hf 8012 Heater motor replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: Lance
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 1988 B13.5
Alberta
hf 8012 Heater motor replacement

Hello all. I have a 1988 lil bigfoot 13. My hydroflame heater hf 8012 finally failed via motor.

Everywhere I looked and researched I couldn't find a replacement.

Thank you to rvpartsonlinecanada.com, and one of our local RV parts places I was able to source an alternative motor that bolted right in.

The only difference was wire placement coming out of the motor which works out fine.

The replacement motor is an Attwood 31036.

Hopefully get the furnace back in within a few days to give it a start up.

Lance
Drtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #2

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtriumph View Post
Hello all. I have a 1988 lil bigfoot 13. My hydroflame heater hf 8012 finally failed via motor.

Everywhere I looked and researched I couldn't find a replacement.

Thank you to rvpartsonlinecanada.com, and one of our local RV parts places I was able to source an alternative motor that bolted right in.

The only difference was wire placement coming out of the motor which works out fine.

The replacement motor is an Attwood 31036.

Hopefully get the furnace back in within a few days to give it a start up.

Lance
Thanks Lance. I am working on an old 8012-I myself that I picked up for my 1990 B19 and it's got a pretty decent squeal to it. Thanks for the part number

If you don't mind, what is the difference in wire placement? I can get one on order but might as well know what I'm facing before it shows up.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #3

Name: Lance
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 1988 B13.5
Alberta
I am glad that it helped you out. That is the good thing about forums.
Drtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:47 PM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Deb the motor should just wire right in. I think wiring color was different, determine what is positive and negative. I took a photo of motor wiring before I took it apart. The aluminum fan ( called a combustion wheel) on the motor was a serious problem It is held it place with Allen screw, Hard to get access to it. a small torch to heat the shaft at the fan mounting point can loosen the screw. I could never get the old fan off the old motor, had to buy a new fan on eBay I could not find it on Amazon. the fan is made of very strong fiber mat. perfect replacement for the aluminum fan. it is called a combustion wheel #33124. the motor #31036 is good at Amazon. I replaced the Sail switch while I had it apart. # ?.
the old sail switch was still good.
I had to cut the power cord going into the heater housing. I just soldered the wires back together when I put it back in place
Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 12:02 PM   #5

British Columbia
Hi Kenny. I've managed to get a new motor en route - Even though I seem to have this one running pretty well, I know it's only a matter of time before it quits. I've managed to get the Allen screws out of both the circulating fan and the combustion fan. But that doesn't mean the fans want to come off!!! I think when it come time to put the new motor in, I'll get a good dose of pb blaster on both ends, and see if i can get them moving. I suspect not. But at this point I'm in no rush. Not going anywhere for a few months yet. Thanks for the part numbers! I think I'll order some replacements while I'm at it. Might wait to see if I am able to convince the old ones to come off.

My next problem is heat - no heat. Troubleshooting that right now, and I think I have narrowed it down to the board.... New thread on that just to confirm my results.

Getting quite familiar with the guts of this though!!!
Old 02-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #6

British Columbia
31036 replaced by 31384?

Well, in my hunt for motors and other parts, I have discovered that (apparently) the 31036 motor has been replaced by 31384 - this is according to "getrvparts.com". I'm going to do a bit more research into that, to make sure that the somewhat double sub into an HD8012D will work. Original 31035, subbed by 31036 then subbed by 31384... Might be more than will fit.

Still working on getting the wheels off the old one. That's going to be the hard part! Can't get replacements up here without paying through the nose for shipping from the US. So I have to be very careful trying to gently coax the old ones off. I can get the Allen screws out, but the wheels don't want to budge... yet. I will probably just put it in my lap with a couple of screwdrivers and slowly try to work it off from below while I watch TV or something.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #7

British Columbia
The 31384MC motor from MCEnterprz is compatible with the HF8012D - got the reply back from them. So it is their replacement for the OEM 31036 and will work in place of a OEM 31035.

I managed to get then fans off the old motor. Cut the orange & black leads and put spade connectors on the wires for faster re & re next time. Easier than having to access the actual spade connectors that are inside the furnace. I can see them easily enough, just accessing them easily. Faster to cut and reconnect.

Squirrel cage came off easier than I thought. The combustion wheel was a bit harder, and took some PB Blaster. Since it wouldn't move at all, even after the PBB, I tapped it farther onto the shaft to try to loosen it from it's decades long seat on the shaft. That made a difference. Was able to start prying it gently and bit by bit, it came loose.

Once the fans were off, I was able to get at the motor and do a proper clean-up and attempt at lubricating with some 3-in-1 machine oil. Cleaned everything up, reassembled and am now testing it back down in the garage. Has been running very quiet for about a half hour, so I have shut it down and I'll let it sit for a couple of days, in the cold garage, then start it up again to see if the squeal does indeed appear to be gone.

So success with the fans, success with the heat (crack in the circuit board - fixed it with a touch of solder and a bridge wire). All I need to do now is hope it holds up and/or I never need it
Old 02-23-2022, 03:32 PM   #8

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
So success with the fans, success with the heat (crack in the circuit board - fixed it with a touch of solder and a bridge wire).
Oh, this is wonderful. You'll inspire others to take on this job I bet.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:34 PM   #9

Name: Dana
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
New heater to replace HF 8012?

Hi all.

My 1983 il Bigfoot still has the original HF 8012, which is temperamental. Seems to work once per year, right after I pay for RV tech tune up.

Loud squeal with start up, if it stops relatively quickly I can get heat. If it takes a while to lose the squeal only blows cold air.

As I have paid several times to repair it without luck, I'd like to replace the whole thing.

Anyone know of a good option to replace the whole unit?

I do not have the technical skills to do this on my own, but @Deb, I'm quite close to you- in the Okanagan- you should start a school to teach others how to maintain their units ;-). I'd come!

thanks in advance,
Dana
RVnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:57 AM   #10

Name: Frank
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream
Nevada
Registry
Lance, I had a pretty good squeal in my furnace motor also. I took the motor apart, cleaned everything up, oiled the bearings put it all back together and have had no noise. It has been working for a couple outings so far, one of these outings was to Wyoming where I used the heater quite a lot but I expect it won't last much longer. Thanks for the link, might just get a new motor before the next trip!
canyon Rafter is offline   Reply With Quote