Hail damage and insurance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Hail damage and insurance

Has anyone ever had hail damage? Does insurance cover?
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #2

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
You're probably asking about trailers, but,,,

In early August we had baseball sized hail and my '11 truck was totaled.

Back to fiberglass: my topper had almost no damage. There were three points where concentric circles were slightly visible but the gelcoat was intact. My son's topper which was 15 feet away had numerous failures of the gelcoat and what looked like torn fiberglass filaments. Fiberglass layups aren't all equal.

To answer your question, my truck insurance would have covered the topper if it were damaged. That doesn't answer your question with respect to trailer insurance.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
...Does insurance cover?
Dwain
There are many types and variations of insurance, with different levels of coverage. Suggest you call your agent.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Insurance covered repairs to our Casita (less deductible) when a tree crunched it. I don't see where hail damage would be any different, but....

As stated, you might want to clarify this with your agent.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When it comes to trailers and hail damage I think it's less likely for hail to damage a fiberglass trailer.

A number of years ago I was camped (tent) near the crest of Cascades. There was a brand new sticky camped beside us. A hail store came along with golf ball size hail. Tent and plastic trap put up over the table, no damage. New sticky - made a mess of the roof. Looked like somebody took a hammer to it.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Several summers ago my wife and I were traveling home from Missouri north on I-35 toward home in the Twin Cities when we were caught in a hellacious thunderstorm. There was rain, wind and of course, hail. We pulled into a gas station near Coulter, IA when it was pouring rain, and parked under a roof at the diesel pumps. Since it was already a horrendous rain, we opted to stay put. It didn't take long for power to go out, as the wind and rain picked up, and it started to hail. We were afraid that we were going to inspect our camper when the storm let up and find the roof hatch broken and a possibly a window broken out as well, in addition to fiberglass damage.

The reports on the radio were a tornado touched down within 2 or 3 miles from where had stopped. A couple of towns were without power and a radio station was off the air. In addition to all of this there was a report that a semi truck had been blown off the freeway and was on its side in the median of I-35; shure enough when we resumed our northward journey there it was! This was one heckuva storm, and we should have stopped sooner or at least gone inside the station even though we would have gotten drenched.

When it was all over, the biggest damage to our Scamp was to the fins on the outside air conditioner coils; some of them were bent. No windows were damaged, the fiberglass didn't have any obvious issues, and the roof hatch was completely intact. A while later when I was waxing the trailer I noticed a few teeny-tiny chips in the gelcoat that were probably a result of this storm. With the patina that refuses to be buffed out of our trailer these chips just don't matter.

I guess the point is these campers are tough! Having said that don't do what we did. Stop and wait before you even get close to the storm if you are traveling. If you are in a campground seek shelter in the designated shelter area if heavy weather is approaching.

Stay safe out there!

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver