Has anyone mounted the propane regulator off the camper body? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Has anyone mounted the propane regulator off the camper body?

I have the typical* stock setup on the front of my 13-er. That is, one 20# propane bottle mounted on the tongue and held down with the Scamp-style two pieces of vertical flat bar, with the flexible pigtail hose leading to the regulator which is mounted on the front of the body below the belly band.

I'm currently in a spate of rivet elimination, and I could not help but notice that the regulator is riveted to the shell there (itchy drill finger ).

Now, I don't have any major, burning reason to move it; but on the other hand, I wonder what other options I have? Does anyone have the regulator mounted elsewhere/elseway? If so, would you mind sharing where/how?

Thanks,
Raya

*Okay, I may be wrong about the "typical" part, but I've seen it on a few Boler 13's, including mine
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ahhhh the regulator is mounted on the propane bottle on my Scamp. Just like a barbecue. I didn't know the regulator was mounted any other way on molded trailers. Guess I'm not very observant...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #3

Oh, nifty! Would you be able to post a photo sometime? I would love to see how that is situated. Also, since I may just order a new regulator when the time comes, is it a horizontal or vertical regulator?

Thanks,
Raya
Old 10-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

Raya, unless someone beats me to it, the earliest will be Tuesday. It's now dark outside and I'll get home after sundown tomorrow. Probably needlessly to say, but I leave in the morning at O-dark-thirty too.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

Okay, thanks Donna. I'll know you aren't just neglecting me

Anyone else have theirs not mounted on the camper body, and want to share info?

Raya
Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
This isn't a direct answer to your question BUT, the regulator on my twin tank setup is mounted vertical on the post between the tanks.

A regulator does not care how it is mounted as it works by pressure.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Scamp
This is how Scamp did it on my 09.
Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	31775
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #8

Thanks, Joe! Great to have a photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
This isn't a direct answer to your question BUT, the regulator on my twin tank setup is mounted vertical on the post between the tanks.

A regulator does not care how it is mounted as it works by pressure.

Bill K
And Bill, that's interesting. Vintage Trailer Supply sells the same Regulator in both horizontal and vertical style. They say you should always have the vent pointing down (so this allows you to do that with one of the options).

Marshall One-Tank Regulator

Are they mistaken?

They also mention that a cover is required by RVIA (which I see on Joe's).

Raya
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
The written word does it to me again. LOL

It will work vertical or horizontal, but the vent does have to be pointed down to prevent water getting inside the regulator.
I would do it that way without even thinking about it.

The cover may be for the horizontal one to keep out water.
I say this because my vertical one does not have a cover.

Bill K

And Bill, that's interesting. Vintage Trailer Supply sells the same Regulator in both horizontal and vertical style. They say you should always have the vent pointing down (so this allows you to do that with one of the options).

Marshall One-Tank Regulator

Are they mistaken?

They also mention that a cover is required by RVIA (which I see on Joe's).

Raya[/QUOTE]
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #10

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
This may not be on all regulators, but some have threads inside the vent for extensions, usually to the out side, but with some smiple pipe fittings one could concievable mount the reguator anywhere and modify the vent accordingly, making the vent the high spot to keep dust from clogging it.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
The cover may be for the horizontal one to keep out water.
I say this because my vertical one does not have a cover.
Vintage sells one cover that looks like it fits both regulators (they don't specify that it only fits one and they sell both vertical and horizontal). They also say that all regulators are required to have covers. Of course I wouldn't take their word on it necessarily as it would not be the first time a company was wrong on what the rules are/aren't.

My current one has a cover, although it is the older "single" style regulator. I plan to replace it with a double, and was debating whether to remount it to the body or whether to eliminate yet two more rivets

Raya
Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Here's what I did for my recent Trailswest Campster re-do.
BTW, the tank came from Costco and includes a gauge to tell me how much gas is inside...
Attached Thumbnails
TWC_FrntUtil.jpg  
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #13

Hi Robert,

It looks like the regulator is inline with the hose? Is anything supporting it? I can't quite make out the details in the photo, but I would sure like to see more.

When I bought a new tank, I originally bought one with a small gauge. I ended up returning it (the handle cutouts didn't play well with my hold-downs) and several people mentioned that the gauge was not very accurate anyway (the new-new tank does not have a gauge, and I was lamenting that fact). This was a small dial of about 1.5" diameter with numbers and a green/yellow/red shading of the dial.

I just love those Compact Jr./Campsters! So far no luck in finding one though, so I'm going to town on my Boler in the meantime

Raya

PS: Oh, I just noticed that fitting where the propane hose goes into the body. Would you have a close up of that? Is it just a grommet type of thing? Looks a bit "marine-ish."
Old 10-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Registry
The two-stage regulator is inline with the hose, but fastens directly to the tank. (Valve points down.)

My bulkhead fittings are simply a combination of threaded brass gas fittings and large washers (to spread the load of pressure), outside and inside , and a bit of butyl putty to help create a tight seal.
Attached Thumbnails
TWC_tank.jpg   TWC_Regulator.jpg  

TWC_Fittings.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #15

Thanks, Robert!

Now I feel like I'm peppering you with questions, but I'm curious what holds the tank to the mesh deck? (Or maybe you have not done that part yet.)

Much appreciate the info,
Raya
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Registry
No problem!
The solution was simple: standard propane tanks have a "ring" welded to the bottom of the tank so that they can stand. These rings typically feature pre-cut oblong or round holes. I ran small "u-bolts" thru three of these holes and down into the mesh. Nuts and lock washers from underneath pull the bolts down tight. Since I usually fill my tank at the propane station while it's on-board the trailer, I figured a semi-permanent hold-down solution wouldn't be too much of a bother.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Since the kitchen is in the rear of the Campact Jr. The gas line goes under the trailer and enters thru the floor under the stove. I carry the bottle in the truck and strap down the flex-hose and regulator to the trailer tongue.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
The two-stage regulator is inline with the hose, but fastens directly to the tank. (Valve points down.)

My bulkhead fittings are simply a combination of threaded brass gas fittings and large washers (to spread the load of pressure), outside and inside , and a bit of butyl putty to help create a tight seal.
I love the fittings, it creates a clean look. I may have to copy that on my rig. Great looking setup.
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
standard propane tanks have a "ring" welded to the bottom of the tank so that they can stand. These rings typically feature pre-cut oblong or round holes.
Yes!
My Char-broil Gas Grill has a shelf with a hole in it that mates to this ring. In the sides of this hole, below the shelf, are captive bolts that engage these holes so that the tank doesn't fall off when I wheel the grill from one side of the patio to the other. Using these holes is an egg-celent idea to secure the tank to the tongue!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #20

Okay, I'm coming late to the party but I promised a picture. (Ignore the rust... it adds character )
Attached Thumbnails
PropaneReg.jpg