Help need easy Fridge Option for Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Help need easy Fridge Option for Scamp!

Our icebox door just fell off and we removed it. Not sure what to put in its place, a fridge would be nice but have very limited budget. Whats the cheapest fridge install we can do? If you get a dorm fridge do you just need to plug it into the plug we have behind it? How do you secure it down? Any help would be appreciated.
zsturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
WalMart has a simple resistance fridge which fits nice and is easily secured for under a $100.
also Colman has a 12V/110V cooler which can be stood upright and used as a fridge...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0053.JPG   DSCF0047.JPG  

May 2009 017.jpg  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A dorm fridge will only run when you are plugged into shore power. It won't run while you are traveling, and it won't work if you camp without hookups. Will that work for you?

If not, the cheapest solution for short trips without power is an old-fashioned ice chest. If you've been using the icebox, you are used to using ice, and a good quality chest from Walmart will outperform the factory icebox. (We use our ice box for dry storage and a 70 qt. Coleman Xtreme for cold storage. 20# of cubes for $2 at Costco lasts 3-4 days unless its really hot.)

Any kind of actual fridge that can be used from propane or battery without an electric hookup is expensive.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
you might look for an RV salvage yard near you for a direct replacement.
Also can you post a photo? maybe yours can be fixed
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:42 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Cheapest option assuming you don't have shore power is a good cooler with ice. RV fridges are expensive, dorm fridges are worthless for my camping as I rarely if ever have shore power.

Now if you always camp with shore power, then a dorm fridge can be purchased for LESS than a good Yeti knock off cooler. I've got a "Lifetime" 55 qt cooler I picked up at Walmart, $107. Very similar to a Yeti except for the price.... Meanwhile, dorm fridges can be bought at Walmart for around $75 and up, depending on size.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:56 AM   #6

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
After 6 travel trailers and motorhomes, I can tell you that there is nothing, but nothing, cheap in the RV world. If your fridge door fell off, the cheapest option would be to reattach it, with proper guidance from a friend who knows their way around RVs. You have to learn how to work on your RV on your own Before starting a project, check RV blogs and use Youtube. You will find out all kinds of guidance there. Stay far away from RV dealer shops. When searching for RV appliances, do a lot of internet searching, watching reviews and shipping methods. There are some internet RV parts dealers who are much, much, cheaper that the big RV parts dealers. And remember, RV stores that require membership to get you a good deal are usually going to steal your membership money if you only buy one or two items from them. Their prices are ofter higher that local RV stores.

Having rambled on with my rant, Dometic does sell parts for their fridges. If the fridge was still working, fix the part that broke. That is the cheapest way out of it. Don't pull the unit out and replace it - just fix it! Learn to do this stuff before you get old and crippled up with arthritis like me. I just sunk over 4000 bucks into my new 2006 Scamp 19 making it do the things I want it to do. You figure that over half of that was labor. I finally found a RV mobile mechanic I trust that will do things the way I want them. But I listen to his advice as he is much more knowledgeable about the mechanical and electrical end of things!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:40 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The propane RV fridge I got at the local Pick n Pull was $25 Cdn.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:44 AM   #8

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The propane RV fridge I got at the local Pick n Pull was $25 Cdn.
What's a Pick n Pull? You mean a junk yard?
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:06 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
What's a Pick n Pull? You mean a junk yard?
RV recycler might be the preferred term… but yes, pretty much. Since RV fridges can last 2-3 decades, often longer than the flimsy stick boxes they came in, it’s a viable option. The size used in many 13’ers is also common in smaller tent trailers.

If the OP originally had an icebox, though, it will take some work to install a 3-way fridge, including cutting two good-sized holes in the shell.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #10

Name: Max
Trailer: shopping
California
RV fridges do they work well?

I'm looking at purchasing a 13 foot scamp. I read online that the RV refrigerators in those is nothing more than a box to keep drinks cool. That it really doesn't work very well as far as a fridge. Anyone have experience with this? Could I replace it with a dorm refrigerator?
maxwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #11

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe Plan B
PHOENIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwolfman View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a 13 foot scamp. I read online that the RV refrigerators in those is nothing more than a box to keep drinks cool. That it really doesn't work very well as far as a fridge. Anyone have experience with this? Could I replace it with a dorm refrigerator?
Not sure if understand what you're asking but in trying to tie it to the original post. There are two kinds of cooling mechanisms: powered fridge (cooled by electricity (AC or DC) or gas) and an "ice box" (cooled by ice).

But in both cases you can get two kinds of styles: upright/vertical (like a dorm fridge or the ice box that came with my 1970 Trails West Campster) or horizontal like a traditional ice chest. The horizontal will always 'hold' the cool better because it settles and when you open the door in an upright fridge or ice box the cold air literally falls out.

In my limited experience, most powered fridges keep things pretty cool, including meats & cheese. It's the ice boxes that are all over the place depending on configuration and insulation.

In my case, I added solar and batteries and put in a regular dorm fridge b/c I'm usually camping in the sun (I live in Arizona) and my two gel batteries can keep the fridge running overnight.
2019 Subaru Outback ~ Harold
JoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
…In my case, I added solar and batteries and put in a regular dorm fridge b/c I'm usually camping in the sun (I live in Arizona) and my two gel batteries can keep the fridge running overnight.
Using an inverter? I’ve honestly never heard of anyone running a 110V fridge off-grid using battery power through an inverter before, though theoretically it is possible given sufficient recharging capability.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:24 PM   #13

Name: Max
Trailer: shopping
California
Did you find you could adequetly power a dorm fridge off solar? what did that require? equipment wise.
maxwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:00 PM   #14

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
After 6 travel trailers and motorhomes, I can tell you that there is nothing, but nothing, cheap in the RV world. If your fridge door fell off, the cheapest option would be to reattach it, with proper guidance from a friend who knows their way around RVs. You have to learn how to work on your RV on your own Before starting a project, check RV blogs and use Youtube. You will find out all kinds of guidance there. Stay far away from RV dealer shops. When searching for RV appliances, do a lot of internet searching, watching reviews and shipping methods. There are some internet RV parts dealers who are much, much, cheaper that the big RV parts dealers. And remember, RV stores that require membership to get you a good deal are usually going to steal your membership money if you only buy one or two items from them. Their prices are ofter higher that local RV stores.

Having rambled on with my rant, Dometic does sell parts for their fridges. If the fridge was still working, fix the part that broke. That is the cheapest way out of it. Don't pull the unit out and replace it - just fix it! Learn to do this stuff before you get old and crippled up with arthritis like me. I just sunk over 4000 bucks into my new 2006 Scamp 19 making it do the things I want it to do. You figure that over half of that was labor. I finally found a RV mobile mechanic I trust that will do things the way I want them. But I listen to his advice as he is much more knowledgeable about the mechanical and electrical end of things!
Please reread the original post. The door of his icebox fell off and he simply asked about replacing it with a refrigerator.
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:28 AM   #15
JPM

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
Alberta
My 1972 Boler 1300 has an ice box as well that I do use but pretty much for drinks - not perishables. I just bought a 30 quart Bouge RV compressor fridge/freezer for our recent trip from Calgary to Whitehorse. It lived in the back of my tow vehicle plugged into the 12 volt plug back there (our trailer doesn't have any battery power except a 6 volt flashlight battery I use for the cabinet end lights). It worked really well. They are extremely thrifty on power consumption - I only hooked up my 75 watt solar panel once when when we camped at the same site for 2 days (and I don't think I really needed to). Other wise the SUV started right up each morning no problem and the battery would be fully charged after a few hours on the road.
Might be an option for you??
Cheers
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #16

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
We used a dorm fridge in our pop-up for several years. Ran on 110 from an inverter in the car while driving. Frozen "Blue Ice" in the freezer kept things cold for a while when without power. A tray with a drain held ice when off grid for longer stays. Small absorption fridge in our '06 Scamp still working well.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
My 1972 Boler 1300 has an ice box as well that I do use but pretty much for drinks - not perishables. I just bought a 30 quart Bouge RV compressor fridge/freezer for our recent trip from Calgary to Whitehorse. It lived in the back of my tow vehicle plugged into the 12 volt plug back there (our trailer doesn't have any battery power except a 6 volt flashlight battery I use for the cabinet end lights). It worked really well. They are extremely thrifty on power consumption - I only hooked up my 75 watt solar panel once when when we camped at the same site for 2 days (and I don't think I really needed to). Other wise the SUV started right up each morning no problem and the battery would be fully charged after a few hours on the road.
Might be an option for you??
Cheers
Sounds interesting, do you have a link or more information? thanks Jeff
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminnesota View Post
Sounds interesting, do you have a link or more information? thanks Jeff
Google knows. You will get different results from your US IP address.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 10.59.19 AM.jpg  
Old 09-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #19
JPM

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
Alberta
https://www.amazon.ca/BougeRV-Portab...0956209&sr=8-1

Cheers
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #20

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe Plan B
PHOENIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Using an inverter? I’ve honestly never heard of anyone running a 110V fridge off-grid using battery power through an inverter before, though theoretically it is possible given sufficient recharging capability.
To Jon, Max, et al:
Yes, inverter. I spent the money on a Renogy system from Home Depot.
I have three 100w panels that fit perfectly side by side across the front of my Campster (over the dining area) and don't interfere with my pop top.

Plus:
30A controller
Two 100Ah gel batteries
One 1000w pure sin inverter
Runs my fridge overnight no problem. Charges by noon, I probably could have done with 200w of panels total.

One of these days soon, I'll do a post on this on my page so I'm not hijacking another thread.
2019 Subaru Outback ~ Harold
JoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, scamp