Help with my new 1980 Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1980 Burro
Florida
Help with my new 1980 Burro

Hi, I am new here and don't have much experience with fiberglass campers. My Burro was painted by the previous owner, not the best paint job, but it will do for now. The inside was trashed. I found a guy that used to build Sea Ray boats and the fiberglass was pulled out and the inside of the compartments and cabinets gelcoated and splatter painted. New wood floor was put down and wood looking vinyl installed. The rest was sanded and painted. So far so good.
It had a very old window ac and I would like not to replace it but I don't think the roof will support a roof mounted ac. Does anyone know or has tried it?
The door lock does not work anymore, I think a piece has broken off, does anyone know where to get a new or refurbished one?
If someone can give me a lesson on posting photos, any size requirements, and where I will show my progress.
Thanks everyone!
cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
burro and a/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathya View Post
Hi, I am new here and don't have much experience with fiberglass campers. My Burro was painted by the previous owner, not the best paint job, but it will do for now. The inside was trashed. I found a guy that used to build Sea Ray boats and the fiberglass was pulled out and the inside of the compartments and cabinets gelcoated and splatter painted. New wood floor was put down and wood looking vinyl installed. The rest was sanded and painted. So far so good.
It had a very old window ac and I would like not to replace it but I don't think the roof will support a roof mounted ac. Does anyone know or has tried it?
The door lock does not work anymore, I think a piece has broken off, does anyone know where to get a new or refurbished one?
If someone can give me a lesson on posting photos, any size requirements, and where I will show my progress.
Thanks everyone!
I have owned two 13' burros in the past. The roof is not built to support a roof a/c unit.
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #3

Florida
Thanks for the conformation. I am also considering a portable ac but I would need to figure out the easiest way to install the vent without making it permanent.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Cathya, about the most you could hope for would be a Fantastic™ vent fan in the ceiling. A local trailer rebuilder fabbed up a replacement front window assembly that had an opening for a small "window unit" but I don't think I would put that kind of strain on my front wall, even with "proper" bracing, etc. Of course the very similar U-Haul trailers used the "Swamp Cooler" roof unit, but I'm not sure how well they worked and don't know where you would get one anyway.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There was just a Uhaul Swamp cooler for sale on the Uhaul facebook page. They were mainly effective in hot dry climates, probably useless in Florida. I have some remaining parts from ours. A few Uhaul owners have installed a window A/C unit in the front storage area just inside the entry door. Vent holes cut through the hull.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Cathya, about the most you could hope for would be a Fantastic™ vent fan in the ceiling. A local trailer rebuilder fabbed up a replacement front window assembly that had an opening for a small "window unit" but I don't think I would put that kind of strain on my front wall, even with "proper" bracing, etc. Of course the very similar U-Haul trailers used the "Swamp Cooler" roof unit, but I'm not sure how well they worked and don't know where you would get one anyway.

Froggie
Thanks, we solved the problem by moving the spare tire from the back to under the front frame and installed a small window a/c where the spare was and it seems to be working just great. The only obstacle I have now is to replace the window where the a/c was when I bought it. The frame was trashed. I have called several salvage places out west but so far no luck.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #7

New York
Front window what you need?? Anyone know if Burro uses the same size front window as Uhaul because a Scamp window can be made to fit. Another option; look in the document center under parts for Uhauls to get the info on where to get a custom window made at a reasonable price.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #8

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Front window what you need?? Anyone know if Burro uses the same size front window as Uhaul because a Scamp window can be made to fit. Another option; look in the document center under parts for Uhauls to get the info on where to get a custom window made at a reasonable price.
IIRC, the pre-U-Haul Burros use the same front window as those made for U-Haul. How much extra fitting is needed to make the Scamp window fit? If I get a custom-made window fabricated, I'll probably just put in a single, solid pane rather than the slider and screen arrangement it has now.

Froggie
Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #9

New York
I installed a Scamp rear window (slider) in the rear of our Uhaul by widening the opening by about 1/2" on each side. Had to install clamp ring backwards. Another Uhaul owner installed the Scamp slider in the front. Probably your best option is to look up that window company in the Uhaul files and see what they can do. I've heard they will make a window to fit and provide the correct clamp ring for whatever wall thickness.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #10

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
My uhaul had a swamp cooler on it when I bought it. and it worked. I used it minus the water as just a fan for a year. finally pulled it and installed a fantastic fan. The fantastic fan moves a lot more air. Never used the water component as I'm in Georgia and the last thing I need is more humidity down here. We have also used a tower fan in the corner.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:29 AM   #11

Virginia
Registry
Yeah, in VA in the Summer, I'm not sure extra moisture would be a plus even if I could find a working swamp cooler and install it on my Burro. Hot and clammy is not much better than just hot (if better at all) and I surely don't want my guns to rust up at the Summer events of North-South Skirmish Association or American Single Shot Rifle Association!

Froggie

Tags
burro