Help me insulate my icebox, Campster/Compact type. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
On that crack if it is in plastic or metal consider JB Weld epoxy. And a little white touch up paint. Caulk will look ok and seal but JB Weld will add strength and seal. Important to clean and scuff the area to be "welded"

The drain hose problem is not clear to me. Are you worried that you won't be able to replace it without it leaking? Or might break off the attachment point?

Seems like the other posts I have read on adding insulation all removed the ice box, and had a significant increase in how long the ice lasted after adding it.

BTW - I have the travler fridge that looks a lot like the one in your picture.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Rick, I considered this, the denim insulation (which has no glass) comes in a hot-water tank wrap, too.

Roger, yes, I'm worried the drain hose will break or I'll have to replace the whole thing and that could be a big hassle. My rule of thumb in mods and repairs that I'm not sure I can complete is not to do anything that, if I stopped in the middle. would render something unusable. Having no drain hose on the icebox would render it unusable.

I do still plan to get more insulation up on top of and around the icebox but as it involves removing the microwave I haven't tackled it yet. I want to change the drawer over the microwave to a slider or install a sliding basket into it at the same time and haven't found one to fit. I probably won't camp again until October, though, so I may get on it in September.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bobbie, I know we dont have the same trailer but for whats it worth I using the foil wrap on my fridge last week & like you I did not want to have to pull the whole fridge out to do it as most here have done. I may end up pulling it out one of these days to do it right but it seems that what I did do has helped. I cut the wrap to the depth of the fridge. I had full access to one side of the fridge and the bottom of it through cabinets and Scamp was nice enough to have left an opening at the top edges of the fridge its full depth so I was able to feed the wrap up into and over the top of the fridge to the other side. Through a small opening on the other side of the fridge inside a rear hatch as well as one at the very rear I was able to pull the foil down the other side of the fridge to the bottom of the fridge Scamp had put little pieces of fiberglass batting in between the fridge and the one side wall I did not have clear access to but not much so it was full of air pockets so I used a piece of wire with a hook on it to fish it out making the area clear for the foil to feed though. I then used 3m adhesive spay to secure the foil to the fridge where ever I could. I am aware its NOT PERFECT by many people standards as it should be air tight secured to the fridge all the way around but not possible to do without pulling the fridge out. I did camp in weather in the high 90's with no shade for 4 days last week & the fridge worked better than it ever has. So although not a perfect it really did help. Adding foil wrap to the inside lid of your portable cooler may help with that as well. YMMV
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #24

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Rick, I considered this, the denim insulation (which has no glass) comes in a hot-water tank wrap, too.

Roger, yes, I'm worried the drain hose will break or I'll have to replace the whole thing and that could be a big hassle. My rule of thumb in mods and repairs that I'm not sure I can complete is not to do anything that, if I stopped in the middle. would render something unusable. Having no drain hose on the icebox would render it unusable.

..... I probably won't camp again until October, though, so I may get on it in September.
Always good to bear in mind what if things break or go a little "sideways". Sometimes it is best to wait until on has the time to deal with anything unexpected.

I could totally understand if you wanted to stay with the original but figure I would mention the Scamp online store sells an icebox for $105 Ice Box no dimensions so you would have to call them to see if it would be a possible replacement or "just in case" option. And you might even be able to swap the door panels. Or paint to match existing.

On the drain line you might use electrical tape to attach a wire to the outside end of hose so that as you remove fridge and pull drain hose through you would be pulling a wire through behind it. Gives you a way to re-pull new hose if required. Put wire inside hose and wrap hose and wire with electrical tape, wire should follow pretty well.

Hopefully they did not use tight clamps to hold the hose. Might be able to tell by shaking the drain end of the hose and listening for sound of flopping hose.

Ahh yes the joy of having something to look forward to next month Story of my life pretty much.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #25

Registry
I think even a piece of foil insulation fished up and over will help and I'll do that when I pull the microwave and do the drawer. It is harder to be motivated when no hot weather remains, though! The tip on the drain line is good and if I pull the icebox I'll do that.

I've thought of replacing the icebox but havent seen anything suggesting modern RV iceboxes are any better insulated than the old ones. (Modern marine ones are- but at a premium cost.)
Old 08-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #26

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I think even a piece of foil insulation fished up and over will help and I'll do that when I pull the microwave and do the drawer. It is harder to be motivated when no hot weather remains, though! The tip on the drain line is good and if I pull the icebox I'll do that.

I've thought of replacing the icebox but havent seen anything suggesting modern RV iceboxes are any better insulated than the old ones. (Modern marine ones are- but at a premium cost.)
I don't know if modern one is any better but if something went badly wrong with pulling ice box would be reassuring to know where one could get a replacement.

I just figured that removal would give you the best access to install the most effective insulation in the limited space so you might end up doing a removal at some point.

Almost Sept. so I hear you on the how much of my free time do I want to dump into this right now.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #27

Registry
Well, if I pull it and can't replace it, I can always put in a fridge. I might do that, anyway, now that I have a cooler for when I can't use electric. Fridge is very tempting since loading up the icebox is just one more chore when getting ready to go somewhere.

Tags
campster