Having bearings packed tomorrow any other must do's? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Without a pic I can only guess. But "Something extra sticking out" might be a grease fitting for injecting grease into the bearing space without removing the hub.
I would suggest not using it for that until you have had it pulled down, cleaned and inspected, as over greasing, in some instances, can force grease past the seals in into the brakes, not a good thing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If this was my trailer and paying someone to repack wheel bearings I would.

1. Have him check the brakes while in there.
2. clean and pack the bearings.
3. Get a spare set of bearings and clean and pack them and put them in
plastic container and pack them in spare parts. If you have the room I
would pack them into a spare hub and store it.
4. check any plumbing lines hanging under the trailer both gas and fluids.
5. Check the frame welds and all tubing up front for cracks.
Check around the trailer steps if you have them.
6. spin the tires and check for run-out and unusual wear patterns. check the
build dates on the tires and fill to the proper pressure. don't forget the
spare.
7. look at the frame for rust that needs attention.
8. Spray a little lube in the working parts of the trailer hitch.
9. check the leveling jacks and spray some lube on them if necessary.
10 Check any hanging wires and tie them up.

Once you get the trailer back home check the torque on the trailer lug nuts.
it is very wise to recheck them after any service work is done and after its first short run.

This would take a few extra minutes time unless there are problems but a cursory look could save you allot of trouble later down the road. How often do people actually look under their trailers especially any retiree's.
This should take care of under the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
While your bearings may be sealed or not it is still wise to jack them up and spin them listening for bad sounds. Try to wiggle them to check for looseness in the assembly and remove the wheels and check the brake system.

Sealed bearings don't mean maintenance free. One thing I would do if I owned these bearing system is I would do a test run at trying to buy replacement bearing or hub parts. Standard trailer bearings are available at most auto parts. Hubs are not and usually ordered. Sealed bearings may not be easy to get in an urgent time of need. Good to know ahead of need and maybe stock a set of spares. Allot of these eggs are getting quite old and may need higher than normal maintenance. There are only a few key parts that actually keep you running down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Carolyn,
Raya is correct in that UHaul's have sealed hubs that never need to have the bearings lubed. The only reason this might be different is if the hubs and axle were replaced with a more standard unit. I seriously doubt that has been done on your VT, though. Why do you think they need packing? Have you heard any rubbing or have they been generating abnormal heat when rolling? The VTs and CTs were meant to be used and abused by renters, so the company made this one less job that the service dealers had to take care of.

Kevin A
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
First, all good points to check; BUT... I think that I would check lug nuts for security before I went as far as across the street, especially after having it serviced.

Carrying a complete extra hub may be a bit of overkill. When buying a used trailer I always start out with a new set of bearings and keep the old ones as an emergency spare set, along with a, usually harder to find, new grease seal. Properly maintained, bearing failures are very rare.

And, if the tire build dates indicate anything over 7 years old, I would spring for new tires before that tow home. You will want to replace them anyway, why not be safe from the git-go.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #25

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Without a pic I can only guess. But "Something extra sticking out" might be a grease fitting for injecting grease into the bearing space without removing the hub.
I would suggest not using it for that until you have had it pulled down, cleaned and inspected, as over greasing, in some instances, can force grease past the seals in into the brakes, not a good thing.

Thank you Bob! Oh yes it will be taken off and everything checked. We're going over this camper good and fixing what needs fixing. Got the butyl tape ordered to replace all window seals and the fans etc. on top. Also got the plumbing things ordered for the top as well to replace those. This camper sit under a tree for 4 years that we know of so every things getting checked that we know to check. Haven't even started with the appliances and stuff yet. Hasn't even been plugged in yet. Thank you all again for your help!!! We are new to RV's so we appreciate all the help!
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #26

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Carrying a complete extra hub may be a bit of overkill. When buying a used trailer I always start out with a new set of bearings and keep the old ones as an emergency spare set, along with a, usually harder to find, new grease seal. Properly maintained, bearing failures are very rare.
Amen!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #27

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnpondr View Post
Ours seem to have something extra sticking out in the center and I have no clue what it is.
Yuk, yuk, yuk. I've been rebuilding utility and boat trailers for decades, as well as a couple old stickies, usually the first thing I do is rebuild the hubs. So a year ago last October we buy this almost new 2012 egg, and of course the first thing I do when I have it home is pull the hubs. Gee, never saw hubs like that before! I figured it out, but it took a bit. You're never too old to learn a new trick! Although I think I'm getting there...

Got pics?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Actually Alf, I called him this afternoon about installing a brake controller in my new truck. So he will go thru all of that. I wasn't thinking about it before but figure get it done now, hopefully I have covered all my base's. Thankfully I don't have a long way to go to take the trailer to him, I think I need a new hitch as well, trailer is riding a little high with the new truck. But since the rv place is a hitch place as well, he should be able to cover that. Just today I had another person highly recommend this guy for his hitches, so I feel pretty good about giving up control of the Casita for the day. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Robin
New truck and getting the trailer checked over! Does that mean you are going to make your way to a meet on the coast this year??????
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote