Has Anyone Changed The Front Crank Stand to One With a Wheel?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Boler
If the front stand had a wheel, the Boler could be moved so much easier

Hello Again,
Another post from me!!! I have so many questions.
I had an old tent trailer, and the front stand crank had a wheel. Two people could move this trailer NO problem.
My 73 Boler is around the same weight if not less........but it has an old crank down stand with no wheel.
Has anyone replaced theirs??? Any idea of where to get one with a wheel that will fit??
Thanks.
Sue!!
Attached Thumbnails
boler.jpeg  
dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 1992 Bigfoot 17 ft
Hi
You may want to try Princess Auto in Whitby (Thickson exit 401 South)
Norm
Norm Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 73 Boler
I replaced my whole crank stand and it had a wheel already. Only problem was now the stand was too high and you couldnt lower it enough to get the rear jacks down to the right height. So. I cut off the wheel and welded the old plate on where the wheel went. The jack was purchased at PA. So. If you find a wheel make sure you can crank the jack in enough to utilize your rear stabilizers.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I have one as well.....its pictured on my website.

Its a little high as well but definitely easier than the stand;

- Kurt
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Princess Auto-$24.95 plus taxes. Flips up along the frame and gives the frame some protection in case you jack knife.
Can move the trailer around with one hand. I recommend replacing the bolts that come with it with stainless steel bolts and SS nyloc nuts.
In that location they would rust up fast!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy_of_Boler_96.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	9205
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
On my father's Shasta he had both. On the post that comes down, there was a wheel that could be lifted up and slotted up when hitched up to the car. I know I'm not explaining it right but maybe someone else out there knows of something like that. It wasn't a separate thing, it will still part of the hitch.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Just a thought but I prefer to have a skid on the bottom of my tonge jack to help prevent an inadvertent runaway trailer. Yes, you should chock your wheels before unhitching, but...

If you want to move the trailer around, how about getting a tongue dolly like one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=37510
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I replaced my wheel-less swing-down jack with one with a wheel and found out that the two different brands of jack did NOT use the same diameter swivel ring...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I have the same one as Con. Can't beat that price.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I changed my tongue jack to one with a wheel and found one disadvantage...if you are on a sloped driveway, the trailer won`t stay put but will roll and if you are alone it becomes a problem when moving the trailer and then trying to chock the wheels and hold the trailer from rolling....Princess Auto here sold a jack with a brake on it but I didn`t buy and maybe should have.....I use the trailer dolly and have to turn it 90 degrees to the tongue so one of the dolly tires jams under the tongue and the trailer doesn`t roll......the good part about the new tongue jack is that if the driveway is flat you can push the trailer around by pushing on the cabin........when I went to install my jack, I found that because of the height of my trailer tongue, I had to fabricate mounting brackets so the the jack sat higher and I could drop the tongue lower when stting up in some camp ground sites.....you can see what I mean in my webshots site pics.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We added a boat one to our Burro that we bought at a Bass Pro Shop. We did not take off the other, just left it on but in the up position and did not use it.

CindyL
Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
I just bought the wheel... drilled a small hole through the original stand and when I need to use the wheel I crank the front up with a jack, slide the wheel in, put a bolt with cotter pin through the hole, move it around and then take the wheel off. It sounds like work, but for as often as I need this feature it isn't too bad. On Scamp one I did put the swing up kind on that has the wheel attached, but on Scamp two with the tongue box, I don't have room for the swing!!

Come to think of it though, my bday is coming up and I would like to have one of those trailer dollys... since I have a snowmobile, a utility trailer and a couple of ATV's I could justify having the trailer dolly if I can talk the kids into buying it for me!! LOL

I might mention that I have had Scamp 1 get away from me though... had a slight hill on the driveway and once while rolling it around manually, it started moving faster than I was prepared for and being as though I was alone and couldn't get anything behind a wheel to stop it I was about to be in big trouble! Luckily a neighbor was watching and ran over to help- now when I am pushing it around I keep a block more handy to put behind that front wheel if need be!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Boler
[quote]Princess Auto-$24.95 plus taxes. Flips up along the frame and gives the frame some protection in case you jack knife.
Can move the trailer around with one hand. I recommend replacing the bolts that come with it with stainless steel bolts and SS nyloc nuts.
In that location they would rust up fast!

Attachment 9205

Hi there
I didn't see the one for $24.95. I've attached the pic of the flyer. Let me know if the one you are talking about is on there!
Thanks!
Sue!
Attached Thumbnails
Picture_1.png  
dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
Con

If I remember correctly it was the 1000 lb. swivel jack Item 1070020. That is the regular price but they the have them on for the sale price of $24.95 every so often. I think the last flyer I had showed them on sale again.
If you mount it with the bottom bolts tight up against the bottom of the frame it still gives you enough movement to set the trailer level when you park. At least with the Boler it does.
Common sense tells me that if I am going to to move the trailer around on a sloped driveway or ground I am going to have a wheel chock in my hand. A shop dolly is fine when you are at home but its no use to you when you are out in the boonies. That caster wheel sure is though.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Boler
I have not installed it yet but my wife picked up an assembly from Costco for $20. It has a pad and a wheel so you can swap out what you need when hitched up. I am hopefully installing it on Friday before we go out.

My only question is if 1500lbs is enough capacity?

Dave
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Con as I am looking at your photo I have a question. Your stand with the wheel -- how does it swing itself beside the tongue ? Which direction does it take - left or right?
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #17
Con

You can rotate the stand 360 degrees. I rotate it with the wheel to the back.
You pull on the spring loaded handle to release or lock the stand when you have the trailer on the hitch.
When you park the trailer you swing the stand down, put in your wheel chocks, release the ball lock and crank the wheel down until the coupler comes off the ball.
Then use you rear support jack stands and crank the front up or down till the tailer is level. I have 2 small levels on the belly band, one by the door and one below the front window.

And David a 1,000 lb. jack is plenty. You are only supporting a tongue weight of approx. 200 lbs.
The whole Boler only weights about 1,100 lbs.
That one you have where you can change out pad or wheel would be good.
We let our Costco card expire a couple of years ago and the closest ones to us are about and hour away. Not worth it to us now that we don't have a farm anymore.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
This is kinda moot now, but when I first put the swivel jack onto my Boler, I found that with the jack mounted as Con`s is, I didn`t have enough collapse in the jack in some campsites because of the terrain....to compensate I would have had to back onto planks to raise the trailer or possibly dig a hole for the jack wheel....therefore my jack is mounted about 2" higher than Con`s....my trailer sits fairly low and suppose that I could have altered the axle but that wasn`t an option.....Also was surprised that some people had the trailer dollies at their campsites.....never saw any a couple years ago...they were basically a home use item......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #19
Con

Benny, I know what you are saying. I always throw a couple of extra 2x4, 4x4 or 6x6 short blocks in the back of the truck, never know when you might need some. What you could do is put the blocks under the coupler,let the jack down and flip it up.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #20

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I didn't read all the responses but I got a wheel that fit from an RV dealer but upon getting it home and putting it on my Boler 13 ft., I realized that when I cranked it up as far as it would go, the wheel was only about 4 inches above the ground way too low for traveling.
I took it off and just have a shoe on it but I still have the wheel and if for some reason I am on tar or concrete and need to move it I have it in the Boler.
The weight of the Boler and the smallness of the wheel doesn't allowe it to roll too good on earth. (ie) a campground site.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote