Handicap Grab rails in bathroom - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 13 ft Scamp
Question Handicap Grab rails in bathroom

We are in the process of purchasing a 2003 17' Casita with a bathroom. We already have a 13' Scamp but because of medical issues, we now need an inside bathroom. I thought I had it all solved with an outdoor shower tent and a portapotti but it won't work now. Husband was diagnosed with Guillain Barre in January and has progressed greatly, but still has difficulty with balance and walking. The Casita is narrow enough that he can get around, but the tricky part is going to be for him to get up from the toilet (sorry folks, but don't know another way to phrase it). Anyhow, has anyone had any experience installing a grab rail in the bathroom? I am a bit fearful that I'll do something wrong and ruin the trailer. Also, any other suggestions on making our "portable hotel room on wheels" any more friendly for less abled individuals? Would sure appreciate your input! This is going to be our new adventure and traveling the USA together has been my husband's dream. Would appreciate your input. I'm determined to make this work for him!
Gail G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I am just speculating here (I don't own a Casita) but I would investigate the wall between the Side Dinette seat and the Toilet. How thick is it? I'm fairly confident it is constructed with an internal frame with 2 surface panels. As Holmes on Homes : Mike Holmes : Home & Garden Television would say, Open it up! See if you can install the grab bar to existing framing, or see if you can add extra framing to support a grab bar.

Anyone else have a better Idea?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Casita Liberty Deluxe 2003

I forgot to mention this is a Casita Liberty Deluxe. The bathroom is to the right of the front door. Outside wall on 2 sides, 3rd side (where shower is) is next to the full closet door and the 4th side is a wall with the stove and sink next to it. Seating is more in the middle. Have I totally confused you? Sure hope not!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail G. View Post
I forgot to mention this is a Casita Liberty Deluxe.

Have I totally confused you?
Not really; just apply my speculations to your "4th" wall, which is between your Kitchen and the toilet. I believe the inner bathroom surface of that wall can be opened to verify or modify the framing inside.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Call Casita and ask them.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #6

Thank you for that suggestion too. Once I have the Casita in our driveway I will give them a call for suggestions/information. Your help is appreciated!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
I have to deal with the same issues. My wife has PSP (a parkinson + condition). We own a new Escape. During construction we had them install reinforcement points in the trailer to secure grab bars onto.....which are absolutely necessary. We do have one in the shower. Check corner frames and door frames. Often there is a spot where you can attach a grab bar with screws. Also there are really strong grab bars that suction cup on to the fiberglass shower....Home Depot, Menards, Lowes etc.
Jerry Cranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #8

Thank you Jerry. Again, another good thought. I am, however, somewhat hesitant to use any sort of suction device as I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to hold up my 240+ lb guy...it's asking a lot of a suction device!

Do you have any sort of ramp for her, or is she able to step up into the Escape? My main concerns are the bathroom and getting in and out of the trailer...by experience, are there other trouble spots I should be concerned with?

Thank you for your input!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
While these are not the ususal suction cups, they may not be suitable for that weight. My wife (Vivian) can still handle steps. I have constructed steps that are easier for her to use along with grab bars inside and out. Under the Escape trailer forum you can search for a ramp used by Major Ross. His wife had polio and the ramp he is using works for her needs.

You are right though. The size of the fiberglass trailers works well for handicap situations in that there is limited falling down room.....there is usually something to grab.
Jerry Cranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #10

Smile

I will check out the Escape forum as well. Thanks for another resource. Again, once I get the Casita I will check out the step situation. We're just so excited to be getting something with a bathroom inside!!

Thank you so much for the info.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #11

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Smile Grab bars that don't look like them

I know I'm a couple of years late to add to this post! But just wanted to say I have vertiginous "dizzy" migraines & asked my brother Steve Hilby(my volunteer fixer-upper) to add grab rails. He refused, too ugly. However, he did fashion some fancy iron-work and put it in just the right spot to grab on to! It really works good and no one would know it was for dizzy people.

Last year he added a swinging grab bar (like in a hospital) above the bed so I could pull myself out of bed rather than just laying there off-balance on a narrow bunk sort of stuck between a wall and say, the kitchen table stacked with gear. Anyone who's even slightly dizzy knows how hard it is to get up from anywhere because your body doesn't know which way to lean. The grab hold is on a chain in sort of a loop configuration. It stores tucked up where the pop-top is attached and I take it down when I go to bed. It's great!
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #12

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Someone with an Escape has added teak towel rods as grab bars for exactly the same reasons and they look great. He will likely be along here.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That maybe me, with the wall reinforced I can mount anything anywhere. However I have had good luck with those suction grab bars available for home use on tile walls.See here Amazon.com: Moen LR2308W Home Care 12-Inch Suction Balance Assist Bath Grip, Glacier: Home Improvement
Here is my bath, in the first photo is the teak as well as one of those suction over head.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1363.jpg   DSCN1367.jpg  

DSCN1369.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The use of suction cup grab bars was discussed again about a year ago and were thought to be a bad idea except to use as a "Touch Point" to maintain balance.

My ex has worked as a Nurse in Assisted Living and Nursing Homes in WA for over 30 years and advised me at that time that they were prohibited in those facilities.
Added to that, the item in the link is marked as "Discontinued" by the manufacturer.

There is nothing "Ugly" about a properly installed, OSHA approved, assist bar. What could be ugly is the results of one of the suction cup grab bars or a towel rack failing when someone needed it to prevent a fall.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I agree that the suction bars in bathrooms are not ideal as the tile surface is not flat due to the grout. However I used one successfully on the exterior of my EggCamper for a year as a grab bar since the Egg did not have one installed on the exterior wall. Perhaps fiberglass is better suited to the suction bars, try one on the outside and see if it holds, it definitely is better than nothing.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #16

As mentioned, they work great as a "Touch Point" to maintain balance, but they are not safe to depend on to prevent falls or, as was discussed earlier, as a grab handle to use to pull oneself into an entry door with. And, on some surfaces, the suction cup grab handle can slide.

Something unsafe is really not better than nothing when it imbues a false sense of security. Especially when there is a better & safer way, and your health, safety and even life may depend on it doing its job.

I have two grab handles at the entrance to my Hunter, one above the other, and both are securely attached with 2 1/2" screws into both the metal door frame and the wood substructure. Took all of 15 minutes to install them.

But again, they have been discontinued and I guess it doesn't bother Home Depot to sell off remaining stock.

BTW: Has anyone noticed that safety is a sensitive topic for Moi ???

Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #17

Here's a better idea, provided that the wall to which it is attached is properly reinforced.
http://www.amazon.com/Moen-LR2250DW-...9N0HJ4RKEABT0Z

Tags
disability, grab rails, handicap