Help with solar needed please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We only use solar when we need it ... like when are boondocking at the the
Oshkosh airshow. .

I built a PVC pipe frame with 4-way-cross connectors on each corner and
zip-tie the PVC frame to the solar panel. I split pool noodles and put those
on the side PVC pipes (to protect the gelcoat on our trailer) and often attach
the panel (via bungee cords) to our gravel shield on our Scamp16 Deluxe trailer.
I then connect the solar panel, via a solar charge controller, to the trailer
battery.

If the trailer is ever sitting in the shade, I can use a PVC pipe stand to couple
into the 4-way-cross joints and set the stand and panel in full sun.

A 35 watt panel (2 amps per hour of sunlight) is sufficient to usually
recharge our overnight battery usage.

You could probably do something similar with your Kodiak B+.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
20170724_113438.jpg   20170724_113504.jpg  

rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #22

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
I'll be using a 100w panel on my Boler. For now if opted to attaching the panel to removable cross-members on my car roof rack. That way I can charge the panel while driving and detach it when camping to locate the sun. I didn't really want to put any more hole in the roof...
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
My first solar system was a 50 watt panel that I set out and leaned against the truck. It had a lamp cord and alligator clips to get to the battery, with an ammeter wired into the cord. All I wanted to run was the water pump and some lights.

I later plugged a little cheapo volt meter into the cigarette lighter socket to monitor the battery. These things are easily found on Amazon and give a lot of information.

I no longer take a generator, and I prefer not to run cables from the truck while camping. So, solar is proving to be a great way to keep the batteries up. Since, with me, usage will always rise to meet capacity, I now have four batteries, and a 300 watt system, soon to be a 600 watt system, as the extra panels are in the garage waiting to be installed.

As it stands now, we can watch a movie in the evening, run all of the LED lights we want, use the built in propane heater and fridge, and charge two computers and two phones. If I really want to slam the system, I might make a cup of tea in the microwave.

I recently added an electric bike. That really taxes the system, in its 300 watt configuration, but doesn't need to be charged very often, and can be done while driving such that the tow is supplying the power. And then to add insult to injury, I just added an electric coffee maker. Yikes! I have enough energy budget to have a lot of luxury items and part of the fun is having these things run off the sun.

I don't have a very sophisticated monitoring system, but I can see the amps going into the batteries, their present voltage, and get a rested voltage first thing in the morning. So I know if I'm keeping up, or not.

Remember too that a tracking system on a given set of collectors, will produce about 250% of what the same set of panels will produce if simply laid flat. So, a 100 watt suitcase system, manually adjusted during the day, can perform better than expected if simply comparing specs with a flat system. But flat systems on the roof require no setup and are always available if there is any sun.

I recently installed an MPPT controller and monitor on my system. Then I discovered that it was actually producing a little bit of power while parked under my carport! Apparently just from reflected light off the underside of the metal roof. It's only about .4 watt, but I had no idea it would do that.

Tags
solar