Help this Fiberglass crack looks bad - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Forest River
New Jersey
Help this Fiberglass crack looks bad

We just bought this 2018 Sunseeker two weeks ago I do not believe the crack was there when we bought it. I have seen a couple of hairline cracks which I expect but this look scary. What should I do with this would this be considered structural? Any suggestions would be appreciated,Thanks Michael
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3350.jpg  
Mmuhler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Certainly looks like a real crack. If you can get to the other side, the best repair would be to lay down a couple layers of fiberglass cloth behind it with some resin. Then fill the crack with body putty. Fiberglass doesn't crack without a reason so it's important to first figure out how it happened.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don’t think this is a molded trailer. I suspect there’s something going on inside the wall, perhaps causing the awning rail to loosen and pull some of the fiberglass skin with it. A leak at the wall-to-roof seam, causing some deterioration of the wood structure inside the wall, maybe?

I agree it is very concerning. You have landed on a site for molded fiberglass (egg-type) trailers, which are made (and repaired) differently. You could also try posting on the general RV site iRV2.com.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
that really looks like a structural problem within the walls. you need to seek professional help you gotta keep water out of it or you will end up with a much bigger problem. your walls are not traditional fiberglass as we deal with on our trailers. Cant just cover up and move on. hopefully you have a warranty from where you bought it. might check with your insurance company.

https://gotraveltrailers.com/which-t...ers-use-azdel/
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #5

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
All fiberglass damage is indicative of OTHER structural defects transmitting loads to the fiberglass. The place to start is with a stress test of the frame.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Those front cantilevered beds / storage are notorious for failures like the one you've shown. I expect you're looking at a MAJOR (and expensive) repair which, if not done right, will have to be done again somewhere down the road. Good luck.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There is a forum for your make of RV. There are other post on it regarding cracks in the exterior. Go there and see what people have done about it and what the cause is. A fiberglass skin panel that is used in your RV is very different in composition and the way it is made and the underlying structure that supports that skin than the fiberglass structure the trailers members of this forum have.

Rather like having a house with walls built only with bricks and mortar versus a wood frame house that has brick veneer applied to the exterior walls. It might look the same at a quick glance but they are built very differently.

Here is the link to where you need to be to get relevant information for your specific make of RV
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote