Has Anyone Replaced Sliders with Radius Jalousie Windows? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 84 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Has Anyone Replaced Sliders with Radius Jalousie Windows?

I just got off of the phone with Scamp and they mentioned that swapping radius sliders with modern radius jalousie windows would require some fiberglass work and could leave gaps in the ensolite.

Has anyone replaced sliders from an 80s Scamp with modern jalousies? If so, is it a direct fit?

Also, has anyone replaced the door slider with the fixed window?

Thanks,
Al
VA_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No I haven't made the change and no they are not a direct refit. Scamp gave you the correct advice. You obviously can't go from square corners to radius corners without something to fill in the gap, both fiberglass and interior.

For twelve years I've owned a Scamp with radius corner windows and for twelve years I've wished my trailer had the old style jalousies. Obviously, YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

Virginia
Thanks Donna for your reply. My current windows are rounded sliders which I'm looking to replace with rounded jalousies; the ones currently being sold by Scamp.

They both appear to be 18x24 so the only thing I can think of is that there might be a difference in the radius of the corners (the Scamp rep cautioned me but was not certain). Was hoping to find out for certain.

Thanks,
Al
Old 05-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

OH! I thought you were talking square corners to radius. D'oh. Sorry for the confusion.

But, I still wish I had the old fashioned jalousies
Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I dont know why if your original windows are 18x24 radius corner sliders why a 18x24 new style radius corner crank out wouldn't fit ( are your old windows a clamp ring style?). I also would think if the same size your could replace sliding window in door with stationary glass, if it the same size or bigger...
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

Minnesota
Registry
I would tell the scamp rep to get up and take a little walk to warehouse or the production floor since Im sure you can still get scamps with sliders....
Old 05-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #7

Virginia
Donna: in terms of square jalousies, I've been a long time visitor to this site and I know how much you love them. If I had 2 sets one would be on its way to my trailer and the other would be on its way to you. Thanks for all of your contributions to this community.

Hambone: I agree with you which is why I was ready to place the order but I'm going to confirm the corner radius on my scamp windows before I pull the trigger. It's stored offsite right now. What's interesting is that their website lists the fixed door window as 15x15 but they responded by email and stated it's really 15.25x15.75. My current opening is 15 x 15.5 so I may have to enlarge it slightly.

Seems like not many people have replaced their windows. Many have resealed the glass or cleared drain holes with trimmer line. My only reason for swapping is that I want some ventilation in the rain and a fixed door window which I hope with regular maintenance will keep the door from taking on water and sagging in the future.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I installed a Scamp ( Hehr ) jalousie window in our Uhaul. Nice window, but I had to modify the opening for it to fit, which of course has nothing to do with your situation. Best I could do is give you the outside measurements and corner radius of the exterior frame. Scamp price is reasonable and they actually built a wood box to ship it in along with the rear window I bought.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes Donna, we just picked up a 1976 Trillium which was the first brand we started with several years ago. At the time we didn't realize the gem we had.
I have fallen in love all over again with the jalousie windows!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

I think Al is smart to consider the change. If you must have single pane windows, jalousies rule! Even the modified versions. IMHO.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
Al, In terms of water getting into your door from window, i had that problem with soaked door core, what I found out it wasnt the window, but actually the door handle. Below my window was dry but below door handle door was soaked. I made a gasket for the door handle ( dont know if there ever was one). For ventilation on my sliders I installed those maxi-window vents. Just have one installed on one of the rear sliders, is opened when not moving all the time, was a relative easy install (measure twice, cut once!!)
Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #12

Virginia
That's great information regarding the door handle causing the damp core. Seems like a great idea to seal that as well (maybe a butyl gasket).

I just got back from assessing my trailer's windows. I currently have my door window removed and the door has a 3" radius so a direct swap should be possible.

The rear dinette windows seem like they have a smaller radius which could be a problem. I have not removed the dinette window so I haven't gotten an exact read but the corner seems not as round as the 3" template that I created. I checked Hehr's website and 3 3/8" radius seems to be pretty standard so I'm hoping my estimate is just off.

Tags
jalousie windows, windows

« Burro Manual | Mold »