Handicap modifications? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Learning before buying
MD
Handicap modifications?

I am new to this group, but have learned much by reading many threads. We are seasoned tenters, having camped across the continent a few times. But a spinal injury rules out getting into a tent for my wife. She must use a walker or have access to hand rails on both sides, including on the entry door. We itch to get back on the road. So I am considering a FGRV between 13 to 17 feet. At least a cassette toilet and a small double bed are necessary. We must obtain a TV which is likely to be a Highlander, Pilot, or Traverse which give better access for my wife than a pickup does. Anybody out there with such issues? Any suggestions about a particular FG trailer being more suitable for modification? In particular, I wonder if rear entry, like the Lil Snoozy is preferable? I am handy and capable of doing many modifications, but I don't want to rebuild an older unit.
David H Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H Miner View Post
I am new to this group, but have learned much by reading many threads. We are seasoned tenters, having camped across the continent a few times. But a spinal injury rules out getting into a tent for my wife. She must use a walker or have access to hand rails on both sides, including on the entry door. We itch to get back on the road. So I am considering a FGRV between 13 to 17 feet. At least a cassette toilet and a small double bed are necessary. We must obtain a TV which is likely to be a Highlander, Pilot, or Traverse which give better access for my wife than a pickup does. Anybody out there with such issues? Any suggestions about a particular FG trailer being more suitable for modification? In particular, I wonder if rear entry, like the Lil Snoozy is preferable? I am handy and capable of doing many modifications, but I don't want to rebuild an older unit.
If you can find a Burro "Wide Body", it has an extra wide entry door. It came in a 14ft and a 17ft. The bathroom is especially accessible as well and has no step over threshold.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:

lil Snoozy has an extra wide rear door. Downside is unless you can find a used one the factory is more than a year out.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
A little outside of the box but might meet your needs.

You said you are handy and perhaps you could find a nice 12' to 14' cargo trailer with the rear ramp door, some are made with a camper style side door and windows can be added. you could create a platform for a bed with plenty of storage underneath, and a curtained area for a toilet. It would be kind of basic but may get you on the road and you would have a fresh slate to work with to meet your wife's needs. You could adjust and create as you go. I thought about a toy hauler but most are much larger than what you could pull with the vehicles you are considering.
Try googling stealth camping you will find a lot of creative ideas for cargo trailers and van living.
There are some stair systems that fold inside the door when moving and I think I saw one had hand rails for both sides rather than attached to the trailer might be another option.
If you were to find a camper that was damaged for cheap you might find all the parts you would need to outfit a cargo trailer or rebuild it to suit.

Best of luck
Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anything is possible given enough time, skill and money. I saw this Trillium at the 50th Boler event this past summer. The owner modified the rear so he could load his Harley in the trailer. Beefed up the frame too. But it works for him!
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Trillium-01.JPG   Harley-Trillium-02.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would look at one if the rear door trailers: Lil Snoozy, Airstream Nest, Hunter, and Campster. There are others. The Nest is big $$, Snoozy is next. The others would fit into more budgets. Double check the door width on the Hunter and Campster. Those might be too narrow.

Most side entry FG trailers have relatively narrow doors and then you have to make a quick turn. The rear entry trailers are straight in and straight out.

Trillium has a Sportsman model or something like that with a large rear entry. They are extremely scarce. I’ve never seen one in person.

I’d put a thread and ask for someone in your general area with a Hunter Compact you could tour. Not to buy, but instead just to decide whether it works for you. Hunters are cool trailers IMHO and relatively easy to modify.

If you don’t want an older project, you might just go ahead and order a Snoozy. 40% down up front and be prepared to wait 16 months or more. Several have posted that Snoozy did not deliver within their quoted time frame.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft 1974 Ventura
Quote:
Hello
I’m wondering if you were able to find a trailer and what modifications you made. My husband had a stroke in 2019 and has limited mobility on the right side. We have a 17’boler and he’s unable to use the bathroom/shower unit. We’d be happy to pull the shower and just use it as a toilet if that’s a possibility. I’m not handy so would have to have someone else do it for us. So looking for suggestions.
Thanks
Donna
Donna C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:56 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Learning before buying
MD
No. We have not purchased any FG trailer. But I have continued to read many threads and form some opinions. I don't want holding tanks--prefer to use a movable cassette toilet with just curtains for privacy; don't want an absorption frig--prefer a 12 v. compressor top opening frig; don't want AC and certainly no television. I want the narrow double bed to orient front to back, not sideways. This would give my wife space to get out of the side and make it to the movable cassette toilet without fitting her prothesis on her leg. When she has the prothesis fitted and can stand and walk, she would grasp two streetcar like vertical posts that I would install. Those two posts and handrails on some of the walls would enable my wife to move in an interior space about six foot wide by ten foot long. My current thought is that I could most easily modify a Helio O4 which is not a true molded FG product, but is light, not stick-built, and appears well made. Cooking would be outside as in our tent camping days. A small two burner propane stove inside might be nice to make tea or cook oatmeal in inclement weather. And the double bed would convert to a dinette in such conditions.
David H Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Don’t know if you are are looking new or used but the Happier Camper is the only fg trailer that is fully wheelchair accessible with the rear hatch.wide side entry door and fully flat floor and accessible ramp ,there are some wheelchair bound owners of the HC1 who are extremely happy with this option the HC 1 also has the addaptive interior so you can configure to suit your needs and the option for the dry flush toilet with no holding tanks if you don’t need it .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote