Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2003, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Help

TIRES! I was on my way out the door the Canadian Tire (Trailer tires, tubes, rims etc. on 15% off this week)

I stopped to take the hub caps off and find out the bolt pattern, tire sizes etc., and discovered that my trailer has 2 DIFFERENT sized tires. A 4" sidewall on the passenger side, and a 5" sidewall on the driver's side! Is that normal?! The rims were both 14" (measured from the outside), 5-bolt pattern.

Now I don't know what size to get even? Anyone have any suggestions?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:00 PM   #2

tires

ST205/R75 x 14 :)

ST is the designation for trailer tire. There's a lot of information available on the differences in the design and manufacture of trailer tires vs. passenger tires. If yur choices are limited, whatever rolls, works. But if ya have a choice, STs are made specifically for trailers.

* That's what's on my16' Casita your 13' Boler may carry a 175 or 185?!

Old 06-25-2003, 07:57 AM   #3

Lainey >>A 4" sidewall on the passenger side, and a 5" sidewall on the driver's side<<
So the 5 inch side would be 2 inches taller? I don't think that can be a factory requirement. Probably just got whatever kind of tire was lying around- literally. or at least that's how my dad would do it.
I think when you get the same size tire on both sides, it will pull better. Don knows what he's talking about on those ST's, but If you want to know more about the ST trailer tire, you could try a search. we have some big discussions about trailer tires.

Old 06-25-2003, 12:08 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks PCD and Jana :)

Yes - it should be sitting 2" higher on one side (but I can't notice it that much)

I will definately go with ST tires, although I'm still undecided on the proper size. I was thinking of possibly picking up new rims too (I'll need at least one for a spare) Seems that the 13" rims are more common than the 14" ones.

A store here says they have a large selection of good used tires for $25-35, but if they were so good why are they not in use, if you know what I mean.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Orginally posted by Lainey
I will definately go with ST tires, although I'm still undecided on the proper size. I was thinking of possibly picking up new rims too (I'll need at least one for a spare) Seems that the 13" rims are more common than the 14" ones.

A store here says they have a large selection of good used tires for $25-35, but if they were so good why are they not in use, if you know what I mean.
:lol Good used :lol I agree, if they are so good, let them use them, or my Dad can, he likes those kind. not me, no thanks. which size tire is the easiest to get when out on the road. that should be considered. I don't know the answer, I'm better at creating questions.

Old 06-26-2003, 06:34 AM   #6

Hi, Lainey

If you upgrade your wheel/tire size, there's really no compelling reason to purchase more than two new wheels and tires. Just keep the best one of your old ones and use that for the spare. You can always go 50 or 100 miles on that ''undersized'' spare, before you get your road tire repaired. Chances are, that spare will never hit the pavement again-----unless your other tires are Carlisles. ;) ;) ;)
And everyone, don't forget to rotate your tires at least once a season!

Old 06-26-2003, 11:01 AM   #7

<<don't forget to rotate your tires at least once a season!>>

My tires rotate every time I use the trailer. They rotate when I pull the camper up by the door to load it. They rotate when I take it out for a test run. They rotate like crazy out on the highway. I'll rotate them several hundred thousand times this year on my way to Texas and Colorado. Am I rotating them enough?:wak

Old 06-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #8

Paul, your . . . well, being silly. :thumb Your talking rolling not the same thing as rotate. :lol

Old 06-27-2003, 11:37 AM   #9

Ah!... my mistake...