Hehr Window Help Needed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Escape uses Her windows and the rear one on a E19 or E21 is maybe 6'x2' so larger windows are available, he may have to adjust the window size opening...
Old 12-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #22

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic G View Post
Recently purchased my first Motorhome! It has a huge hole in the back where there should be a window! The previous owner said the frame was cracked and not worth saving, then he bought a huge piece of plexiglass and that was pretty much where that project ended. I saw a thread on here at one time about building a window frame but most people were in agreement that that would be a huge pain in the butt....however, I can't find this replacement window anywhere....and a custom window would cost about the same amount as I spent on the whole thing from what I've researched.

This is a 1989 Ford Lindy
Window Size Rough Opening: 72.75"W x 22.5"H
Original windows were Hehr

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated!
If this is a back window you may need an escape window. All RV's have escape windows in the rear area in case of a fire. A regular window will not open for emergencies. I own a fiberglass trailer and an RV so I have knowledge of both. If you have an escape window then you can get a fixed window or one that opens for the hole if you look hard. Many junk yards have old motorhomes. Call a junk yard and ask them to search parts for you. They can put it out online for you. Good luck. Rough size won't give you the proper thing. You must have an exact opening size.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
They have a PM letting them know but my guess is the title would pull him in because the subject is of interest to the OP.

A few years ago someone suggested a vintage camper supply for seals I needed, I'm pretty sure they had some Hehr windows and/or window parts listed. That was a few computers back and I don't find the link anyplace. Sigh, so much data, so easily organized, can be such a mess.

Mine are prop open windows not crank open so the Hehr window recollection is one of those things I think I saw but wasn't paying close attention to.
The company that has the repair parts for old windows. https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/

There is also another good company that sells vintage trailer gaskets for windows. https://www.vintagetrailergaskets.co...railer-gasketsThey do have gaskets for older Hehr windows along with other brands of older windows. This company is NOT associated with Vintage Trailer Supply. They will work with customers who can't find a gasket for their vintage trailer. My friend's son contacted them when he needed new gaskets for his Spartan trailer as they were not obtainable anywhere. This company worked with him and created exactly what he needed. Of course those gaskets are now part of the stock parts they offer. I will be stopping in to their location in California on my way to Arizona to get their assistance in finding the one gasket for my Campster windows that so far I have been unable to locate from any other source. Of course I will also talk to them about my door gasket as that original profile shape is also unobtainable. I have no idea what make of windows I have but they might recognize them when they see them and then I can add that to the forum documentation for the Trailswest Campster information.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #24

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
If this is a back window you may need an escape window. All RV's have escape windows in the rear area in case of a fire. A regular window will not open for emergencies. I own a fiberglass trailer and an RV so I have knowledge of both. If you have an escape window then you can get a fixed window or one that opens for the hole if you look hard. Many junk yards have old motorhomes. Call a junk yard and ask them to search parts for you. They can put it out online for you. Good luck. Rough size won't give you the proper thing. You must have an exact opening size.
You stated that "A regular window will not open for emergencies". That is not a true statement in all instances.

A trailer only needs an additional special escape window if the regular window openings can not be opened far enough to meet the minimum size for egress. Even newer trailers that have winddows that meet the dimension code for minimum window opening egress size do not need a special model of escape window. But nowadays newer trailer windows that do meet that minimum for egress might have those special red handles on them to identify them as "escape" windows. I suppose that one could paint the handles red on older vintage windows that meet the code for egress and add a sticker on the glass saying it is an escape window.

From the Pelland company website, they sell RV windows and window parts. Their information regarding clear egress window inside dimension requirements. They state it has a minimum opening of 17"H x 24"W . My vintage 1971 Trailswest Campster sliding window openings when slid open, is indeed 17" high but just a little bit shy of the 24" width due the the overlap of the two panes of glass. It will do just fine without having to upgrade or replace it and I even have two of them that size! Of course my door is in the rear and the windows are on the sides in the front half. But it is only 10' long. But if the door jammed and would not open I could get out of the sliding windows if I needed to.

On older RVs with sliding windows there may well be a window that qualifies as being an egress window. Just get out the tape measure and check the size of the opening.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #25

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I could climb out of the sliding back window on my Boler. I'm not sure I could get through it any other way besides head first. I suppose going head first out of the window would be preferable to burning, it just wouldn't be very dignified!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #26

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I could climb out of the sliding back window on my Boler. I'm not sure I could get through it any other way besides head first. I suppose going head first out of the window would be preferable to burning, it just wouldn't be very dignified!
especially if the fire happens at night and you sleep in the raw
Old 12-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #27

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
especially if the fire happens at night and you sleep in the raw
That's why you use the blanket on the bed to put over the edge of the window frame then after you're out you wrap up in it. Protects your body and doesn't hurt so much going out. Learned this in a fire safety class.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #28

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You stated that "A regular window will not open for emergencies". That is not a true statement in all instances.

A trailer only needs an additional special escape window if the regular window openings can not be opened far enough to meet the minimum size for egress. Even newer trailers that have winddows that meet the dimension code for minimum window opening egress size do not need a special model of escape window. But nowadays newer trailer windows that do meet that minimum for egress might have those special red handles on them to identify them as "escape" windows. I suppose that one could paint the handles red on older vintage windows that meet the code for egress and add a sticker on the glass saying it is an escape window.

From the Pelland company website, they sell RV windows and window parts. Their information regarding clear egress window inside dimension requirements. They state it has a minimum opening of 17"H x 24"W . My vintage 1971 Trailswest Campster sliding window openings when slid open, is indeed 17" high but just a little bit shy of the 24" width due the the overlap of the two panes of glass. It will do just fine without having to upgrade or replace it and I even have two of them that size! Of course my door is in the rear and the windows are on the sides in the front half. But it is only 10' long. But if the door jammed and would not open I could get out of the sliding windows if I needed to.

On older RVs with sliding windows there may well be a window that qualifies as being an egress window. Just get out the tape measure and check the size of the opening.
Most regular windows don't open big enough for an escape window. Our regular windows in the Casita won't but one has a handle to open the entire window set which consists of one window that opens and the screen. The back window might be big enough to get out in an emergency.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I suspect Nic is long gone, he hasn't logged in since the day after his original post.

But for everyone else's interest, this company will make you any size RV window:
https://www.motionwindows.com/rv-windows/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #30

Name: Catherine
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
Hi all,
I know this is an old post, but the Hehr window came up in my search, and I wanted to make a comment in the event someone new to this forum reads this thread.

Let me first say: I have a molded fiberglass trailer, Compact Jr 1971

And I'd like to point out, those of us who have vintage trailers have a VERY difficult time getting parts that fit -- so we search EVERYWHERE. As an example, I'm looking for a large window frame that is similar to what the original poster was looking for. My frames are aluminum and are square cornered. The picture window Hehr used in the back of the Airstream during the same time period seems the same size and materials. I'd rather have a sliding window, but.... So, I've been looking for a used one, in short of fabricating "something" cost efficient.

In summary, I think it's important for those reading our request for help to be kind, and to NOT JUMPT TO CONCLUSIONS. i.e., the 1st reply that the original poster "did not take the time" to i.d. the forum here. On the contrary, he was probably at his wits end after spending countless hours trying to solve his issue.

As a molded fiberglass vintage trailer owner, I have a similar issue and looking for a similar product. And the references given here were useful. Thank you.

Have a nice day and keep smiling!
Compact Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote