Help...Door won't open! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1972 13' Boler
Missouri
Registry
Help...Door won't open!

HELP!!! Just bought a 72 Boler 13. Parked it in the garage and all was fine, went to clean it up and I can NOT get the door to open. PO said never had that issue and that the key works. Key will turn, but door will not open. Pretty good door sag but seals well. My daughter may have been playing in there and locked it from the inside and then shut the door...would that do it? Worried I'll make things worse if I have to remove the hinges, but that is my only option at this point unless someone has a suggestion.

On a side note, any Boler owners near Springfield/Branson, MO?

Thanks!! Greg
gacole2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I don't know what to tell you, mine doesn't lock period.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #3

Missouri
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Well, I took the hinges off and sure enough, it was locked from the inside (note to self). However, now that I've got it put back together it will not open all the way and is very rough. Is there supposed to be a "bend" in those bolts? Suggestions to get it opening smoother? Thanks- Greg
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Mine locks fine from the outside but has nothing going as far as locking from the inside. Surely it must have at some point. Once we get this hinge fiasco sorted out, that may be the next puzzle to focus in on.
sara maccalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacole2000 View Post
Well, I took the hinges off and sure enough, it was locked from the inside (note to self). However, now that I've got it put back together it will not open all the way and is very rough. Is there supposed to be a "bend" in those bolts? Suggestions to get it opening smoother? Thanks- Greg
Door sag is not an uncommon problem with our eggs. After I bought mine one of my hinges broke. I took the opportunity to remove both hinges, fill the screw holes with fiberglass and re-drill and reposition the door when I installed the new hinges.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Don't think you'd want a bend in the bolt! You may have seen these at Scamp, but they're a cheap replacement Door Hinge Repair Kit (Brass Ball, Spring, Nut & Bolt)

Is your 1972 Boler, a Boler American, by chance?
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Is your 1972 Boler, a Boler American, by chance?
Just the question that was on my mind.
sara maccalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi: gacole... You can order new door hinge pins, brass balls, tension springs and nuts from the parts store at Scamp trailers www.scamptrailers.com . That's where I got mine!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #9

Missouri
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: gacole... You can order new door hinge pins, brass balls, tension springs and nuts from the parts store at Scamp trailers www.scamptrailers.com . That's where I got mine!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Ordered those last night and I'm sure it will help. I've figured out what my door issue is (besides my daughter locking it from inside and closing the door). The lower hinge is tilted out towards the front of the trailer which makes the top left side of the door sag. It appears that the tops have been reinforced and the lowers have had some work done to them, but not properly. I'm think of getting some small stainless plates to sandwich the fiberglass and get the hinge straighten up and realign the holes...has anyone else tried this?