help with everything - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Wink

So I'm working on getting my new foam covered at a reasonable price but am just beggining a total overhaul. One of the first issues I think I'll need help with is how to attatch things, as I'm sure I'll be needing to attatch all sorts of things in all kinds of places. What method is best? I'm assuming I cant just go drilling holes all over the place. Love all the idea's I've seen, thanks for the inspiration.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nope, can't drill all over the place (if you're talking the trailer's shell), unless you want your egg to be a sieve

Maybe instead of a generalized statement, if you'd tell us exactly WHAT you want to attach...we can give you a better idea of what would work best

Gotta list?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Nope, can't drill all over the place (if you're talking the trailer's shell), unless you want your egg to be a sieve

Maybe instead of a generalized statement, if you'd tell us exactly WHAT you want to attach...we can give you a better idea of what would work best

Gotta list?
No, not yet. It's still pretty general but here's a start. I'm thinking of mounting a metal backsplash behind the sink/counter area, and some type of kitchen utensil rail/rack
there as well. Can I safely mount things to the cupboards above and the closet? Is it ok as long as it's not through the shell? I'd like to mount a drop leaf counter peice at the end between the stove and sofa/bunk to extend the cooking space. Has anyone replaced the curtain rods? Mine are all rusty and corroded and need to be replaced but they look like they are riveted on (possibly original?) How do I put in new rod brackets w/o srewing through the shell? Oh god this is going to be so much fun
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
In my Burro there are no curton rods...they have bungie cords stretched across attaches with a screw....

I have been using suction cups ....to attach things as well as Velcro.....everything is holding up so far....

This weekend I am installing a second led strip light...and I am going to have..velcro
in different areas so I can move it to where I need it....

I also have a bunch of sylvania Dot lights....sticky tape

I am making Solar covers for the windows..these will attach to the windows with velcro....behind the curtains.......I have some issues in the morning when the bright sun shines in...I want it dark...also made a roof vent cover....again with velcro

I am making a cover for the sink and will attach it with suction cups....

I made a cover for the range...adds a large amount of space...

I also have a 10 watt solar panel outside attached with suction cups....keeps the battery charged up...

hope this gives you some ideas.....that metal back splash..use velcro....
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Has anyone replaced the curtain rods? Mine are all rusty and corroded and need to be replaced but they look like they are riveted on (possibly original?) How do I put in new rod brackets w/o srewing through the shell?
On my Scamp, the curtain rod brackets are riveted through the shell and the rod rests on the brackets. It shouldn't be too hard to remove the brackets (if rusty) and replace with new ones. Drilling out rivets and reriveting isn't all that difficult using the proper tools and parts. Especially these types of rivets...they're not weight bearing.

Someone on the forum added a diamond plate back splash behind the sink/stove area. Remembering what the picture looked like, it appeared the window over the sink was removed and the clamping ring helped to hold the back splash in place. I'll see if I can find a link....

Okay found it, click on the link in the first post: Don Bowman's mods
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #6

Registry
Thanks for the tips and the link. I must get some before pics before I start going crazy. Found an inexpensive upholsterer yesterday, and just need the fabric. Need to decide on my theme first though. Where is the best place to get 3 way fridges and/or stoves? Internet or local RV supplier?
Old 09-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
CAMPING WORLD

(if there is one near you) http://www.campingworld.com/stores/stores.cfm?store=45
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Internet or local RV supplier?
I think if you can find a Camping World "brick-and-mortar" store near you, and use their President's Club discount, you'll probably get a better deal.

Internet Shopping tacks on Shipping & Handling charges...

Some Local RV suppliers may charge full retail price...
Old 10-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Joy, on Yahoo Scampers, made a nice backsplash on her Scamp 13' out of vinyl flooring -- She only had to remove the kitchen window to make a cutout and was able to tuck the flexible flooring between the rivets of the cupboard and kitchen -- White flooring will reflect more light than a metal making the inside brighter.

One fellow I met in a CG was a former egg owner and he said that one thing he really liked about them was that it was easy to drill a hole thru the side and attach stuf with rivets -- He's right and as long as one takes care to treat the outer rivet seating properly, it's unlikely to leak, esp if there's no significant weight involved.

A properly done hole is nothing like a stick-built seam when it comes to leak potential...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
So I'm working on getting my new foam covered at a reasonable price but am just beggining a total overhaul. One of the first issues I think I'll need help with is how to attatch things, as I'm sure I'll be needing to attatch all sorts of things in all kinds of places. What method is best? I'm assuming I cant just go drilling holes all over the place. Love all the idea's I've seen, thanks for the inspiration.
Are you a Maxine or a Martha? How in-depth, permanent do you want to go with your fixes?

[b]Martha's Way
Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.
[b]Maxine's Way
Just suck the ice cream out of the bottom of the cone, for Pete's sake! You are probably lying on the couch with your feet up eating it, anyway!

[b]Martha's Way
To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
[b]Maxine's Way
Buy Hungry Jack mashed potato mix and keep it in the pantry for up to a year.

[b]Martha's Way
When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside of the cake
[b]Maxine's Way
Go to the bakery! They'll even decorate it for you.

[b]Martha's Way
If you accidentally over salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a peeled potato and it will absorb the excess salt for an instant "fix-me-up."
[b]Maxine's Way
If you over salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: "I made it and you will eat it andI don't care how bad it tastes!"

[b]Martha's Way
Brush some beaten egg white over piecrust before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.
[b]Maxine's Way
The Mrs. Smith frozen pie directions do not include brushing egg whites over the crust so I don't.

[b]Martha's Way
Cure for headaches: take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
[b]Maxine's Way
Take a lime, mix it with tequila, chill and drink!

[b]Martha's Way
If you have a problem opening jars, try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.
[b]Maxine's Way
Go ask that very cute neighbor if he can open it for you.

[b]Martha's Way
Don't throw out all that leftover wine. Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.
[b]Maxine's Way
Leftover wine???????? HEL-LO!!!!!.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #11

Registry
For renovating I'm definately a Martha. For cooking.....well the older I get the more Maxine I am. Does anyone know what that small handle is for that is on the edge of the bottom cupbaord? It is near the top on the side by the sofa. It's right where I want to put my drop leaf but want to know it's purpose. As the old saying goes 'never take down a fence with out first knowing why it was built'
Old 10-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 73 Boler

Click image for larger version

Name:	118_1878_IMG.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	5051
Heres my drop leaf. Works very well and attaches to the counter with a piano hinge.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #13

Registry
Love your kitchen, are those cupboards all wood? Did you build and replace them yourself? Or is it laminate veneer over the fiberglass built in? How did you attatch the backsplash? I'm trying to pick fabric now, which first means deciding on a theme, and am limited to color schemes that go with yellow to match the interior. Maybe I could change the interior? Hmmm..... I'd like to know first how much work it was so hopefully you could fill me in if you have info. Do you know what that handle is for? I'm curious to know it's pupose. Thanks a lot
Old 10-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 73 Boler
Thanks Cindi. The cupboards are solid cherry hardwood fastened to the fiberglass from the inside with screws and construction adhesive. The backsplash is countertop laminate contact cemented to the wall. I redid the whole boler as it was pretty bad when i got it with no stove,fridge,furnace and missing cushions so basically it was a clean slate.

Not too sure about what handle you are refering to. I had some type of dohicky that was attached to the bench beside where the fridge was but i didnt know what it was for so i removed it and filed it in the nearest landfill. I havent missed it yet.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Does anyone know what that small handle is for that is on the edge of the bottom cupbaord? It is near the top on the side by the sofa. It's right where I want to put my drop leaf but want to know it's purpose. As the old saying goes 'never take down a fence with out first knowing why it was built'
Quote:
Not too sure about what handle you are refering to. I had some type of dohicky that was attached to the bench beside where the fridge was but i didnt know what it was for so i removed it and filed it in the nearest landfill. I havent missed it yet.
Could any of this hardware have anything to do with supporting the couch back as a top bunk?

Cyndi H:
Pictures would help...