Hehr radius black frame window ?s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hehr radius black frame window ?s

1st.: I am working on a 98 Casita with the black frame radius windows that needs to be resealed to the shell. The windows had never been calked/sealed on top. I figured butyl tape, I found some of the good black butyl tape and thought I was good to go. Before pulling the windows it looks like they are using some type of foam gasket between the shell and frame. I really can't find a gasket that matches what I am seeing.
2nd: One window is cracked. It looks like it had been repaired before and they used plexiglass for the repair. Can you buy a real glass replacement for the Hehr radius window. I looked at the Hehr website but not much help. Plan B is to use lexan to replace the plexiglass. It's an exit escape window and the complete replacement window is over $300.

Thanks Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
1st.: I am working on a 98 Casita with the black frame radius windows that needs to be resealed to the shell. The windows had never been calked/sealed on top. I figured butyl tape, I found some of the good black butyl tape and thought I was good to go. Before pulling the windows it looks like they are using some type of foam gasket between the shell and frame. I really can't find a gasket that matches what I am seeing.
2nd: One window is cracked. It looks like it had been repaired before and they used plexiglass for the repair. Can you buy a real glass replacement for the Hehr radius window. I looked at the Hehr website but not much help. Plan B is to use lexan to replace the plexiglass. It's an exit escape window and the complete replacement window is over $300.

Thanks Eddie
Any auto glass place can cut a new piece of flat tempered glass from your pattern for a surprisingly low price.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here's my advice on the foam gasket, don't use it, use butyl tape. I bought two windows from Scamp to put in our Uhaul and they came with the foam stick-on gasket. I figured that they knew how to install windows so I stuck the gasket on the window flanges and put the windows in. Couldn't get them drawn up nice and tight to the trailer and they leaked. Had to take them out and reinstall with the butyl tape. Check out secure.onedayglass.com for custom cut glass. Edit after reading Floyd's post, my glass shop doesn't stock tempered glass and it seems to be expensive. He has told me he would have to order it, and this is a third generation glass shop that has been in business a long time. They do cut auto glass though
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Now I can get back to work.
Eddie
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Interesting, I thought auto glass except the windshield was tempered. I wasn't aware you could cut tempered glass. I have always thought tempering stressed the glass causing it to shatter if you tried to cut it? Tell me more. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I bought a piece of tempered glass approx 20" x 30" at our local glass mirror store Cost was under $40.00 . If I remember correctly they cut the glass to size then tempered it. They cannot cut tempered glass
Tinted tempered glass was a little bit more expensive
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
.....Check out secure.onedayglass.com for custom cut glass.........
Surprisingly inexpensive

https://secure.onedayglass.com/ordernew.php?step=2
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Over 20 years ago I had my local glass shop cut me two side windows and a windshield out of auto glass for a tractor cab I was making. He also cut a piece for a windshield for my '43 International truck, which is a military model with a flat windshield. I know the old auto glass was a sandwich type with a kind of thin plastic type stuff in it to keep it from shattering into little pieces. I don't know as if that is used anymore. I'll bet Tom can give better details on this.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Interesting, I though auto glass except the windshield was tempered. I wasn't aware you could cut tempered glass. I have always thought tempering stressed the glass causing it to shatter if you tried to cut it? Tell me more. Raz
I'm just guessing, but I suspect that they temper it after they custom cut it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Exactly. Cut first, bake afterwards. That's why a shrink rule has to be applied when cutting.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Over 20 years ago I had my local glass shop cut me two side windows and a windshield out of auto glass for a tractor cab I was making. He also cut a piece for a windshield for my '43 International truck, which is a military model with a flat windshield. I know the old auto glass was a sandwich type with a kind of thin plastic type stuff in it to keep it from shattering into little pieces. I don't know as if that is used anymore. I'll bet Tom can give better details on this.
There are two basic flavors of auto glass. Laminated glass which is used in windshields and tempered glass which is used in every other window. Laminated glass has the plastic in the middle, tempered glass is tough as nails and shatters into little cubes.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I bought a piece of tempered glass approx 20" x 30" at our local glass mirror store Cost was under $40.00 . If I remember correctly they cut the glass to size then tempered it. They cannot cut tempered glass
Tinted tempered glass was a little bit more expensive
Tempered while you wait! Can you get fries with that?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #13

I removed the frame, it had the 1/2" or so wide foam seal. I also removed the two pieces of broken glass from the frame. I think I will take the frame and glass to my local glass guy and let him deal with it. (If his quote is not too high.)
Eddie
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I had a piece of flat laminated glass cut for the door window in my Scamp. Figured if it was good enough for a windshield it was good enough for the door. Cost me <$20.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I had a piece of flat laminated glass cut for the door window in my Scamp. Figured if it was good enough for a windshield it was good enough for the door. Cost me <$20.
Tempered glass is much stronger than laminated. You can literally drop a piece of tempered glass on the floor without it breaking.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #16

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Tempered glass can be ordered from most glass companies. Sometimes it can be a little wavy and distort the view through the glass. Also there can be tong marks at the edges. They are usually covered by the gasket. Some tempering houses can do distortion free tempering. As I remember horizontal or vertical processes yield different results.
The laminated safety glass used in automobile windshields like Donna used is probably the fastest to get, (while you wait) and is distortion free. You may even have some tint choices. I have watched the guys at auto glass companies cut it using a regular glass cutting wheel and some flammable solvent which was lit to melt the plastic safety layer. The edge can then be sanded and polished.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Russ mentioned fast and distortion free. That's why I bought it. AND, the fact the glass doesn't fall to the ground it it gets shattered. Have you ever seen a windshield that's been punched.. like with someone's head or a rock hitting it? It pretty much stays in place. I figured if I'm out camping and it's raining and if the door glass gets hit... duck tape to the rescue. At least it won't leave a big ole hole letting in water.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I agree with Donna. Tempered may be stronger but it still gets broken on the road - I have lost hatch and side door windows to rock hits. I would rather have a cracked window in the trailer than a pile of rough glass pebbles all over the interior and a big hole letting the weather in where that glass should be.

I did replace a broken pane in one of our Boler's windows, at an auto glass shop; I didn't think to get laminated at the time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #19

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Just my two cents on onedayglass aka Peninsula Glass. I have done business with them twice, once on line and once at their shop. I was most pleased both times. Great people to do business with.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I had a side window fixed with laminate glass. I took it in and they did all the rest. They took it out of the frame, measured it, cut it, reinstalled it in the frame, all within an hour. $30 in Vegas where everything is inflated.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote