Happy Camper vs Odorlos... which is better? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Happy Camper vs Odorlos... which is better?

Which product is better for use in a porta potty or cassette type toilet; Happy Camper or Odorlos?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:57 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Which product is better for use in a porta potty or cassette type toilet; Happy Camper or Odorlos?
Haven't had a cassette yet, but if the right LS comes along.....
With the PPs & standard toilets I've had for the last 30 years, I've used a cup or so of Pine Sol. Never had a problem with odors, material breakdowns or clogs from using standard TP. One thing I've experienced here in SoCal at some dump stations, starting maybe 5 years ago, is the stations not letting you dump with "some" types of chemicals. The Pine Sol was always OK with them. If I remember correctly, those were septic tanks though. Guess the real answer John, is to try different products and use the one that works best for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
After going through all the local products we could find trying to get rid of the sink, we tried Happy Camper. Still happy with it after about 2 years, the day I'm not I'll try Odorlos. From the reviews I read it sounds like an equally good product.

I like the powdered product as it takes up less storage room. The little tub we have lasts a long time, which is good as we trravel for months at a time.

I do add it right after we dump so it has a chance to dissolve while being shaken while driving. Obviously a fluid product would just need little shaking.

Probably can't go wrong with either product, just pick one to try.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Odorlos kills *ALL* odors PERIOD! It neutralizes what causes the odors to begin. I had my doubts until I tried it about 6 yrs ago and now will NOT switch. I dont even consider the liquid bottle a problem at ALL. I just know it works and will not have to deal with a stinking RV and BELIEVE me, that's critical in a 13' trailer!

When you get a product that "smells good", it's simply masking or "band aiding" the smells that will still haunt you later on! Trust me!

Odorlos ALL the way....
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

Deep South
Bob are you using the Odorlos in a RV toilet with black tank or a porta potty?

Thanks Dave, if the Happy Camper doesn't work we may try the Pine Sol.

Darral same question for you, do you have a RV toilet & black tank or a porta potty?

We have a very basic model Dometic porta potty (2 gallon freshwater & 5 gallon black tank) in our wetbath. We bought a bottle of Odorlos from Camping World back in the fall and just finished the bottle on the last trip. It does break solids and toilet paper down as it claims. As far as the odor, on some trips it seemed to do okay, some not so well (unpleasant). My thoughts after reading everything I could about it on their website is that it works best in a regular RV black tank that vents to the outside as opposed to a porta potty which has no vent. Even letting it sit a few days after a trip so the Odorlos can have time to work didn't seem to make much difference.

On one of our recent camping trips the campground store had some Happy Camper for sale so I bought a container to try since we were almost out of the Odorlos but have yet to try it out. According to Happy Camper their product works a little differently than Odorlos but to my recollection their website didn't specify in detail what the difference was. So I was just wondering if anyone else had tried both, particularly in a non-venting porta potty or cassette toilet. Also, the question was raised as to whether the cassette toilet vents to the outside like a regular RV black tank? I don't know the answer to that, but if it does that could be a significant advantage to a cassette toilet as opposed to a porta potty type with no vent.

I did see a mod on here somewhere, that the guy added a vent to a porta potty type toilet but I think he also added a dump valve like a RV black tank has so he doesn't have to remove the toilet to dump it. I thought about adding a vent to ours but don't think that will work where I can disconnect the vent valve from it so it can be emptied?? I will have to search for and take another look at that mod...I am giving a lot of consideration about converting to a RV toilet with a black tank.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good question- Ours is the black tank but it's directly under our commode- basically same as a porta potty- EXCEPT- you're right it's vented to the outside! There may be "residual" waste not being affected by the Odorlos that doesnt make it into the tanks? PLUS, we ALWAYS leave our bathroom window opened slightly year-round 24/7.

Let us know if you DO find out there's a difference. I'd love to know because of advising for future reference on groups. Never thought about it now- difference between the black tanks and porta potties.

Quote:

Thanks Dave, if the Happy Camper doesn't work we may try the Pine Sol.

Darral same question for you, do you have a RV toilet & black tank or a porta potty?

Thanks for the responses!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #7

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Good question- Ours is the black tank but it's directly under our commode- basically same as a porta potty- EXCEPT- you're right it's vented to the outside! There may be "residual" waste not being affected by the Odorlos that doesnt make it into the tanks? PLUS, we ALWAYS leave our bathroom window opened slightly year-round 24/7.

Let us know if you DO find out there's a difference. I'd love to know because of advising for future reference on groups. Never thought about it now- difference between the black tanks and porta potties.
I think the vent is significant because any gases/odors can escape rather than build up as opposed to a porta potty type setup, so I think that while Odorlos may be a great product for RV black tanks it may not be ideally suited for a porta potty. I suspect the same thing is true with the Happy Camper product. It seems to me like a vent that could be disconnected from my porta potty black tank would solve the problem but it would have to be guaranteed not to leak when disconnected for servicing!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #8

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Talking The stink pot.

I have tried several types of potty's, and chemicals. I have decided to go with the lug-a-loo. You can get it at Wal-Mart for around $12.00 or on line. It is a toilet seat and lid that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. I use plastic bags to line the bucket. When you have made your deposit just tie it up and take it to the trash. (also makes a good weapon for a would be intruder) I know that some of you think this is disgustingly gross. Well, it is. I have been a nurse, now retired at a nursing home for years, and believe me we dump a ton of full diapers in the trash that goes to the land fill. All poo stinks. Although I do know some people that thinks theirs does not. Just think, no more going to a dump station or carrying the load back home with you and then having to clean and wash the thing out. Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another thought is to use a three gal bucket. It is just much lower to the floor. The three gal is easier to store. Just sit it up on a milk crate to use. Also the plastic grocery bags fit well on the bucket. Beware though, some are of less quality than others. You may want to double or triple them. There are many bags on the market. I do prefer a darker colored one as to hide the contents as you stroll to the the trash bin.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #9

Name: Estella
Trailer: Currently shopping.
California
Send a message via Yahoo to LaFille1
Did you mean: odorless?
LaFille1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFille1 View Post
Did you mean: odorless?
Nope.

https://www.amazon.com/Yara-PA352LU5.../dp/B0000AY60Z
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
I've NOT tried Odorlos. Odorlos is what I'll try should the Happy Camper decide to stop working. It's been 2 years, roughly 200 nights.

We have a toilet/black tank. FWIW, prior to switching to Happy Camper we got odors coming in from the roof top black tank vent when the regular vent in the bathroom ceiling is open, and the wind is right.

You already own it, give it a try.