Help me bring someone from the dark side - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Help me bring someone from the dark side

We have a 13' Scamp. We love it. We think fiberglass is the only way to go. My brother-in-law, mostly a terrific guy, is shopping for a trailer. I want to show him what right-thinking people do.

Would anyone in our area (Hatboro, PA, suburban Phila.) be willing to show him their 16 or 17' fiberglass trailer. Just show it to him, not sell it!

He's basically a nice guy, well mannered, affable, fairly articulate but has an odd sense of what a trailer should be.

You can contact me directly: sidber7(at)yahoo(dot)com or 301X395X5656

Thanks
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Gotta say, if your B-I-L is looking for a Toybox with 2 slides you might have a difficult time convincing him to go with any FGRV. LOLOLOL

My good friend across the street has a towable toybox so big than my Hunter an be parked inside it's garage area. Other than that, he's a great guy, an excellent neighbor and throws great BBQ's often.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm recalling a line from Agatha Christie's Murder at the Vicarage. Spinster detective Jane Marple, asked to characterize the energetic but overbearing Inspector Slack, replies, "He's rather like the girl at the boot shop who wants to sell you black patent leather because she has it in your size, and pays no attention to the fact that you asked for brown calf."

Best to find out what your brother-in-law really wants first. If there is a molded fiberglass option that fits, then offer to introduce him to our world. But if he wants a queen walk-around bed, a dry bath, twin Lazy Boys and a 42" flat screen, better let it go. Different strokes…
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hey... What's the problem??? If I take out the hot tub and replace it with 2 lazy Boy recliners all of that will fit in my Hunter... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

Jon,

I think I have a "teachable moment". His stick-built has a nasty, moldy floor that must be replaced. It's so bad that he is considering donating it. The wet floor resulted from leak(s) from the roof traveling to the floor through the walls. A leak-free trailer might be very appealing!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
...A leak-free trailer might be very appealing!
If he is open, then I would absolutely broach the idea. If you don't get a local offer to demo from this forum, you could also contact one of the manufacturers. They may have a local owner willing to demo for a prospective buyer.

Be careful you don't over-sell: molded fiberglass trailers are not leak free. They can leak from windows, doors, vents, hatches, and, in some cases, rivets. And some do end up with nasty, moldy, rotten floors.

However: (1) lack of seams means the most troublesome source of leaks is eliminated, (2) no wood frame (and, in some cases, no wood cabinetry, either) means there is less damage to be done and far slower to reach the point of no return, and (3) strong resale value is an indicator of the general durability and longevity of molded fiberglass.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I wouldn't try to convert him. People want what they want. However, you can educate or inform them - particularly about a fiberglass trailer's huge advantage in terms of durability and resale value. If he goes sticky after that, good on him.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Would anyone in our area (Hatboro, PA, suburban Phila.) be willing to show him their 16 or 17' fiberglass trailer. Just show it to him, not sell it!
While I don't have anything to add to that already posted, I am curious why your bio at left says "Florida" but you are in PA?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #9

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Quote:
We have a 13' Scamp. We love it. We think fiberglass is the only way to go. My brother-in-law, mostly a terrific guy, is shopping for a trailer. I want to show him what right-thinking people do.

He's basically a nice guy, well mannered, affable, fairly articulate but has an odd sense of what a trailer should be.

You can contact me directly: sidber7(at)yahoo(dot)com or 301X395X5656

Thanks
I have a 2013 16' Scamp with a side bath, layout # 4. I live in Reinholds Pa. I believe I am about an hour west of you. If you want to see my camper let me know. I have made a few changes to both the outside and inside. I like showing it off.
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have your BIL spend some time shopping online for used trailers. Compare prices when new to now used prices for both stick built and all molded towables. That alone should tell him which is the better value. In a lot of cases a 15 year old stick built is a give away trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #11

1. Thanks to everyone who responded. Your enthusiasm is part of what turned by brother-in-law's head.

2. My brother-in-law was able to look at a few fiberglass trailers and has been won over. I did little more than expose him to the truth and a better way of life. He has ordered a new Casita 17.

3. My permanent home is in Florida. We have maintained a home in suburban Philadelphia to visit friends & family there.

Thanks again. You folks are the best.