Help Pricing a Scamp to Sell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 11:08 PM   #1

Name: LaDonna
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
Question Help Pricing a Scamp to Sell

Hi Everyone-

I am selling my Scamp and would appreciate some feedback about how much I should ask. I'm located in Northern California. I have attached below the advertisement: Sorry- It's long and detailed.

I bought this Scamp 13’ trailer in September 2020, and intended to work on it as a project. I purchased most of the necessary parts I needed to complete the work, and then became overwhelmed with a new job. So, I decided to go a different direction and purchase a new one from the Scamp factory.

This is a 2000 13ft Scamp trailer. These highly sought-after lightweight fiberglass trailers can be towed by most passenger cars. This trailer is structurally sound with a reinforced bottom and brand new wheels, tires and jack. The interior of this trailer has been gutted with partial installation of a wood closet, wood front bench and oak flooring (all unfinished).

The exterior has a number of rivet and other small holes that have been filled, but need to be sanded and painted over. The front door needs to be re-hung and the window replaced (all parts included).

This Scamp comes with a clear title and all newly purchased parts and is wired for towing.

This includes the following:

Exterior:
Entry lock with keys
Stabilizers
Wheel Chocks
Single Metal Step
Safety Chains
Wheels and Tires (installed)
Bottom Door Slide
Rib Door Seal
Side Windows (2 installed)
31 ft Black Plastic Trim
Jack with spare wheel
Red and Amber Marker Lights
Cover

Interior
Oak Floor Boards (New in sealed box)
Tan Headliner
Headliner fabric strips
MWS 24” x 100’ Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation Thermal Barrier
2 cans spray adhesive
Putty Tape Seal
LED Double Dome Light
Interior LED bulbs

Electrical System
12 Volt USB port
12 Volt Charging Station
Battery Disconnect w/ key
Cord Port
30 to 15 Amp Adapter
Fuse Kit
Battery Box with strap
Inline fuse holder
Junction Box 7-way
30 Amp Shore Power Pigtail
Double Rocker Switch
Wiring Terminal Kit
Converter

Gas System
LP Tank Hold Down Strap
LP Regulator to Trailer Hose
Single Propane Gas Gauge
36” LP Supply Hose
Single Propane Tank Regulator

Water System
Fresh Water Filter with Barb
Fresh Water Filler Hose
Blue Pex Water Line
Fresh Water Tank
City Water Connection
Hose Carrier End Cap
Fresh Water Filter
Petcock Drain Valve
Fresh Water Filler
Valterra Hand Pump Faucet
Camco Flexible Camper Drain Tap w/ Hose system for RVs and Trailers

Galley Items
Dometic Two-Stove Cooktop
ZUHNE 15” x 15” drop in stainless steel sink
3-Way Refrigerator (used- in good shape)
Microwave with Pizza Oven
Window (uninstalled)
20” Fridge Vent (uninstalled)
LaDonnaCurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Am I understanding you do not have any of the original fiberglass interior benches and cabinets? Do you have a window for every opening? Does the door fit correctly in the opening (ie, were there any significant gaps before it was removed)? You built a door closet and front bench, but you haven’t installed the Reflectix or marine headliner (so bare fiberglass walls)? What do you mean by "reinforced bottom"?

Pictures showing the condition of the shell, the parts, and the work already done (especially the cabinets you built) would be very helpful. Wild guess, $2-4K. You could certainly try for more in this current overheated market. You might get lucky, but realistically, a sensible person would realize this project has a ton of work remaining. A skilled cabinetmaker working full time might have it ready to camp before this season is over. For most people it will be a year’s worth of weekends.

I would encourage you to modify the statement “can be towed with most passenger vehicles." No-bath 13' Scamps end up weighing 1400-1800# loaded for camping, but sedans are generally tow-rated for 1000# or less. Even many popular compact SUVs like the CR-V and RAV4 are rated 1500#, which is marginal. I usually recommend a minimum tow rating of 2000# for a 13’ molded trailer, which narrows the list quite a bit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:19 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Without pictures, no idea. Pictures sell trailers. Buyers don't pay attention to text.

Uncompleted project = hefty discount. I would not expect to recoup $$ spent, particularly on a recent purchase, unless the original purchase was a smoking hot deal. Did it originally have a fiberglass interior?

Partially finished projects can sell for less than projects not started, as there are people looking for a blank slate to build their dream trailer. The quality of the work so far is going to be important, rather than a parts list. The choice is clear, put enough work into it so it is road worthy: windows and doors installed, outside lights work, enough structure inside that is not a blob of jello going down the road; or just heavily discount it and move on. Sometimes the latter is the best choice.

I have been there on projects, where I am just "sick and tired" of it. Come get it out of my yard!

There are definitely buyers out there for projects at the appropriate price.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I understand where you’re at. I bought a 1973 Compact II via Craigslist for $900. After gutting it, starting a frame-off restoration, painting it, etc, I realized how big a project it was. My wife did too and ordered a new Scamp. I sold the unfinished project for $2,000, which was less than I had into it. How you price it is at least partially dependent on how quickly you want to sell it. I was just happy to see mine go to an appreciative buyer who had plans for it (a mobile photography darkroom) and ultimately completed it. We’ve never looked back.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Where in Cali are you located? I might be interested in another project if the price is right. Send me a message shammel@hotmail.com
Old 03-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #6

California
Pictures of 2000 Scamp via Slideshow

https://youtu.be/bS2TMFseRP0

I found a way to add pictures- Via slideshow on YouTube- If you can't access, please let me know- Thanks for your feedback all.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Am I understanding you do not have any of the original fiberglass interior benches and cabinets? Do you have a window for every opening? Does the door fit correctly in the opening (ie, were there any significant gaps before it was removed)? You built a door closet and front bench, but you haven’t installed the Reflectix or marine headliner (so bare fiberglass walls)? What do you mean by "reinforced bottom"?

Pictures showing the condition of the shell, the parts, and the work already done (especially the cabinets you built) would be very helpful. Wild guess, $2-4K. You could certainly try for more in this current overheated market. You might get lucky, but realistically, a sensible person would realize this project has a ton of work remaining. A skilled cabinetmaker working full time might have it ready to camp before this season is over. For most people it will be a year’s worth of weekends.

I would encourage you to modify the statement “can be towed with most passenger vehicles." No-bath 13' Scamps end up weighing 1400-1800# loaded for camping, but sedans are generally tow-rated for 1000# or less. Even many popular compact SUVs like the CR-V and RAV4 are rated 1500#, which is marginal. I usually recommend a minimum tow rating of 2000# for a 13’ molded trailer, which narrows the list quite a bit.
Here is a link to my pictures:
Old 03-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #8

California
Here is a link to the pictures-

Old 03-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDonnaCurry View Post
Hi Everyone-

I am selling my Scamp and would appreciate some feedback about how much I should ask. I'm located in Northern California. I have attached below the advertisement: Sorry- It's long and detailed.

I bought this Scamp 13’ trailer in September 2020, and intended to work on it as a project. I purchased most of the necessary parts I needed to complete the work, and then became overwhelmed with a new job. So, I decided to go a different direction and purchase a new one from the Scamp factory.

This is a 2000 13ft Scamp trailer. These highly sought-after lightweight fiberglass trailers can be towed by most passenger cars. This trailer is structurally sound with a reinforced bottom and brand new wheels, tires and jack. The interior of this trailer has been gutted with partial installation of a wood closet, wood front bench and oak flooring (all unfinished).

The exterior has a number of rivet and other small holes that have been filled, but need to be sanded and painted over. The front door needs to be re-hung and the window replaced (all parts included).

This Scamp comes with a clear title and all newly purchased parts and is wired for towing.

This includes the following:

Exterior:
Entry lock with keys
Stabilizers
Wheel Chocks
Single Metal Step
Safety Chains
Wheels and Tires (installed)
Bottom Door Slide
Rib Door Seal
Side Windows (2 installed)
31 ft Black Plastic Trim
Jack with spare wheel
Red and Amber Marker Lights
Cover

Interior
Oak Floor Boards (New in sealed box)
Tan Headliner
Headliner fabric strips
MWS 24” x 100’ Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation Thermal Barrier
2 cans spray adhesive
Putty Tape Seal
LED Double Dome Light
Interior LED bulbs

Electrical System
12 Volt USB port
12 Volt Charging Station
Battery Disconnect w/ key
Cord Port
30 to 15 Amp Adapter
Fuse Kit
Battery Box with strap
Inline fuse holder
Junction Box 7-way
30 Amp Shore Power Pigtail
Double Rocker Switch
Wiring Terminal Kit
Converter

Gas System
LP Tank Hold Down Strap
LP Regulator to Trailer Hose
Single Propane Gas Gauge
36” LP Supply Hose
Single Propane Tank Regulator

Water System
Fresh Water Filter with Barb
Fresh Water Filler Hose
Blue Pex Water Line
Fresh Water Tank
City Water Connection
Hose Carrier End Cap
Fresh Water Filter
Petcock Drain Valve
Fresh Water Filler
Valterra Hand Pump Faucet
Camco Flexible Camper Drain Tap w/ Hose system for RVs and Trailers

Galley Items
Dometic Two-Stove Cooktop
ZUHNE 15” x 15” drop in stainless steel sink
3-Way Refrigerator (used- in good shape)
Microwave with Pizza Oven
Window (uninstalled)
20” Fridge Vent (uninstalled)

Link to my slideshow on YouTube
Old 03-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Where in Cali are you located? I might be interested in another project if the price is right. Send me a message shammel@hotmail.com
Hi Steve-
I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area-
Old 03-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Thank-you for this feedback! I agree that I should be more specific about the types of vehicles that can tow this.

Tags
scamp