced at shower and under sink and will be reused.

Using 4 unions for fast tank removal. two under sink one at tank connection and other at other side of 90, one to shower inlet connector and last one to the tank drain connection. Will make it easy to remove tank in the future.

Due to covid had to pay $21.25 each for the unions. Will have no original pipe when done. The resin is $150 a liter think that is a good price. $70.00 in cloth, plus 3x1.5x3 spigit, 3" sutoff, flanges 1.5", 3" strait connects and more.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
To replace both the grey and black water shutoffs at the same time, you can use an assembly such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T80-...805170&sr=8-31
Getting product from US is hard at this time. Got a reasonable price for those parts with next day delivery at the RV and Marine Depot in town.
Normally that would have worked these are different times, thanks though for your help.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Borden, there are a lot of companies aroud that make plastic tanks, you might be able to find one that has one close enough to what you need, a steel tank is going to be pretty heavy, and the material inside will rot it out quickly.
I have seen several mentions on here of people getting a tank to fit the original bolers, might be worth some searching on the website.
I changed my tanks with ones from Shirlon plastic in Cambridge Ontario, for a reasonable price a few years ago, they didn't have the exact tank I needed, but they were willing to put the inlets/outlets where I needed, and that worked well for me.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler