Help!! Roof vent won't let go!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Okay...we are removing the old bent up roof vent frame, and it is adhered to the fiberglass. What can I use to break the adhesive without damaging the fiberglass?

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Okay...we are removing the old bent up roof vent frame, and it is adhered to the fiberglass. What can I use to break the adhesive without damaging the fiberglass?

Pam
I just replaced my old vent and had the same problem. There was butyl putty, silicone, and some other stuff (maybe bubble gum) under mine.

I found that a putty knife worked great. After you get it worked under the frame and lift it a little, you can work around the vent. Another possibility is to get a heat gun and apply some heat to it. That might soften up the adhesive. I'd tend to heat the metal frame and let the heat transfer to the adhesive, and start with a low heat and give it time to soften. Excess/misdirected heat could soften the fiberglass as well.

After I got the vent off I scraped it clean with a widget.
Todd Sleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:

Pam
Hi: Pamela... Goo Gone worked for me and then a final clean with medical grade alcohol for a nice clean surface to accept the new Butyl seal.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi: Pamela... Goo Gone worked for me and then a final clean with medical grade alcohol for a nice clean surface to accept the new Butyl seal.
Where do I get the goo gone?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
I found that a putty knife worked great. After you get it worked under the frame and lift it a little, you can work around the vent.
I guess you don't "pry" it off, just gently slide? my husband is concerned about breaking the fiberglass. How tough is it? Looks pretty easy to break.

Pamela
Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I guess you don't "pry" it off, just gently slide? my husband is concerned about breaking the fiberglass. How tough is it? Looks pretty easy to break.

Pamela
Hi: Goo Gone is avail at most hardware stores and it will remove even those pesky labels that they stick on gifts etc. Prying as much as possible and pushing thru the old stuff with a putty knife to get as much off as poss. Then use the goo gone to remove the surface residue!!! As for the fiberglass it is stronger than you think as these trailers longevity shows!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1300 1979
From the outside I heated it with a heat gun just enough to soften the glue, silicon and bubble gum..... then with the xatco knife and little shots from the heat gun to keep it soft, i slid the blade flat between and cut the bond, then the putty knife

hth

graeme
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote