Help! Lock broke on Campster back door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a regular entry lock on the back door of my Campster. It won't open. I took off the back knob and can turn everything with a screwdriver; lock still won't open. (It opened with difficulty yesterday at Cabela's when I loaded in two chairs and that was apparently its death knoll.)

Back sliding door window is locked.

Side windows have screens; could cut one but someone would have to be strong enough to get to the lock (which means moving a bunch of stuff stored in the way) and still small enough to go through the window. Not likely.

Pop top is locked down. (And has intact canvas.)

Any suggestions short of a locksmith? I'm going to google it but thought maybe one of you has had a similar problem. It's a push button lock, probably a Kwikset, keyed outside.

If you have any ideas, please email me: barbaram (at) csufresno.edu as I'm not on the web but can read email on my cell phone.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Just a thought.....
Try placing two putty knives in the crack and then wedge them apart with a wide screwdriver. It may be enough to pop the door open without damaging the door or the side.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Push (or pull) the door like you are trying to close it further, then try to pop the latch.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #4

Registry
There isn't really a crack. The door overlaps the frame. Here are a couple of pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lockoutside.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	20428

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lockcenter.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	20427
Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984

Attachment 20428

To the left of the assembly I can see a bolt head. If you remove these would the whole door and frame come off?

In the centre of your latch there is a small piece, at the end of the slot, holding the centre tube section in place. If you depress this will it let the centre push into the trailer and maybe release the latchbar?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Attachment 20428

To the left of the assembly I can see a bolt head. If you remove these would the whole door and frame come off?

In the centre of your latch there is a small piece, at the end of the slot, holding the centre tube section in place. If you depress this will it let the centre push into the trailer and maybe release the latchbar?
To the second, no. To the first, yes, and I didn't have to remove the whole frame, just loosen the left side. It will now need resealing but the lock is gone (no latch at all until I replace it.)

Bobbie
Old 05-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
If your Campster is built about the same way our Scamp and Surfside are, your door opens outward and the hinges are outside, too. If that's the case you could try pulling the hinge pins and pull the door off that way.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #8

Registry
The hinges were sealed (both ends capped.) That was my first idea.

I'm inclined to put just a door knob that won't lock on it now, and then put a keyed latch outside, and a lock inside.

Tags
campster