Hammock as possible kid bed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Hammock as possible kid bed?

I can't seem to do a search on this phone, but hasn't someone rigged a hammock or two as a little kid's bed?
I'm curious what was used to support the weight on each end.
Here's a parachute hammock I just found for sale that looks like a good price if it would work. Don't know about comfort, though.
Double Parachute Hammock – Yukon Outfitters

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
NEVER allow anyone sleep in hammock if you care about their back bone... Human should sleep on a flat surface only.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
HAMMOCKS

Westfalia [VW] used to have a canvas 'hammock' over the front seats. There were brackets on the door frame and a sheet of canvas was stretched between two bars inserted into the brackets, one across and close to the windshield, the second over the backs of the front seats. A child could sleep [across] the front of the camper.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
The UHaul VT has a hammock that fits in slots over the front dinette to sleep the 4 th person likely a child

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
NEVER allow anyone sleep in hammock if you care about their back bone... Human should sleep on a flat surface only.
Actually, a properly tensioned hammock (not stretched tight, but left in an arc) slept on diagonally, allows very flat sleeping.

I have a bad back, but I get extremely comfortable sleep when I use my hammock backpacking. My greatest concern would be finding sufficiently sturdy attachment points in an egg. A great deal of stress is placed on the supports when sleeping in a hammock - much more than you think, much more than 1/2 of the person's weight.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Try doing a search on this forum for "hammock" and you will find many people discussing the pros and cons of using a hammock in the FGRV for sleeping, for storage or simply in the outdoors. Remember to click on the "Search" tab and at the bottom of the pull-down menu find "Google Search". That is the best place to do your search.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Totally wrong. Many many people all around the world enjoy super comfortable sleeps in hammocks without endangering their spinal cord. Take a look at this site: https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

The major issue with rigging a hammock inside a fiberglass camper is determining where to tie off the two ends of a hammock, as they will apply tremendous lateral forces to the attachment points. It would most probably be better to find a suitable pair of trees outside the camper to fasten your hammock to, then to attempt to fasten your hammock inside a small glass egg.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Don't forget about whether the child is used to sleeping in one, how "active" they are during the night, do they toss and turn a lot, and just what will be located beneath the hammock, should they fall out of it during the night.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
I lived in a 30' sticky in the Sierras with my two daughters for several years and frequently slept in a hammock all summer outside. I don't think I've ever had such a good nights sleep since.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I think that proper hammock supports inside an egg should be independent of the trailer itself. In other words, if you can come up with a framework that fits inside the space where you want it and that fully supports the hammock with the desired tension and weight capacity, you could have your hammock in the trailer. But as far as attaching the hammock to the trailer's walls or other components for support, forget it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Oh where is Thom when you need him!
Until he weighs in try the Google custom search on Thom Hammock.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #12

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I would do some research on the safety, especially in regards to young children, breathing properly, being able to get out of the hammock in an emergency.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
I have installed three canvas hammocks in RV's. All were constructed with canvas with 3/4-inch galvanized pipe that slid into pockets on each side of the canvas.

The ends of the pipes fit into metal closet rod sockets on two of the hammocks, while the third hammock's pipes fit into wood cutouts.

On that hammock, that was installed across the front of a old motor home, I made 'H" shaped brackets out of 1 by 4 inch boards that I attached to the each side of the MH.

My children, and a grandson slept in these beds without any injuries, and looked forward to our camping trips.

I'd have no idea how to install one in my 13-foot Scamp without a considerable amount of reinforcement at the mounting areas.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote