Help with new trailer for 2017 Audi Q5 3.0 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Name: Liz
Trailer: Previous Casita deluxe on a shopping again for independence
Nevada
Help with new trailer for 2017 Audi Q5 3.0

Hello again I'm trying to figure out how to use this site. I actually need some help in making a decision for my new car which replaced my explorer and casita. My husband and I have a fifth wheel but I love hiking so I've realized I should've kept the casita which I could take anywhere I wanted. I purchased a 2017 Audi Q5 3.0. i'm having to put an aftermarket hitch on it because I was told that had the hitch but it didn't. Audi is installing it so it will be finE. I'm looking at a lightweight trailer either a 13 foot or 16 foot and I've been looking a lot at the scamps and Casitas but I really don't want a lot of weight on the transmission and rear end.I called Casita yesterday and found out they're not making their 13 foot patriot anymore. I've read a lot of posts can anyone out there please help me with weight? I have to have the bathroom I cannot do without a shower and toilet. The only people going with me would be Francis my husband does not hike I was very confused when I looked at the chart on tongue weight because it appeared the scamp tongue weights were actually heavier than the Casita. I'm thinking if the car can pull a 16 foot would be the right length but I could go 13 foot scamp and I know delivery is way out till next year for a new one. Weight limit is 4400 pounds for the Audi but I wouldn't want to go anywhere near that. I know even pulling the Casita with the explorer dot 2011 sometimes was difficult and it's supposedly had 5000 towing capacity. Thanks so much for your help.
Libbyluvstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:41 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
IMO you should be ok with. 16' Scamp or Casita, or a 13'er.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Hi, there and welcome.

You might be mixing up the Audi curb weight with the weight allowed when loaded (GVWR). You might want to look at that again.

Also need to look at the Audi's GCWR for your model. And towing capacity.

And tongue weight --- 10-15% of loaded trailer weight --- plus allowed loaded trailer weight. Good luck.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 PM   #4

Nevada
Thanks

Thanks Cathi. Towing capacity is 4400 lbs. I would not want to go past 3000 pounds max tow weight. I was just confused on the tongue weight because I was told scamps have a lighter tongue weight but then the thread I saw show they were actually heavier than the casita.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:09 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Regarding tongue weight on Scamp and Casita 16's, there really isn't enough data in the trailer weights thread to be sure. There are only 3 Casita 16's in the database, and one is a standard (no bath). If you leave that one out, and on the other side leave out the Scamp deluxe (wood interior, as they tend to be a bit heavier), the tongue weight averages give the edge to Scamp. But again, the variation is wide and data limited, so what you carry and how you load could make it go either way.

I believe either could be a good fit for your Audi, and if it were me, I would base my decision on which trailer and layout I preferred.

If you want to go even smaller, Scamp still makes a 13' model with a bathroom. Also, it's only been a couple of years since Casita discontinued the Patriot, so late model used Patriots do show up for sale from time to time. They never sold very many, though.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Liz,

We tow a 2012 Casita FD 17 with a 2010 Audi Q5 with the 3.2 liter V6. The Casita 17's tend to be tongue-heavy. We towed with 340 and 360 lb tongue weights during our trip last week as measured on a scale.

Yes, the Q5 capacities are 4,400 towing and 440 tongue weight. The payload capacity on ours is 1,278 lbs. The payload capacity on yours appears to be very similar.

For us the payload capacity more than covers the tongue weight, driver and passenger, a pair of 30-lb folding bicycles and minor items such as two small day packs that we like to keep at hand, and jackets and boots in the winter. We don't carry anything on the roof rack.

We had the Audi hitch installed by the dealership at some great cost. It's a good design. I purchased some wiring connectors from a VW dealer and installed a Prodigy P3 brake controller myself.

I estimate that we carry some 600 lbs in the trailer, but that's not been verified on a scale. The published dry weight is 2,480 and we have some options such as the microwave, furnace and awning which add to that figure. So, I estimate that we tow at 3,250 lbs or more.

In our case, I tow without a weight distribution hitch or a sway bar. I have evaluated this carefully under some challenging conditions including freeway towing in the Cascade Mountains and in very high winds along the Columbia River Gorge. I think I am very conservative and I've been well-satisfied with the stability of this arrangement.

The power curve of the 3.2 gasoline engine will never be confused with a diesel as the engine needs to run at a higher speed in order to pull steep grades at speed. We are able to keep up with traffic in all conditions without having the pedal to the floor. By comparison, your 2017 3.0 engine appears to have a similar HP rating at a lower speed, and a significantly better torque rating.

We currently have an Escape 21 on order. It has a similar published tongue weight and about 730 lbs or so additional dry weight. It also has a larger frontal area which will generate more "wind resistance". I will tow it home empty with the Q5 this winter, however we will upgrade our tow vehicle in order to maintain a healthy margin below the rated towing and payload capacities. I expect that we will purchase a Q7. Based on the experience I've had owning the Q5 for two years, Audi has earned my business.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
There is an almost-new Casita 16SD listed for sale in UT at a very fair price with some nice upgrades. We don't see too many late-model 16'ers.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #8

Nevada
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I know your Audi has more power than mine. I am trying to stay very moderate.
My sister has a q7. She loves it but doesn't tow.
Liz
Old 08-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #9

Nevada
Sorry I'm getting used to the side I'm not sure I answered you correctly thank you so much for all of your information was very helpful Nice to know the Audi works well I just wish I had been able to get one with the factory installed hitch so much less expensive
Old 08-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

Nevada
Response to. 16 ft c so for sale Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
There is an almost-new Casita 16SD listed for sale in UT at a very fair price with some nice upgrades. We don't see too many late-model 16'ers.
May I ask where to find the information?
I do not see it isn't thenfor sale list of trailers.
Thanks, Liz
Old 08-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbyluvstogo View Post
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I know your Audi has more power than mine. I am trying to stay very moderate.
My sister has a q7. She loves it but doesn't tow.
Liz
I was trying to say that your 2017 Q5 actually has slightly more power. I have been very comfortable towing with my older Q5 at around 75% of the tow rating and 80% of the rated tongue weight. So, I expect that you will do well towing at or under the loads I described. However, everyone has different expectations so it's always tough to say how something will work for different people.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbyluvstogo View Post
May I ask where to find the information?
I do not see it isn't thenfor sale list of trailers.
Thanks, Liz
Direct link to the ad: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-sd-81211.html