High Voltage at Campground - Challenge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Thanks, guys. Now I have something else to worry about! Seriously, does anyone have a good suggestion for a moderately priced but effective surge protector? I'm not too worried about the voltage dropping too low, but I'd like to catch any spikes.
If you have an air conditioner then you should be worried about low voltage. Most other things that are common in campers tend to not be damaged by low voltage, but low voltage is about the most common defect in shore power at campgrounds. If you only want to protect a computer, cell phone or the like, then a good strip outlet with surge protection should suffice. If you want to protect the entire camper and the occupants (as I think most people should do), then just surge protection is not enough. A Energy Management System with Surge Protections, such as the Progressive Industries units, would be hard to beat
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
surge protector

Gordon you combine all his stuff you come up with some pretty strong amperage including startup draw on the a/c.

maybe start everything else for a bit then crank on the a/c. some 5amp surge protector wont do it.

Some big ships now demand up to 50amp service.

its a problem

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #23

Missouri
John I don't know anything from some of the comments. Here is my idea learned some of it from my ham radio days. Some el. companies fudge that incoming line to that thing at the top of the pole carries very high voltage and high amperage it has to because it travels so far.

Think of that transformer at the top of the pole as a big faucet to regulate water flow bacisicly electricity the same concept too much water pressure can ruin things. I have seen pressure regulators in houses due to this by the way. I was astounded when I first saw one. What in the h is that?

Now that transformer is going bad or something else is going on because there is no regulation when it runs that much voltage past the meter. The el. company is really being negligent here but good luck sueing them! They will have a million excuses now the campground owner should be doing the complaining.

I hope this splains part of it I think the el. company has lazy people out there working that don't want to do their job!

hope this helps

bob
Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #24

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

I appreciate all the comments. It looks like "excessive" voltage at the campground is a rare occurrence, but some of us have experienced it. It looks like there are devices out there to help boost voltage, but no easy answers for cutting voltage. One option is to move to another site perhaps on another loop. Of course, this is not always an option.

In terms of adaptations, I guess I could plug my cube heater into an extension cord and connect it directly to the post's 15 amp outlet. This allows me to continue using my Progressive EMS to protect the trailer, but bypassing the system to use my cube heater, coffee pot, etc. Of course these items are being exposed to higher voltage, but I would rather risk my coffee pot than my Casita's AC, water heater, etc.

I will continue to research if the are any ways to bleed off a few volts of electricity if it is running more than 10% above 120V.

Thanks,

Dean
Old 10-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #25

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We have a voltage regular it clamps at + or - 1/4 volt 80v to 160v becomes 115v but it is heavy. Our trailer is 15 amp service. Intend to add surge protection as it cost us big time last summer when the voltage went over 160v ENOUGH to blow a board in the furnace.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #26

Missouri
bordon I have what you need it weighs 100lb its called a voltage variac I use to use them to run voltage up and down on power transformers in my amplifier transformers. Boost the voltage and watch the power output of the transmitter.

You could install a meter in this thing and have exactly 110v or 120v either case works. then it would need to be mounted on an additinional trailer to haul it around place to place.

This is the concept used by power stations only on a much lower scale! I do know these problems exist I have never seen it but my neighbor lost a bunch of stuff due to excessive high voltage off a 110v line at a campground. Some electronics wont handle high voltage its not in their DNA!!

bob