Help with propane setup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Help with propane setup

Hello. I'm dabbling in an area I have very little knowledge of! Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is my planned setup:

(2) 20 lb propane tanks on the tongue of the camper. I want to have auto switch over when one tank empties it goes to the next, then shows red so I know to refill the empty one.

Here's the catch - I'm not running any propane to the camper - I'm only running it to (2) quick connect outlets on the tongue. 1 outlet will be used to run a Honda EU2000i generator with a GenConnectxDirect conversion. The other will be used for a portable gas grill.

So that being said - I assume the generator and the grille all have their own regulators - so I would be running unregulated high pressure to both? But to get the auto changeover feature at the tank I need a regulator with that feature built in? So do I put a high pressure auto change over regulator at the tank, then run to the (2) quick connects? I want the ability to run both at the same time.

I'm sure I'm wrong in the install plan - please let me know the best solution!

Thanks so much in advance!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Great question, I just purchased a kit to put on a generator and want to do the same. Will B looking forward to the answer.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
No practical experience with this set up you mention but... you typically only want one regulator. One at the tank. But I think I have seen fittings that went in front of the trailer regulator to provide full tank pressure to portable grills with own regulator.

So think of a T where base is tank and one side is the trailer regulator leading to trailer line and one side is a connector for use by appliances with own regulator. Bet a call to camping world or similar would get a quick answer on "can I" and with what.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Ask the manufacturer of the products you are connecting to propane or a propane supplier.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:32 AM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Ask the manufacturer of the products you are connecting to propane or a propane supplier.
I did that yesterday, and also got a nice reply thru private message that matched exactly what the GenConnex folks said. If you look at their kit, it has a regulator at the end of the hose that goes on the tank. When you order the kit from them, you just tell them to swap out the hose with a regulator, to a hose without a regulator (they will credit you price). Add a quick connect fitting on the hose and on your normal RV auto changeover / regulator and your good to go!! I'm really glad to see this will work.

As far as the grille, either modify the grille to use low pressure - or tee off the tank line before the regulator. After more thinking, and discussion with the wife - we decided to stay with little green bottles for the grille to be able to cook anywhere instead of within hose reach. We will just look for the little bottle refill adapter.

Thanks again everybody!! I'm glad this was an easy solution!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Surely you’re aware of the “refilling 1 lb. bottles” controversy. As long as you are in the research phase of your project, you might look into dedicated refillable one pound bottles and the supporting equipment. I’ll spare you my url to the story of the guy that blew up his wife while refilling a single use tank. My sense is that, generally, to refill the small bottles you have to invert the 20 lb tank. You want to refill the small tank with propane liquid, not just gas, so the 20 lb. tank gets temporarily inverted so the valve is at the bottom and in the liquid propane. Refilling might not be something you do on the road.

The small tanks designed to be refillable are apparently slightly larger in diameter so there might be some fit interference depending on your stove specifics.

I did something similar but since I do use propane in the trailer and I elected to stay with my high pressure outside stove (I really like my Coleman grill/stove) I don't get the auto changeover feature for my outside supply. I have to move the hose to the other outlet. In the attached picture I'm running my outside stove off the left tank.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0055a.jpg  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Surely you’re aware of the “refilling 1 lb. bottles” controversy. As long as you are in the research phase of your project, you might look into dedicated refillable one pound bottles and the supporting equipment. I’ll spare you my url to the story of the guy that blew up his wife while refilling a single use tank. My sense is that, generally, to refill the small bottles you have to invert the 20 lb tank. You want to refill the small tank with propane liquid, not just gas, so the 20 lb. tank gets temporarily inverted so the valve is at the bottom and in the liquid propane. Refilling might not be something you do on the road.

The small tanks designed to be refillable are apparently slightly larger in diameter so there might be some fit interference depending on your stove specifics.
Hi Steve! NO - I had no idea this was a questionable practice!!! I have not done much (any) reading on it yet. With this being said - now I'm thinking we just continue use and dispose of the little green bottles from Walmart. We actually dont cook all that much since we are not retired and our trips are short - so its not a big deal yet. We only use 3-4 bottles a year.

THANKS very much for adding that to this thread and informing me! I think my wife would be mad at me if I blew her up

Great post!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 07-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
... I think my wife would be mad at me if I blew her up

Great post!!
Not being married, I hear wives are funny about that.

Note: I added a bit to my post while you were posting.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane