Help needed for Campster lock and propane regulator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I need to replace the door lock in the Campster. Can anyone tell me an available lock model that will work?

I also want to try to replace the propane regulator to see if that makes the Coleman lamp run better. I have no idea what to replace it with. Is it the same as a barbecue regulator? If not, where do I get one for the trailer? I'm not very close to an RV place so it would help if I could order something online or find it readily available somewhere nearby.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Bobby, I replaced mine with a standard entry set from Home Depot -- cost about $10.

Kwikset, Schlage, and others make them -- the one I got was branded "Defiant".

When I looked at the pictures you sent me I think the lockset was put in backwards, with what should have been the inside actually installed outside.

Ignore how the current one is installed on your trailer and follow the printed directions -- I think you will get better results.

--------
I was assuming you are talking about the knob and not the deadbolt. If you are asking about the deadbolt you will have to get a short-throw deadbolt, buut they are hard to find anymore because government regulations require long-throw deadbolts on residential units.

One way of getting a short-throw deabolt is to buy a normal long-throw one and cut it down. You don't need to cut off the whole end, but merely slim down the "outside" portion -- the part that hits the fiberglass shell. The distance between the strike plate and fiberglass shell on my trailer is about 1/2", yours may be different.

Time for bed -- if this doesn't make sense to you I'll try to take some pictures for you.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #3

Registry
Mine has only the one lock, no deadbolt.

The locks I looked at at the local hardware store need at least 1 3/8 thick door; mine is 1 1/4.

I don't know how the lockset could have been backwards; the pushbutton lock was on the inside and the key on the outside.

Bobbie
Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The locks I looked at at the local hardware store need at least 1 3/8 thick door; mine is 1 1/4.
Bobbie
So make a nice looking "shim" it could be out of wood or metal; paint it or leave natural. isn't it fun to make a trailer uniquely your own!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I'm with Donna, I'd go for a nice honey oak stained piece of oak cut to thickness needed with a bandsaw.
Beg, borrow, steal one. I'm sure any woodworker in your neighborhood would cut even some oak firewood to the size you want with his bandsaw and holesaws for even one beer.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Bobbie,
Check for storm door locksets. They're made for thinner doors. This one fits doors from 7/8" to 1 3/8".

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-450-s...tch-603647.aspx

Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #7

Registry
I found one made for a mobile home door so will try that and see if it works. I need it for camping on Friday. If it works but isn't great I should still have time to look for another one before the next trip. I don't think I'll lock it... I just want something to keep the door closed but I won't take a chance on being locked out this time!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
... I don't know how the lockset could have been backwards; the pushbutton lock was on the inside and the key on the outside.
What made me think the installation was backwards was the fact you were able to take off the knob and keycylindar from the outside!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
... I also want to try to replace the propane regulator to see if that makes the Coleman lamp run better. I have no idea what to replace it with. Is it the same as a barbecue regulator? If not, where do I get one for the trailer? I'm not very close to an RV place so it would help if I could order something online or find it readily available somewhere nearby.
Bobbie, I'm sorry that in my excitement to answer your doorlock problem I forgot about your other question about propane regulators.

Here's a link that shows several so you get an idea of cost, but you really need to take the trailer to a licensed propane repair place to have the work done. You really don't want to have any leaks!

Propane regulators: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/...e-regulator.htm
Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I'm with Dana on this one Bobby, I just got a doorknob/deadbolt set at WalMart, so it was keyed the same, and it works fine. Maybe our Compact doors are different thicknesses than the Campsters? That seems rather odd though...
I have noticed that my deadbolt lever on the inside doesn't flip all the way over, must be that long throw thing vs the short throw space for it. Still, it does lock, and between it and the doorknob locking, I feel pretty secure...
Have a good trip this weekend Bobby!
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
you can not use a bbq regulator...at least you're not supposed to. when I bought my boler the pre-purchase inspection yielded a bbq regulator in place of an rv regulator, they (adventure RV) told me for them to turn on the gas to test systems in that configuration and not change the regulator to the proper type was illegal. they put on a new regulator for $20.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Bobby,

I am adding to this thread so others may follow up the lock numbers.

The original lock was a Weiser Lock, it is still made.

Model AC500R5K213SLS1
Richmond co.
Type: Square S1.
Fits 1-3/8 - 1-3/4" doors
35mm to 45mm.
Comes in Gold, Brass, Antique Brass and brushed Silver.
Price 30.00 us

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster, propane