Heavy Duty Bargman - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2003, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Heavy Duty Bargman

I am starting planning on wiring up my 2002 Honda Odyssey to eventually tow a Casita. I will describe in another post what I would like to install on a new Casita that is usually found on diesel pushers with a multiple battery bank. Needless to say, I would like robust power coming in to a Lifeline 31 from either the large alternator on the Odyssey or most likely if dry camping dual Honda 2000i input of 30 amps. On my house I am installing a 4 wire Gen-Tran transfer switch with custom cables from Gen-Tran to convert the Honda parallel 3 wire to 4 wire so as to better justify the dual Honda's.

However, I am better at planning than implementing. For the Ody, I plan to use a Hellroaring BIC-75150 fed either by 8 gauge from the generator (first choice) or from the battery. The fat wire problem is that I want to run 8 gauge for power and ground to the rear Bargman connector based on Hellroaring recommendations. There are more robust connectors than a Bargman, but to stay compatible with a Casita, I must use a Bargman connector. All the Bargmans I have seen take 10 gauge at most. And barely at that.

So far I plan to convert at the rear to 10 gauge from 8 gauge or just give up and run 10 gauge from the BIC-75150 to the rear of the Ody. Is there a way to stuff 8 gauge onto a connector that will fit a Bargman? Also what kind of wire connector is used for the center connector that is used for a Casita backup light? Or does one just feed the wire in and tighten the screw without using a wire connector?

I could just install the BIC-75150 and let Casita do the wiring, but I plan to install Airlift bags and run the compressor wiring in the same split wire loom to the front. Besides, Casita probably would have a cow when they tried to install the Prodigy brake controller and find the firewall grommlet they probably always use full with fog lights, transmission cooler gauge wires, etc. I'm not sure they have ever drilled a new grommlet hole in an Odyssey firewall.

Seems easier to do it myself. But first I have to figure out how to connect 8 gauge power and ground wires to a Bargman.

Note that the Airlift bags are for a loaded Odyssey (no Casita) and 4 bikes on the rear with a Yakima swing away rack. When towing with a Casita, a WDH would be used. I bet Charles will find it hard to resist pointing out that if I had a Suburban, I wouldn't need Airlifts.

Barry

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:03 PM   #2

If I was planning to do a lot of modifications and was worried about the bargman, I would run all the heavy wireing to the to the back of the tow vehicle. Finish everythind on the tow vehicle.

Splice a bargman on to get the Casita home. At home you could install the connector of your choice and run heavy wireing back into the Casita.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:29 PM   #3

8ga in a 10ga plug

Barry:

I'd just trim the 8ga strands til it fit into the 10ga plug. If ya think it's gonna weaken, a dab of solder will stiffen it up.

You've really got some grand electrical plans. :)

Old 08-13-2003, 06:02 AM   #4

switch plugs

check with your local rv shop the plugs have rateings . If you want you can run a seperate power line and use battery disconect plugs
with have a higher rateing dependent on wire size 0 gauge if i remember right and 75 amps depending on plug different rateings are differant size physicaly .:cheers

Old 08-13-2003, 09:24 AM   #5

I've wired a couple Bargman connectors in the past.
On larger guage wires, I split the strands in two halves and soldered them into a spade type connector shape.

The center pin wire is inserted into hole and attached with a set screw.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:53 PM   #6

Bargman

Barry,
I like Don's idea. I had a similar problem when installing new 200 amp service in my home. The 00 wire would not fit into the 100 amp breakers. The lineman from the power company told me to just cut off several strands. Actually I had to cut off only two strands. It works OK. You could always try that and change it later, if you have a problem.

Old 08-13-2003, 05:47 PM   #7

Absolutely correct to nip off a few strands til the 8ga is necked down to 10ga.

I ran big stuf from truck batty to connector and from tonguemounted trailer battery to trailer fuse dist panel. I still haven't tried to upgrade the size from the connector to the battery, but I figure the voltage drop in the five or so feet is a lot less than the entire length of the truck plus the original internal trailer wiring. Eventually I will run a separate set of wires along the harness to a new two pole fitting/connector on the truck.

Don, re: solder on the wires, use caution in the application because solder "cold flows" under the pressure and the connection may easily loosen over time. Don't use one-time squeeze compression fittings with solder and retighten screwdown fittings with solder occasionally.

Pete in the RatHaus

PS Putting solder on *after* the connection is made is OK, but solder under compression will eventually squeeze out...