HELP!!! New to be 13’ Scamp owners. Need help with bed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
As a 13' Scamp owner, I'd take a wider bed. I'm sleeping in the bed 8 hours a night, and spend much less time using closet space or the sink in the camper. We do use the sink (mostly getting ready for bed at night, or putting my contacts in). If the sink could stay the same size and the propane stove shrink to one burner, I'd be real happy, as I never use the stove.
As for closet space, I'd probably miss it a bit, but like Floyd said, the extra 10" space for under bed storage would make up for it. Most of what's in that closet tends to not get used much anyway. I'm guessing I could take it out and not miss 80% of it!
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #22

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
For me a larger bed would be of more value. I never use my sink. Even with a hookup available I generally keep water outside under my awning for dishes and other needs. Just too small inside. I do like the stove for morning coffee....prep before bed and reach over to turn it on in the morning. Then I can finish waking up to freshly brewed java. Good luck on your decision.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Washington?

You live in Washington and want to buy a Scamp which is built 2000 Miles away? Do you realize delivery runs $1.50 per mile?

I would at least look at Escape up in Chilliwack which is only a few hundred miles away and you could pick it up yourself. You would get a lot for an extra $3000.

I think Escape still make 13's by request.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and welcome to FGRV.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #24

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
in ref to buying trailers from far away...My wife and i just had a new Parkliner delivered to our home on the oregon coast from the North Carolina plant... the price for delivery ran about .83 per mile on a back haul (they were picking up a boat in southern oregon to deliver back east)...there are deals out there!

On bed size, we sleep in our van conversion that we put a custom 52"x82" Froli Sleep System. We use the space under for storage and wouldn't be without it. On size of bed? My wife and i are regular sized folk, me @5'8" and she at 5'4". The bed is larger than we really need, but the storage under is sure great!

Have fun with your new rig no matter the plan.
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #25

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
Bigger bed. I sleep okay in ours but my husband has some bad nights. He's a big guy (and I'm no Twiggy, myself) and turning over can be a tight move.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
You live in Washington and want to buy a Scamp which is built 2000 Miles away? Do you realize delivery runs $1.50 per mile?

I would at least look at Escape up in Chilliwack which is only a few hundred miles away and you could pick it up yourself. You would get a lot for an extra $3000.

Hey! if you don't like to travel... Why buy a travel trailer?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I just went out and measured the closet width....it's 20 inches. There is no way I'd give up 10 inches in my closet. I don't hang items as I put shelves in which I like better. I can't imagine having only 10 inches for storage in the closet.

But most definitely I would not want to loose any counter space and I don't care for stoves that are mounted front to back. I don't like the idea of reaching over a burner to get to the other one. Mostly I wouldn't want to loose the easily accessive storage under the sink. I know lots of big people that are happy with the standard sized bed.

Then there are those where the husband sleeps on the bed and the wife sleeps on the couch. Works great for them. Your not living in this trailer. There are also couples who purchase the 16 footer with side bath and front couch and sleep separate also. What ever works.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #28

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
WE bought a new Scamp 13 last year and wish a bigger bed would have been offered. We just got back from a 16 day westward adventure and are considering a "trade-up". Most of our storage goes to the bed of the Ranger we tow with except for clothes and a few other essentials, books,iPods etc. Kinda feel like I have to warn her when I want to change positions. Just sayin.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #29

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
WE bought a new Scamp 13 last year and wish a bigger bed would have been offered. We just got back from a 16 day westward adventure and are considering a "trade-up". Most of our storage goes to the bed of the Ranger we tow with except for clothes and a few other essentials, books,iPods etc. Kinda feel like I have to warn her when I want to change positions. Just sayin.
Yes indeedy! I think that is a feature of the 13' models. We've taken to sleeping head to toe just so there is more shoulder room. As of late, I've got my eyes on a 15' Trillium 4500 that comes w a double bed size mattress. Trilliumrv.com
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: 2011 CASITA Liberty Deluxe 17'
WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

That response makes lots of sense when factoring in the delivery costs of the Scamp and the relative nearness of the Escape factory...
We live in Washington and faced the same dilemma, but it was tempered somewhat by the higher initial cost of the Escape and by a promised delivery fee of $1700 by the Scamp factory. (We finally bought a used 13' locally.)

And welcome to this great forum!
John in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #31

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Step outside the box for a moment, if you haven't already ordered your 13 footer yet.
The real question isn't really the size of the bed or the storage area, etc.
The real question is "room", I like a roomier scamp and for this reason I would opt for the smaller bed. The bed in actuality will offer 5 inches on either side of you which in reality will be more like 2.5 inches on both sides. So having a roomier Scamp is the way I would go, pick up the additional storage, you WILL need it.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #32

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
For me it's a no-brainer. I am 6'7", 240 pounds, my dear little wife is 6'2", weight---classified. If like us you also got a 75 pound dog, get the bigger bed.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
This is [one] reason for the choice I made.
I wanted at least a queen size bed and I
wanted a FULL TIME bed. With my problems
and bad back I could not see me setting up
and tearing down a dual/purpose table and bed.

Stripped down Queen bed and windows

My other pictures:

Backyard Photo Shoot

You have to add up all your wants and needs to make the choice for you.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #34

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Wayne offered us the option of the 54" bed when we ordered our 13' last month. We decided to stay with the 44" standard bed. It just seemed to be in scale to the rest of the camper. We usually sleep close together anyway even in our queen bed at home. Additional thought, not only do you lose 10" in the closet and the sink/burner cabinet, but the upper cabinet becomes a 2 door instead of a 3 door cabinet. It's great though to have the option available for anyone who wants it.
Dave Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We are looking at a 13' Scamp that has the standard bed and a sink/range cabinet. There is no storage closet next to the bed and I'm wondering if the sink/range cabinet can be moved 12-15" so a larger bed can be installed? Anyone have knowledge of that potential mod? Here is a pic of the trailer interior:
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E View Post
We are looking at a 13' Scamp that has the standard bed and a sink/range cabinet. There is no storage closet next to the bed and I'm wondering if the sink/range cabinet can be moved 12-15"so a larger bed can be installed? Anyone have knowledge of that potential mod? Here is a pic of the trailer interior:
That would be a pretty extensive mod, time consuming and if you're not a DIY person, expensive.

IMO, wait until the right Scamp comes along, it's out there somewhere waiting for you.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #37

My wife says DIY are my actual initials. What I was wondering is if there are structural components involved that might affect the integrity of the trailer. Someone was talking about making a roof brace removable and I would shy away from something like that. But if this cabinet is bolted/riveted in with no structural component I would be confident of moving it, just wondering if it had been done before or if there was a topic in the forums that details such a mod.

Since the bigger bed is a recent option from Scamp, I doubt I'll find one anytime soon in the used market.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #38

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Dan, what jumps out at me is the tranfer of weight forward from the original specs by moving the complete cabinet towards the coupler. Not sure if it would make a huge difference but....just sayin'.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Dan, what jumps out at me is the tranfer of weight forward from the original specs by moving the complete cabinet towards the coupler. Not sure if it would make a huge difference but....just sayin'.
Excellent point, hadn't thought of that issue. We're going to go take a look at it this afternoon so I'll get a better overall idea of how things will fit our needs.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #40

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
We've only spent a few nights in our 2005 front toilet scamp with the 44" bed, but we're amazed at how well it worked (although I did fabricate a bit of plywood to fit under the cushion between the closet and the sink counter.) But then, we sleep in a double bed at home, so maybe we're used to it. It works better than you'd think.

cg
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp