hanging shelves on ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
hanging shelves on ensolite

I'm a new Boler owner, trying to come up with clever ways to create extra functional storage. Is there anything wrong with using an adhesive (something like PL or No More Nails)or double sided tape to hang lightweight objects on the Ensolite walls in a Boler? Or is that a total no-no?
Jen in Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Hey Jen, I haven't seen anyone do anything like that. The worst thing to happen would be the ensolite tearing off, that wouldn't be so good.
If U could be a little more precise as to "little things" and the location U were looking at I'm sure more responses would be forth coming.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
You can try but: very few things will stick to the ensolite, I don't think 2 sided tape will work since the original tape used to cover the seams is difficult to get to stick. The second issue is like was mentioned the ensolite will probably pull off the fiberglass.

With saying that I would be delighted if you proved us (me) wrong, give it a try.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
How Trillium installs shelves is, they glue wood blocks to the fibreglass before they put up the Ensolite. It should be possible to cut a small hole in the Ensolite, pull a section away from the fibreglass, then glue a wood block to the glass. If the shelf is mounted where the cut in the Ensolite is, then you wont see it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I guess I am thinking things like hooks for clothing and towels, small shelves (like a spice shelf). I figured that removing them would be an issue and destroy the Ensolite, (not good), but I don't like the idea of having to screw or rivet through to the fibreglass for every little "hang up".
Jen in Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Ensolite is a "closed cell" foam, so it can't absorb moisture. By the same token, it does not bond all that well with adhesives - enough to stick to a fiberglass wall, but any load put on it (like double stick tape) will not be stuck very well as the adhesives cannot bond fully to the ensolite. I work with many 3M VHB industrial tapes, and recommend you get a piece of ensolite and a tape of your choosing to try this idea before committing to installing something in the trailer. Best tape I have found for the trailer environment is 3M RP-45. You can order small pieces through Amazon.

Consider browsing my website for storage ideas. I can build almost anything you can think of.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #7

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Charlie's your guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post

Consider browsing my website for storage ideas. I can build almost anything you can think of.

Charlie Y
Hi, Jen

I can vouch for Charlies 100 gazillion percent. He manufactured a replacement porch light cover for my 1988 Bigfoot last spring. All he had to go by were the measurements I sent him & a couple of photos of the forlorn-looking receptacle missing its cover & the old, cracked cover. He created a masterpiece; the new cover was of much better quality, his charge was more than reasonable, & I received it in no time at all.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #8

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Could you find an inconspicuous location and try hanging one of those Command hooks? You could gradually hang heavier items on it to see at what weight it begins to be a problem. If it won't stick, you're not out much, you can use the hook elsewhere, and you will be able to tell if it's not going to stick.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #9

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
IM with David on this one , hanging anything on foam isnt a good idea in my books . think of the vibration going down the road , probly tear the foam in no time .
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. For every person who hangs something on the walls (any brand), there's at least another person asking "how do I glue the ensolite/carpet/rat fur back up?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Is there carpet/rat fur over your ensolite? If so, I've found that cubicle clips work great. This was suggested by another FGRV forum member. You can find them in office supply stores such as STAPLES. They come in different colors. Staples® Cubicle Clips, White, 20/Pack | Staples®
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote