Half Pillow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Half Pillow

We're at Myrtle Beach State Park and there are 3 Casitas in the park in addition ot our Scamp. They've all come over to see our 'new' 2011 Scamp, thinking that sinces it glows it must be new.

They all now know the RED Max story and about FRV.

One of the people that toured our rig made an interesting suggestion to get increased bed length. This couple has cut a pillow length wise to reduce the pillow width providing a few more inches of bed length. We haven't tried it but he swears by it.

Something to learn every day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We're at Myrtle Beach State Park and there are 3 Casitas in the park in addition ot our Scamp. They've all come over to see our 'new' 2011 Scamp, thinking that sinces it glows it must be new.

One of the people that toured our rig made an interesting suggestion to get increased bed length. This couple has cut a pillow length wise to reduce the pillow width providing a few more inches of bed length. We haven't tried it but he swears by it.

I don't really understand. My bed length is determined by the walls of the trailer. No pillows involved. The bed is bordered by the sides of the trailer, length. The back of the trailer and the cabinets, width.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't really understand. My bed length is determined by the walls of the trailer. No pillows involved. The bed is bordered by the sides of the trailer, length. The back of the trailer and the cabinets, width.
By decreasing pillow length you increase bed sleeping length, it is all relative. The absolute remains the same.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:

I've never cut a pillow but I have used a roll of bedding, sweater, or a rolled towel for the same reason. It allows you to lay closer to the "headboard".

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
I've never cut a pillow but I have used a roll of bedding, sweater, or a rolled towel for the same reason. It allows you to lay closer to the "headboard".

David
The bed can be made effectively "longer" by tucking something (like rolled material) in at the foot to keep the cushion away from the wall just a little. Many people fine it more comfy when they are able to drop a foot over the end of the bed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
It allows you to lay closer to the "headboard".
I have a Fat head, although my partner Robert would claim that "Swelled" is a better adjective. It's a good thing I am short as I need all the pillow I can get.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I have a Fat head, although my partner Robert would claim that "Swelled" is a better adjective. It's a good thing I am short as I need all the pillow I can get.
You mean, you let FG egg ownership go to your head?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I've been known to be a half wit at times so sometimes half a pillow would be all I'd need.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
The half-pillow concept may work in summer heat, but in winter, I like to keep my head (as well as the rest of me) away from the hull. We only keep the heat on bare minimum at night, so the hull walls get a bit chilly ...
Fortunately for me, a full pillow would fit head and foot if I desired, as I'm a bit "vertically challenged"...
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Casita Owner who suggested the half pillow was also tall and thought I might need the extra inches. I'm mostly a fetal sleeper and don't need the space but Ginny's thin king of making one.

As to heat we hardly ever turn it on at night because we use an electrib blanket, Generally if it's going to be cold we seek an electric hookup.

Nothing wrong with being vertically challenged, I believe bertically challenged people live longer.

Long life to you...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
The Casita Owner who suggested the half pillow was also tall and thought I might need the extra inches. I'm mostly a fetal sleeper and don't need the space but Ginny's thin king of making one.

As to heat we hardly ever turn it on at night because we use an electrib blanket, Generally if it's going to be cold we seek an electric hookup.

Nothing wrong with being vertically challenged, I believe bertically challenged people live longer.

Long life to you...
along with that, i hear god doesn't count time spent camping !
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Dawn sewed up custom pillows and pillow cases that are half length wise. Both being over 6'-0" tall, this did help to be able to stretch out in the bed.

Concerning hitting your head on the liner in cold weather. If it gets supper cold, we both wear stocking hats to bed and are very comfortable.