Has anyone ordered replacement cushions from Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Hello from a Scamp and forum newbie in central Oregon!

First, thank you *so* much to everyone who has posted here -- I've already learned an incredible amount by reading previous posts.

I just purchased a '77 13' Scamp and would like to replace the cushion covers and possibly the foam as well. Thanks to a previous post here, I was able to view their fabric options, and Scamp is sending me samples of the two I'm trying to decide between. However, with the foam, apparently the Scamp employee that did shipping recently quit, and the person in parts that I spoke with seemed to have no way of knowing roughly what the shipping costs might run for the foam. (I asked what that meant if I wanted to go ahead and order them, and he said something about needing another month...!)

Here are my questions:
1. For anyone who has ordered replacement covers from Scamp -- do you recall how long it took to get them?
2. For anyone who has ordered cushions (including foam) from Scamp -- do you recall anything about the shipping costs?

I've also considered buying and cutting my own foam, although I'm missing the front banana cushion and the back/upper bunk cushion has been cut (and is missing the plywood). Depending on the shipping costs, I may go the DIY route for the foam.

Any information/advise would be welcome! Thank you in advance.

-Rebecca
Rebecca H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Rebecca,

I can't answer your questions exactly, but I'd guess that because of the size, the shipping costs for new foam cushions would really add up. If your foam isn't in bad shape, I would recommend just replacing the covers. We chose to hire someone to make denim covers and kept our original foam. The cost was about the same as what Scamp charges for replacement covers.

Good luck with yours and welcome to the FGRV community!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I ordered the cushions from Scamp in February and they took about ten days to get here. They are the way to go in my estimation as the quality is good and couldn't have bought the material to DIY for much less than the finished cushions. Unless you want something custom of course.

The foam I ordered from an Internet supplier of foam that was recommended here.
Foam

Was about $180 with shipping if I recall. Awesome, came in small compressed rolls. Cut it with a Spyderco bread knife and it cut like butter.

Stuffed two cushions, took about an hour, and about killed myself and then went to the dry cleaners and got a bunch of the dry cleaning bags. What a difference. Did the rest of the cushions in like ten minutes.

Anyway, that is the extent of my experience on foam and cushions. Hope it helps.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Rebecca... depending on where you live in "Central Oregon," there's a place in Eugene that's been recommended for foam: FOAM, A place to get custom cut foam

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies! Wow, there seems to be quite a range of prices for a 24" x 72" x 4" slab of foam. (I'd need at least two slabs to replace my smelly front cushions; still debating on the back ones.)

-- At Rochfordsupply.com it's coming out to about $40 including shipping for their Medium Firm HR3319 foam. Greg, I'm wondering if this is the same type of foam you ordered? If so, can you tell me your impressions of its firmness? (I realize it's subjective, but I really have no way to compare.)

-- Through July 7, JoAnn's is having a sale with 50% off all foam, plus an extra 10% off, making it about $36 for each 24" x 72" x 4" slab... actually, I think you can buy it by the yard ($18/yard after the discounts), which could make it cheaper for the shorter cushions. *However*, I didn't think their foam was nearly as nice and firm as the existing foam I have in the trailer (although it did smell a lot better!)

-- The place in Eugene, OR (B&H Upholstery Supply) quoted $76.80 per slab of medium firm foam. They also have 30" x 72" x 2" 'camper pads' for $27.75, and the guy I spoke with suggested that two of these could be glued together. The wider width of these might reduce the number of slabs I'd need. He said that what they get in for these is of varying quality/firmness, so this would be a better option if I could go there in person. (Unfortunately, I live in Bend, OR, which is about 150 miles away, and they're only open M-F.)

-- A couple of other places I looked online were way more expensive... no idea whether this corresponds to better quality.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the possible quality and firmness of the foam from Scamp vs. that from other sources?

Also, if anyone has suggestions for a place that sells foam in Portland, OR, I might try to go check it out in person next time I'm up there.

Wow, and the time I spent on this today was just for the foam -- is this how a little fiberglass trailer becomes a full-time hobby?

Thanks again,
Rebecca
Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I bought my foam from Ikea, it was a double size mattress, egg carton foam on top and bottom, very comfortable, $149.00 Canadian. You would have to make your own cushions as it was 5 1/2" thick if I remember correctly. It was a lot of work, but in the end well worth it.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #7

Hi Rebecca,

I bought the HR3319 4" foam from Rochford and 5 slabs 24x72 did the entire trailer. I got their can of spray foam adhesive and that is magical stuff if you need to weld on any pieces. It was $29.88 a slab and shipping wasn't that much. We are very pleased with it, especially sleeping. We added the Wally memory foam 1/2" topper for $29 for the dinette bed and it is pretty awesome. Of course the 400 count motel sheets don't hurt.
Firmness is a personal preference however, so won't make conclusions for you other then we are very satisfied with both the foam and the Scamp cushions. The Scamp foam, they sent a piece with the cushions and it seems just maybe a tad firmer then the Rochford HR3319. If you went up one step at Rochford might be exact.

I looked at the Joannes foam and it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the Rochford or Scamp and it cost more even on sale. I would definitely not get the foam there.

If you stuff your own cushions, make sure you get the dry cleaner bags. You'll thank whomever came up with that one many times over.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rebecca, if you're replacing the foam because it's smelly, and not because it's broken down... it can be washed and this is the time of year to do it

Get out that handy blue tarp, place foam on it, pour on some soapy water, take off shoes... walk on the foam and do the "grape stomp." Rinse, stomp, rinse, stomp...

Roll the foam as best you can to get as much water out as possible. Set up on edge to drain, squeeze as necessary. Should dry pretty fast in this heat.....

PS: we have a new Ikea store in Portland... out by the airport It's either already open or will open in the next couple of weeks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #9

Thanks again for all the great information! The fabric samples for the cushion covers just arrived from Scamp; now I just have to decide...

As for the foam, for those perusing this post in the future, Rochford Supply has a foam buyers' guide here: http://www.rochfordsupply.com/buyersguide_foam.asp

I think I'll try the 'grape stomp' cleaning method for the rear cushions -- there might be hope for them. The front cushions OTOH were a combination of broken down/altered/missing, so depending on what I eventually find out about shipping costs for getting those cushions from Scamp, I'll either order them from Scamp or get foam from Rochford Supply (and then reverse engineer the shape of the cushions from the cushion covers).

In the meantime, on to carpet, shelving, and other projects!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #10

Rebecca,

When you order the foam, Rochford has an aerosol can of foam cement they sell for like $6. I threw one in my order and boy did I need it on one cushion I miscut. The stuff works great and you can't even tell it is not a single piece of foam. With your reverse engineering, might be helpful to have a can of this stuff.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #11

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
We recently ordered a full set of foam and cushions from Scamp. They said it would be about a week to make them, plus about a week to ship. The cushions were $480, and shipping (which included one other average size box of other items) came to a whopping $180!

The cushions are very firm, but seem to be softening a bit with use.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #12

Wow, I guess it's the plywood in the one cushion and the size of the finished cushions that nails the shipping from Scamp.

I paid $265 for a full set of cushion covers from Scamp and the new foam for the entire Scamp from Rochford including shipping was $180 so the total was $445 incl shipping for the whole enchilada. Of course, that doesn't include the plywood back for the gaucho if you don't have that for some reason, and you have to do the labor of assembling yourself, but it wasn't that difficult. We added the 1/2" memory foam topper from wally for the dinette bed and it is pretty awesome. We find ourselves wanting to go out and sleep in the Scamp when we're home.

We are very pleased with the foam from Rochford and it is pretty cool how they ship it in little compressed rolls.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #13

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
What kind of foam is this that is so costly? If it is natural latex,..it would be high priced.
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp