Heeelp!! Trying to shoehorn Atwood 8012 Heater into 13' Trill - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Heeelp!! Trying to shoehorn Atwood 8012 Heater into 13' Trill

It looked good on paper - Atwood Everest 8012 for my Trillium. Only 201/2 deep. But as I tried to fit it under my sink I realized I have 191/4 max, and am really tight to the sink bottom and drain. Has anyone put one in there? I'm thinking the place with the best space would be under the front seat area, but am concerned that the vent would muck up from mud if we're in the back country.

I've just bought this, and am wondering does the front of the trailer get a lot of mud spray on dirt roads?

Anyone have any excellent ideas on how to make this Everest work in a Trillium?
Atwood Furnace - Atwood Furnace Page
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
No experience with the particular trailer but had the same problem in the Boler. We took the heater out during the restore and replaced it with one the same model that actually worked. When we went to put it in we ran into the same difficulty. I think the original one was forced into place and when we removed it the cabinet relaxed back to normal shape.

The "new" heater stuck out about an inch. We ended up making spacers out of a hard plastic we had laying around to put under the front flange. We painted them to match the cabinet and it has worked fine. It is really close to the sink plumbing but that has not been a problem either.

I would not want a heater installed in a front wall, I do believe that when towing rain and dirt would come in the vent directly into the heater.