Help! Damage during delivery :( Ideas for repair in DMV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1
Washington, D.C.
Exclamation Help! Damage during delivery :( Ideas for repair in DMV?

Hello, I recently took delivery of a new 13 ft fiberglass trailer (yay!). Unfortunately, there was a problem taking it off the truck and there was some damage done when it fell. I believe it was the frame that struck the ground, so the damage to the fiberglass does not appear severe, at least to my unknowledgeable eye. I have noticed a few issues with the frame, and pieces attached to the frame.

The manufacturer has agreed to get it fixed and is looking for a proper repair shop now, but wanted to reach out to see if anyone has any recommendations. Even if I don't get the repairs done there (I don't get to choose), I may want to have a third party do an inspection after the initial work is done to ensure that everything has been addressed.

SO: anyone have a place to recommend to repair the frame and/or the gelcoat and fiberglass? I am in the DC metro area, so in Maryland or Virginia within an hour's drive of DC would be ideal.

Also, for those that are wondering what type of trailer, I am trying to give them the opportunity to make this right before blasting them, but rest assured that I will post all over the internet if they don't.

Thanks for any suggestions or guidance you can provide!
Emily in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
If the manufacturer is not giving YOU the choice of where to have the trailer repaired, I would demand a FULL refund and have the trailer shipped back to the manufacturer.

EDIT: Actually skip the first part. I would demand a FULL refund and have the trailer shipped back to the manufacturer.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why not DEMAND that they give you a FULL refund and FIX the trailer at the shop of your choice?
Old 08-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Trailer manufacturer should file a claim with the shipping company, and you should stay out of it entirely.

Realize once it is repaired, it is subject to diminished value. Assuming you paid for a brand new trailer, and expected to get one in that condition.

I would not accept the delivery.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Wow! This is so sad. First, you wait for your trailer to be built with excitement and anticipation, then have to deal with substantial frustration. I'm sorry you have to face this.

Was the trailer delivered by the manufacturer, or a seperate contracted shipper?

I would be very reluctant to accept this unit and insist on a replacemment, As a distant second choice, I would maybe accept returning the trailer to the factory for repair and compensation for loss of use.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 17' Casita
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily in DC View Post

Also, for those that are wondering what type of trailer,

Thanks for any suggestions or guidance you can provide!

Must be a Scamp. They are the only one selling new 13' these days.
New Orleans John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans John View Post
Must be a Scamp. They are the only one selling new 13' these days.
Happier Camper is the other biggie. They're cranking out a pretty steady stream of 13' HC1s. There's also Outback, Armadillo, Relic, Weiscraft, and Gobe. Not sure all of them are still actively making trailers, they are small volume operations by comparison, and I'm not sure any of them even offer delivery through the factory.

Scamp traditionally delivered by towing using contracted drivers, not on a trailer, but that might be changing along with many other things at Eveland's. I certainly wouldn't jump to conclusions.

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me if you paid the manufacturer for delivery, the manufacturer should be responsible for the remedy. Depending on the severity of the damage that might involve repair or replacement. It could get complicated if there is some fine print in the contract that limits the manufacturer's liability for damage in transit.

It also seems to me you might need to get separate assessments of the frame and shell from different shops. A marine fiberglass repair shop could assess the fiberglass damage. A Google search turned up quite a few in the metro DC area. A Corvette repair shop is another possibility. The frame... not sure... an axle/suspension shop, maybe? I'd want the frame alignment checked carefully to make sure it's not tweaked.

So sorry you're going though this. It's not at all the happy beginning everyone expects. The manufacturer is in a bad place as well, because they don't have a replacement sitting around to offer. All production is committed well into the future. Best wishes in getting a satisfactory resolution.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Call a boat repair place. They work with fiberglass.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
I wonder if it was the same delivery service as this Happier Camper owner had?
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...elp-95897.html

Personally I wouldn't accept a new unit that was dropped off the delivery trailer & has possible frame damage. Depending on how it gets repaired you may face a big hit when you go to sell it. It may be time to talk to your lawyer.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
OP mentioned interest in a HC1 in an earlier post. So probably Happier Camper. Situation has to be a nightmare.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #11

Name: Emily
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1
Washington, D.C.
Thanks everyone for your perspectives. I think because I waiting so long for this trailer, and SO just wanted to get out there with it, I trying to will away fears about long-term, unseen and unaddressed damage. But good points and will take them to the manufacturer. Accidents happen, yes, but that is why the truck company has insurance--I should not be the one taking a hit. Will keep you updated--here's to hoping with good news (or as good as the news can be, at this point).
Emily in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:26 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily in DC View Post
Thanks everyone for your perspectives. I think because I waiting so long for this trailer, and SO just wanted to get out there with it, I trying to will away fears about long-term, unseen and unaddressed damage. But good points and will take them to the manufacturer. Accidents happen, yes, but that is why the truck company has insurance--I should not be the one taking a hit. Will keep you updated--here's to hoping with good news (or as good as the news can be, at this point).
Nor should you have to wait an extended period for a replacement if you go that route. Even if delivered by a trucking company utilized by the manufacturer, IMO they have a responsibility to deliver the “brand new” trailer for which you paid to you as close as possible to their promised delivery date unless supply line shortages (like those for computer chips affecting the auto manufacturers) are the cause.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
The cracked egg.

Do you buy eggs in the store when the shell is cracked, I think not.

This is no different.

Were you there when it happened?

What a tragedy to see your Investment take a "hit" before you get to take possession of it.

Only except a complete replacement not a repair.

They can sell it again when they repair it.

You bought a new trailer and that is what you should get nothing less.

You will never be happy with it repaired as the repair will always be obvious to you and to others.

When you sell it it will be a repaired unit not an unmolested trailer.

None of the problem was caused by you only by the carrier and the manufacture.

Settle for nothing less than a new trailer and expedited to you.

You paid for a damage free delivery and you get a broken egg that has started the process of diminished value.

I'll bet delivery wasn't cheap or free.

So sorry that your dream was destroyed "having a new egg" by careless actions of a carrier.

The gel coat can NOT be matched...... Gel coat is coded and the next batch will be a different color or they wouldn't give them a batch control number. It may look "ok" but if that is what they say is a normal repair, did you buy a repaired unit.

Did you have a choice between a undamaged united and a repaired unit.

What was the exact cause of the damage?

You indicated also frame damage, It may be bent that you can't see or measure. It may be twisted and also the impact or moving it to free it caused other unseen damage that will haunt you later. It may not track straight.

Sorry for the rant but you didn't need to deal with all of this.

The carrier is responsible as it was damaged while in their possession but the manufacture should step-up to resolve with a new unit.

This is just my .02 and it is worth what you paid for it.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote