heating a Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #21

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
When you're using any gas fueled system you need to have a working CO detector eventhough when running efficiently they produce extremely little CO.
Many of the catalytic heaters have built in oxygen sensors to shut them down before they begin to produce CO, but who wants to take a chance.
The worst problem with CO is that the blood has an affinity for it over oxygen. It takes a hours to get it out of your system so it can accumulate to some extent.
Never use the cook stove in these small trailers and lay down or nap. One of the symptoms is drowsiness. You go to sleep and you don't wake up.
I have a buddy heater running of a 5 gallon tank myself which I use in my screen tent in the winter. More ventilation that I like some times. If you use regular tanks you need to use an inline filter.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Small buddy heater or other made for heating propane heater should work better than the stove. On the other hand if you make coffee or tea in the morning....

... I can say that in a 13 ft. scamp the chill will be "off" before the coffee is done perking on the stove. Essentially any cooking will take the chill off. Hot water for tea or instant oatmeal. Toasting a bagel on a folding stove top rack etc. It will be warm before the cooking is done.

Aside from CO concerns one will also be pumping a lot of moisture into the air with an open propane burner. Damp may make things less pleasant than the cold.

On shore power the small cube heaters can easily heat a small camper. In Wyoming with snow on the windshield of the car in the morning we were fine all night usina a small cube heater.

Hot rocks from campfire wrapped in towel can stay warm all night and make a very nice foot warmer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #23

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Not a good idea. The stove, without ventilation, is a prime source of carbon monoxide. People in homes keep killing themselves by running a BBQ in the garage to warm up during a power outage.
Thanks Glenn. I will heed your warning. Thank you.

Thanks everyone for your really helpful replies!
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #24

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Great points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Small buddy heater or other made for heating propane heater should work better than the stove. On the other hand if you make coffee or tea in the morning....

... I can say that in a 13 ft. scamp the chill will be "off" before the coffee is done perking on the stove. Essentially any cooking will take the chill off. Hot water for tea or instant oatmeal. Toasting a bagel on a folding stove top rack etc. It will be warm before the cooking is done.

Aside from CO concerns one will also be pumping a lot of moisture into the air with an open propane burner. Damp may make things less pleasant than the cold.

On shore power the small cube heaters can easily heat a small camper. In Wyoming with snow on the windshield of the car in the morning we were fine all night usina a small cube heater.

Hot rocks from campfire wrapped in towel can stay warm all night and make a very nice foot warmer.
Greats points. Cool name. Thanks a lot.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp