Help need to find a replacement for bellyband. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

Name: roy
Trailer: Casita 16', Sunrader 18'
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to roy vannoy
Help need to find a replacement for bellyband.

I am in the process of doing a frame off restore on my Fiberglass Sunrader. I have replaced the metal on the frame and wood floor has been replaced. Lower body has been reinstalled, now its time to install the upper body. I am looking for a replacement bellyband. I know where to find metal bellybands but looking for something a little easier to install such as plastic or something easier to bend. I do not want to do away with the band entirely by fiberglassing over the seams. Has anyone use another product other than metal? Thanks in advance.
roy vannoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I hear you about wanting a bellyband...but if we had ours to do over again (and one day we might), we'd go ahead and fiberglass the seam entirely inside and out, solid and heavy. We'd likely make sure to include the wood inside to fasten things to, but it'd be sealed from the outside. Never again a leak or a worry about it unless the trailer were in another wreck.

Then, if we felt like it, we could add a decorative stripe or so, or paint the whole belly area a slightly different color...but I think we'd just leave the
metal/plastic/whatever bellyband OFF.

Best with this. My husband, a machinist, said metal really is your best choice in his very humble opinion. IF you must have a band at all.

(A week after a complete redo, he was out recaulking the belly band where it had leaked slightly at one of the screws. So he's a little prejudiced.)

Just my two cents, YMMV, and I do hear you about wanting the band ON.

Photo of the rig before replacing the band. It's not a BAD look...
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 056.JPG   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 053.JPG  

Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Florida
Kai, thanks for your reply. After reading all the forms about removing the band I think I will do likewise. I was just a little worried about getting the profile right while refiberglassing the two halfs together on the outside.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We wish you the best with this;
it's a lot of work no matter how you do it!

(I'm surprised more people haven't replied; there are lots of people here who know lots of things about subjects like this!)

Anyway, happy glassing!
Old 07-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Cut back the fiberglass a little on the outside first then you can keep the profile. gradual slope building up to full thickness, then if still gelcoat; the middle could be colour matched and filled in with gelcoat.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #6

Florida
The two RV body half's do not butt up together, they are over layed with a piece of molding that has a lip on the bottom to hide offset. The top half of the body overlays the bottom half of RV and is fiberglassed from the inside as standard.