Hiding our Porta Potty... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Hiding our Porta Potty...

Our Boler had no potty compartment under front bunk. Where can we stash this during the day? Our Boler is too low to hide it underneath. Forget the closet. What do others do??
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:28 AM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
How about under the bed or you could disguise it with a slipcover to look like a footstool and keep it out or you could put it outside (with or without a privacy tent).

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:37 AM   #3

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Not sure of Boler set up, but would it slide under front dinette when made into a bed? I use the Dometic porta pottie that scamp sells and I can check to see if it fits if you like. Youd just have to slide it down on main floor easy.

I know many other folks have made storage here under their bunks, some with sliding mechanisms to pull and push porta pottie out of storage.

I've cut the fiberglass interior to make a new cabinet in lower part of closet, as many others have done. Is this possible for you, with additional glassed in inner supports?

I'm off to work, but others will have ideas soon. Plenty of posts here on the subject too, with a search. Even if you search on Google "adding porta pottie storage" and add FGRV to the search, links come up.

Good luck, best wishes,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Don't know how it would work in the closet because the wheel well in there.
My 79 has the front bench cut in the center of front bunk with a large door in front. easy enough to make if your model didn't come made this way but make sure you have height enough before you begin
The outside privacy tent is the way I would go if staying in one camp for an extended time butt (ooops) a pain in the butt if I was staying for just a few nights and bad weather because you would have to pack it away wet.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Early Bolers lack the notched recess under the front sofa, so no room there. A solid frame member runs the full width across the front, leaving only about 6-8" between the sofa and the full-width raised floor. Closet is a no-go due to the wheel well.

Hafta say... the frame modification that created the porta-potty garage was a stroke of genius on someone's part...

It would fit under the dinette during the day, and I like Gilda's suggestion of a cover to make it a footstool. Wouldn't fly with my wife though- the very thought of a toilet just inches under her food - and I don't think it would fit under the dinette at night- my recollection is only about 13" of clearance with the table down.

Not too many options, I'm afraid. The outside pop-up cabana is one. I've seen a few people (that cooked outside and used an ice chest) turn the fridge space into porta-potty storage.

Here's one more... if you don't need the front sofa as a bed, this mod creates an enclosed porta-potty space while preserving the open feel of the trailer and a seating spot. It's not mine- just happened to see it and thought it well executed, so saved it to my "Ideas" folder...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Bathroom Mod.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	106065
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry

A. Stow it in your TV during the day.

B. slipcover it and use it as a stool or footstool (extra seating, perhaps for the kiddies) OR as a helping step up for the pets. Depending on needs and heights, of course.

C. Leave it out in the middle in the open and decorate your trailer around it--a nice outhouse theme. In the 60s it was considered funny.

BESt
Kai
Old 05-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
This system is easier to stow than a standard ports potty. It also sets up taller and at night easily in the doorway of a scamp/boler 13. (I know some aren't fond of this system, but it does stow easily!

https://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-Go...+potty+wag+bag
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
How about under the bed or you could disguise it with a slipcover to look like a footstool and keep it out or you could put it outside (with or without a privacy tent).

We are going to try this approach in our Campster. We do have a cubby under the closet where it fits but not much room to use it inside. We bought the pop up on Amazon but have not tried it yet. Our thought is to have something close for those middle of the night bio emergencies.

We may haul the porta potty in the pickup to free up that cubby for other stuff.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #9

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Assuming you want to be able to use it in the daytime, not just storage? We're considering one of those tiny toilet tents, too. Many tent companies make them.
I'm also going to try rigging a curved shower rod type thingie across the back of the Burro with a flexible rod and use one of those tent partition walls that we've never used, but never thrown out.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
We used a curved shower rod.... available at bed bath beyond/osh/lowes/ home depot
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #11

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
We used a curved shower rod.... available at bed bath beyond/osh/lowes/ home depot
those only have what, 6 or 8 inches of curve? How is that large enough to enclose the toilet?
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #12

Actually i remembet that i filled the tube w/sand and was able to change the curve
Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #13

Some plastic pipe/tubing is more forgiving as well
If your old enough think
Hula Hoop
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #14

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Hiding in plain sight

I think we will try hiding it under the dinette table/bed or in our TV. Plan on pulling out potty for night/early-morning use only! Thanks to all for your ideas. We will figure something out! Lol!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #15

Name: Erik
Trailer: 1978 surfside triple e
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Our Boler had no potty compartment under front bunk. Where can we stash this during the day? Our Boler is too low to hide it underneath. Forget the closet. What do others do??
I live on Vancouver island and thus dont need alot of heat when we camp. Own a 1978 Surfside and removed the furnace. The space was perfect to store the porta potty and I kept the exterior vent incase of any smells. So far no issues except removing the furnace was a job from hell.
Erik F is offline   Reply With Quote