Help with Max Air Ceiling Fan Leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2024, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: Casita SD
New York
Help with Max Air Ceiling Fan Leak

In the interest of making this easy, I'm and cutting and pasting narative and pictures that I posted on the Casita of America Facebook site. I suspect this fan unit has been used on other fiberglass trailers as well:

My first post: A friend has a 2021 Casita SD with Max X Fan unit. With heavy rain or traveling in the rain, it starts dripping out of the corner of the facia. The corner nearest the entry door. Has anyone had this same issue. We did extensive water tests and have definitely ruled out leaks around the roof flange as well as the cover seal. It appears to be leaking around the pivot point that runs in slot for the cover. Has anyone out experienced type of issue. Could it be a design defect??

https://www.maxxair.com/products/fans/maxxfan-deluxe/

Second post: I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light on this problem. First, does anyone out there have this same fan in their Casita. Please see the interior picture of the fan/controls layout and the design of the MaxAirFan Deluxe in the link above. Our friend's unit is white, including the outside. If you do, what year is your Casita. We're trying to figure out if this particular model is still being used after 2021 models or perhaps was discontinued due to such a defect. Secondly, the other picture shows where the leak exits the unit, in the corner nearest the front door. We believe the ceiling carpet hardly gets damp since it leak starts in the internal area near the pivot point of the cover on the passenger side, and the face plate hangs down slightly from the ceiling carpet. So far the techs at Casita have not been much help and we cannot find anything on the net relative to this type of issue on these units.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Max X Fan.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	151537
UpstateCasitaFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:32 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of NC/SW Desert of UT
Registry
Have a nearly identical max fan on my 2014 Escape. No leaks. Assume you have the max fam cover over the unit outside.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:14 AM   #3

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCasitaFolks View Post
We did extensive water tests and have definitely ruled out leaks around the roof flange as well as the cover seal. It appears to be leaking around the pivot point that runs in slot for the cover.
In other words: Water is leaking out, but water can't possibly be leaking in?
Old 05-16-2024, 06:17 AM   #4

Name: Earl
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
My Parkliner developed a very slow leak in that fan area. I fashioned a garden sprinkler wand to simulate rain. Just before beginning the awful task of removing the sealant, I noticed water would pool around the fan in a moat like fashion, as the sealant created a perimeter dam.

A very small, almost imperceptible crack had developed in the flat white plastic just beside the lip for the fan cover. Sealant took care of it. I've had problems with white plastic before, although it has more eye appeal.
Earl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:07 AM   #5

New York
Yes cover was closed and I could not detect any water breach around the rubber seal, only around the pivot point plastic shaft at the slot it moves in. thanks for the response.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:09 AM   #6

New York
Earl, was it the same Max Air unit our friend has?
Old 05-17-2024, 06:00 AM   #7

Name: Earl
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
No, it is a 2013 model, similar, with different controls. I would not have found the small hairline crack without looking down from above at various angles in the sun.
Earl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:02 AM   #8

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCasitaFolks View Post
Yes cover was closed and I could not detect any water breach around the rubber seal, only around the pivot point plastic shaft at the slot it moves in. thanks for the response.
And that shaft and slot is how high above the roof line?
Capillary action is such a fascinating phenomenon.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:19 AM   #9

New York
Not sure how high the slot is. Our friend left for home. I will forward this discussion to him.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:13 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
Mine leaked thru the star cracks around the hinge rivets in the smoked plastic cover. I was surprised at the amount of water that could seep thru those cracks.
StevenMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:33 PM   #11

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Five years ago after purchasing my 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe from a nice couple in Georgia and bringing it home in a torrential downpour, when I was showing it off to my daughter-in-law she pointed out a small/slow drip at the same point you highlighted in your picture.

Figuring that the problem was outside and not inside, I cleaned all the caulking material off from around the outside perimeter of the fan housing on the top of the trailer. I then put an overly generous application of silicone caulk around the outside perimeter overlapping the fanís flange and the Casitaís fiberglass.

I havenít had a leak since!!
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote