Help needed identifying a trailer I found - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

Name: Kyle
Trailer: Lojo 13' pop top
ID
Help needed identifying a trailer I found

Hello all,

I stumbled across a little fiberglass sleeping camper for sale on Facebook and was wondering if anyone could help me identify it. I've attached pictures here - The person listing it said it was a 1973 "Lovo" trailer, but I can't seem to find anything about them. Anyone recognize it?

They are asking $2,000. I was looking for something more like a Burro or Hunter compact with an interior that is already set up/finished than this sleeping camper, but the price seems like a decent deal, and I can probably build out a little table conversion for the bed and a small countertop/storage space.

Thanks in advance!

-Kyle

WanderingFrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Help needed identifying a trailer I found

Haven't seen this one before, but I like it. Nice clean lines. The name "Lovo" might be a shortened version used on a title, which could be why nothing shows up on searches. Hopefully one of the long-timers will recognize it.

Looks like it was more completely equipped at one time. It will take quite a bit of work and $$ to make it that way again, but it could be really nice.

This is where you take inventory of your time, budget, tools, skill set, shop space...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:19 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
i don't see any provision for shore power or any sort of water, but it looks like it had a propane fridge, except i don't see any propane tanks but there's no clear picture of the front.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
isn't there a VIN plate on it? that should state the manufacturer and year, as well as weight and stuff ?

it looks a lot like a Trails-West Campster to me.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
The shell sure is similar to the Compacts and the Campster, but yet different. From the outside pics, it looks like it may have had a fridge. From the inside pics, I would guess that it has been gutted with plans to rebuild but not finished.

If you have the skills and the time, and also assuming the frame and axle are sound, make an offer and see what happens. I paid about 50% more than that for my Campster already refurbished, so you'll need to figure out how much you're willing to spend total to get a complete camper (as defined by you).

We really like the rear entrance floor plan and sleep north to south on either side.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you want a full service camper with frig, stove, electrical, etc., then I would keep looking. Its really a fiberglass tent at this point, a nice one. Building it out will put you well over the cost of getting one that is already complete.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #7

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Could it be a Surf-Side or a Trails West? Not sure if they were making them in the early 70's though. The frame design/construction if original can tell you a lot about what brand it is as well as the axle.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #8

Don't think it is a Trails West. The windows are different (mine are more rectangular), it has a different kind of raised area below the pop up, and I think Trails West models ended with the 1971 or 72.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There needs to be a vertical support on either side to support the roof. Maybe its just beyond the interior picture.

Given the vents on the sides, its been gutted and stripped.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Eye-catching novelty camper. Not sure how much weight one would want to put in that large roof rack given that all three walls supporting the frontal area include large windows with no obvious additional support for the potential weight.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Eye-catching novelty camper. Not sure how much weight one would want to put in that large roof rack given that all three walls supporting the frontal area include large windows with no obvious additional support for the potential weight.
Not a roof rack. That's the pop up area that allows standing inside. Ours is 6'6" when down and has 6'4" headroom inside when up.

I agree with needing some roof support. Ours has a floor to ceiling cabinets on the right side and a counter with no support on the left. We have a little sag on the left, but not enough that I have felt compelled to address it. The frame for the top helps provide rigidity to that area.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Looks like a rack to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 12.37.00 PM.png  
Old 06-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #13

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Looks like a rack to me.
The black steel tube roof rack can be seen in the second photo, as well. A rather large capacity rack with little to no visible support underneath. Imagine the added potential for downward pressure from frontal area headwind while under tow. I wonder what they stowed up there that couldn't have just as easily (perhaps) ridden inside the camper when on the road....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
The black steel tube roof rack can be seen in the second photo, as well. A rather large capacity rack with little to no visible support underneath. Imagine the added potential for downward pressure from frontal area headwind while under tow. I wonder what they stowed up there that couldn't have just as easily (perhaps) ridden inside the camper when on the road....
My bad. I didn't notice that. Mine has a solar panel on that location, which is not light but has the weight well disbursed. I would hope the mounting spots are close to the edge where there is more support from the side walls.

Still don't know what it is.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The roof rack will be just fine because the supports that hold it onto the roof are located out towards the edge of the roof where the roof starts to curve down towards the wall. That curved transitioned shape is one of the strongest areas of the shell, it functions like a beam at the top of the wall. The rounded corners on the shell at the four corners act like upright beams.

For mounting any kind of rack including solar panes you want to stay out there very close to that rounded over edge by the walls. It will take a fair amount of weight if the load is bearing along those edges.

The person who mounted that roof basket knew what they were doing they put it in the right place with the feet right where they needed to be for maximum load bearing support.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
"The person who mounted that roof basket knew what they were doing they put it in the right place with the feet right where they needed to be for maximum load bearing support.--k. corbin"

Or whoever mounted it just got lucky.

Paul and I are drooling over what all could be done with that interior--and shuddering as well at the amount of work. Once may be enough for a complete gut/redo.

To whoever gets it...add some 12V outlets as well as 110/120 while you're in the process...it's a lot harder later!

Kai
Old 06-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #17

Name: Pete
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SD
Utah
I don't see any pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFrontier View Post
Hello all,

I stumbled across a little fiberglass sleeping camper for sale on Facebook and was wondering if anyone could help me identify it. I've attached pictures here - The person listing it said it was a 1973 "Lovo" trailer, but I can't seem to find anything about them. Anyone recognize it?

They are asking $2,000. I was looking for something more like a Burro or Hunter compact with an interior that is already set up/finished than this sleeping camper, but the price seems like a decent deal, and I can probably build out a little table conversion for the bed and a small countertop/storage space.

Thanks in advance!

-Kyle

UtahPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: K- Line
Alberta
Sleep trailer

We have one.....made in Canada , it is called a K Line.....made in the early 70’s.
There would have been a table at the front, that made into a good size bed....a fridge, and a countertop with sink.

The pop up isn’t a storage rack, it is simply for head room....collapses when on the road.

Very similar to the Hunter , made in the USA

Love it!
K-line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #19

Name: Ben
Trailer: None
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-line View Post
We have one.....made in Canada , it is called a K Line.....made in the early 70’s.
There would have been a table at the front, that made into a good size bed....a fridge, and a countertop with sink.

The pop up isn’t a storage rack, it is simply for head room....collapses when on the road.

Very similar to the Hunter , made in the USA

Love it!
Yep You beat me to it.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #20

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
This one has been posted for sale on "The Boler (Scamp, Casita, Burro, Big Foot, Trillium) Travel Trailer.. Facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails
35430818_1559328860845891_3951270771589906432_n.jpg