Help! Spongy floor in My Casita! - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 5
Unhappy Help! Spongy floor in My Casita!

Hello Everyone!
Iím a new owner of a 2001í 16í Casita SD. I love the camper, but noticed the walkway area is a little spongy, and I read that there is OSB sandwiched between fiberglass or resin on top. If so, I want to remove it and replace with marine grade plywood, but would welcome any advice/tips! Honestly, this terrifies me, 😬😳. Iím going to have it checked for leaks and have them repaired/fixed before I replace the floor.

Any and all advice is welcomed!
LIsaDoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 3,598
Registry
No fiberglass on top, its just a coating of resin. Then you have all the penetrations through it. Bathtub design of Casita traps any interior leaks. Put a piece of OSB into a tub of water and you will see what happens. Casita over the years has continually improved their floor design. Floors tend to rot from the inside out.

The Trillium design (not perfect either) has fiberglass on top, fiberglass on the bottom, and pontoons around the perimeter. This gives water a chance to leave the trailer rather than rot out the floor. Better design for sure.


Every penetration through the body of the trailer has leak potential. and then there is the plumbing and water tank. Assume rot is more widespread than it appears.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...TYLDKcQ4dUDCAw
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
No fiberglass on top, its just a coating of resin. Then you have all the penetrations through it. Bathtub design of Casita traps any interior leaks. Put a piece of OSB into a tub of water and you will see what happens. Casita over the years has continually improved their floor design. Floors tend to rot from the inside out.

The Trillium design (not perfect either) has fiberglass on top, fiberglass on the bottom, and pontoons around the perimeter. This gives water a chance to leave the trailer rather than rot out the floor. Better design for sure.


Every penetration through the body of the trailer has leak potential. and then there is the plumbing and water tank. Assume rot is more widespread than it appears.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...TYLDKcQ4dUDCAw
Thank you! Very informative
LIsaDoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Posts: 292
If you have not found the leak, I will share what I found on my '15 LD Casita. It started leaking around the power vent and sometimes the leak would be around any of the sides of the vent depending on how the trailer was leveled. After repair, I still had a leak and it was not an easy find. It would only show up after a hard rain on the entrance side where the small storage door is located. I removed the fiberglass (easy to remove). It was leaking around the storage door gaskets and puddling under the seating/sleeping area and eventually seeping out the cups that hold the table legs. I have not replaced the gaskets as yet but just taped up around the storage door until I get the gaskets. From the outside, it looks as if the door is not seated squarely in the opening against the gaskets.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
JMS
Member
 
JMS's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Posts: 80
Registry
New underlayment

I used a ĺ" layer of Advantech which is a waterproof OSB glued and screwed with self-tapping stainless steel screws down on top of the existing floor. It not only reinforced the floor but made the whole trailer more solid. You can apply your new finished floor right over the Advantech
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Madeline
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIsaDoran View Post
Hello Everyone!
Iím a new owner of a 2001í 16í Casita SD. I love the camper, but noticed the walkway area is a little spongy, and I read that there is OSB sandwiched between fiberglass or resin on top. If so, I want to remove it and replace with marine grade plywood, but would welcome any advice/tips! Honestly, this terrifies me, 😬😳. Iím going to have it checked for leaks and have them repaired/fixed before I replace the floor.

Any and all advice is welcomed!
We had a leak at the water heater by pass valve. The moisture seeped in at the floor table brackets for the posts. They go all the way through the floor.
Pulled out the carpet through the middle. Set the skill saw for the depth of the laminate and the wood. The edges with the oscillating saw. All the beds come out with screws to get them out of the way. Itís tedious, but not hard. You will discover big washers that sandwich floor to body. We replaced osb with plywood and smoothed it all with a top coat of epoxy. Topped off with linoleum instead of carpet for cleaning ease.
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
Member
 
Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
Posts: 52
King board for your floor

If your going to replace the floor in your RV take a look at King Star Board.
It used for decking on yachts, boats, etc. It is completely waterproof. It is made of high density polyethylene (HDPE). It will never rot. The metal frame on the trailer will rust away before it. Just take a look at King Star Board on google.
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfixer View Post
If your going to replace the floor in your RV take a look at King Star Board.
It used for decking on yachts, boats, etc. It is completely waterproof. It is made of high density polyethylene (HDPE). It will never rot. The metal frame on the trailer will rust away before it. Just take a look at King Star Board on google.
That is awesome! I was wondering what I should replace it with! Thanks so much! I will definitely look into it.����❤️
LIsaDoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:13 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 5
Thanks for the great advice! ��
LIsaDoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:01 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Madeline
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfixer View Post
If your going to replace the floor in your RV take a look at King Star Board.
It used for decking on yachts, boats, etc. It is completely waterproof. It is made of high density polyethylene (HDPE). It will never rot. The metal frame on the trailer will rust away before it. Just take a look at King Star Board on google.
I like that for some applications. But it does not bind to fiberglass/epoxy. It is also super heavy.
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelinecap View Post
I like that for some applications. But it does not bind to fiberglass/epoxy. It is also super heavy.
Ok, thank you
LIsaDoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:08 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Casita
British Columbia
Posts: 3
I have built 8-10 million dollar yachts for 20 years and done lots of fiberglass work. I seal all penetrations with a marine product called sika-flex, Windows and all holes. They put thru hull fittings under water with this product. I replaced my floor after jacking up the back to level and re-glass at the mounts. Put 1/2 inch plywood down, then vinyl floor. The original floor is the worst plywood OSB made.
John Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:36 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Madeline
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 19
����
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casita


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1986 Burro Floor is Spongy CJLassi Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 14 08-13-2016 10:04 AM
Spongy Floor :-( Sue and Henry Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 19 11-11-2015 02:07 PM
Advice on Allure Floor Install - Raising sub floor Tommy Gun Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 10-12-2015 12:04 AM
1978 Boler 1700 - Spongy floor, is it a bad purchase? Graphite Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 05-02-2014 09:01 PM
Gelcoating Burro Floor to prolong floor life? not-very-clever Modifications, Alterations and Updates 12 11-23-2013 10:29 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.