Heating and Cooling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
Heating and Cooling

I'm in the process of converting a cargo trailer into a camper (interior dimensions are 15'10" x 6'8") that I'll be living in for a little over a year. I've been looking around at different options for heating and cooling and was wondering if anyone here had suggestions. I'm planning on setting it up with solar, so am definitely open supplementing propane heat with electric; I don't know if I'll have the capacity to run just electric heat.
Thanks for any advice.
TetonTele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You will need electric for the a/c but you can set the trailer up to operate everything else off 12v and battery with solar. A good MaxxFan with some nice awning windows should keep it cool. Your propane furnace will also operate off 12v for heat. Lights, pump, tv, radio can all be 12v. Dual 6 volt batteries is probably a good start.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You should look at the Heat Source Propex line of furnaces. There is a write-up here on the Fiberglass RV website showing how Denny Wolfe installed one in his Lil Snoozy. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post449450 I installed one a little differently in our Lil Snoozy.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01465.jpg   DSC01468.jpg  

DSC01469.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Aaron, is your cargo trailer fiberglass?

Please put some pictures up as you move along on your project; people will be interested to see how approach the conversion.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As most of the members of this site either own or have an interest in existing molded fiberglass trailers such as Scamps, Casita's, Boler's, BigFoot and others, they may not have the experiences or expertise you are seeking for your project.

May I suggest that you try cargo trailer & truck conversions or similar searches, on Google and you may find sites and individuals with more direct experiences.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

Oregon
It's not fiberglass - it's a CargoMate utility trailer. I was hoping to find a fiberglass, but didn't find one I could afford in the area.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
GRC

Name: Greg
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Washington
CheapRvLiving is very supportive of converting enclosed cargo trailers and has many examples of conversions and discussions of heating and cooling
Cheap RV Living.com-Home

The teardrop and tiny travel trailer forum (tnttt.com) is very strongly do-it-yourself and has a whole section devoted to cargo trailer conversions with many build photos.
Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page
GRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #8

Oregon
Thanks for the links - I was hoping to get some opinions from people who might not be checking those forums, as well.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If I were you I'd stick about 6" of foam on the ceiling. Propane will be the most economical heat source by far, and you should not need to supplement with 120V electric if you insulate adequately.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote