greywater tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2001 4wd 6cyl Silverado
Hi.
Would like to know if anyone has had experience retro-fitting, or installing, a greywater tank in their Scamp? the tank I removed had a big open crack on the top. It was a 27 gallon tank and weighed 6 lbs, paper thin and real chintzy, so I'm not too keen on buying another one from Samp. Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks, Paul
Paul and Libby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
paul..
I had to replace my greywater tank also... leaks.. and horrible patch jobs! I did have to order from Scamp tho and have my RV repair guy install it.... You may be able to do that yourself tho..... My RV repair shop couldnt get one to fit the scamp.....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Paul/Libby Smith,
A couple of thoughts. Check the Yellow Pages under tanks. You might also Google plastic tanks, with the city name to make it local.
About 12 years ago, our sons had a small stick-built TT and the metal water tank rusted out. As luck would have it, I found a plastic tank of the same dimensions at a yard sale. The fittings were in the wrong places but we located a plastic tank manufacturer who moved them for a very reasonable price. At the time, it didn't occur to me that it might be possible to have a custom tank made, but the price quoted wasn't nearly as prohibitive as I imagined.
Don't throw away the old tank! It may be valuable as a pattern for locating fitting locations.

Please further the education of us all by posting your progress,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
I replaced the greywater tank of a 1995 16' Scamp, it was easy, relatively fast and smooth going, I re-did the dump valve mounting strap to a more sturdy mounting system. while the tank appeared low quality I got to appreciate the design...I did get a cut piece of sheet aluminum and when I installed the tank put it under the straps with some silicone adhesive so it conformed to the shape of the tank with a 4 inch edge tucked up under the top of the tank between the flat top surface of the tank and the bottom of the floor/decking. This gave my new tank the protection I thought it needed to survive minor bumps with some off road hazards in Arizona.

Harry

Quote:
paul..
I had to replace my greywater tank also... leaks.. and horrible patch jobs! I did have to order from Scamp tho and have my RV repair guy install it.... You may be able to do that yourself tho..... My RV repair shop couldnt get one to fit the scamp.....
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies...........I had a 50gallon aluminum boat gas tank given to me, I shaved, cut to size, welded a 3'' inch tube for dump valve, and 3 other little 5/8 tubes for sink,and shower,put it on a forklift hooked up a water hose, and talked on the phone for a few minutes, I turned to look at the tank,and it was buckled, it looked like the michelin man, lots of hours wasted.. so I guess I will go back to the chinzy scamp tank Paul
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
See if there's anything here to help, from the Helpful-Links pages:
Water Tanks - Fresh and Grey Water
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #7

Thanks Donna....I appreciate the leads on the tanks, but after my aluminum tank fiasco, I think I will get the tank from scamp,it fits and I do no modifications, I,am kind of burnt out, thanks again Paul